Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's play a game. In this game, when you win a Grand Slam, instead of gaining one point, you gain zero + one per opponent's GS title count (at the time). So if your final opponent has 5 Slams, you gain 5 points. At the end, we sum it all up for a Total and also calculate the Average points gained per GS win.

Neat, isn't it?

Introducing our players:
Roger Federer
Rafael Nadal
Novak Djokovic

Federer:
2003 Wimbledon Mark Philippoussis - 0 points
2004 Australian Open Marat Safin - 1 point
2004 Wimbledon Andy Roddick - 1 point
2004 US Open Lleyton Hewitt - 2 points
2005 Wimbledon Andy Roddick - 1 point
2005 US Open Andre Agassi - 8 points
2006 Australian Open Marcos Baghdatis - 0 points
2006 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal - 2 points
2006 US Open Andy Roddick - 1 point
2007 Australian Open Fernando González - 0 points
2007 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal - 3 points
2007 US Open Novak Djokovic - 0 points
2008 US Open Andy Murray - 0 points
2009 French Open Robin Söderling - 0 points
2009 Wimbledon Andy Roddick - 1 point
2010 Australian Open Andy Murray - 0 points
2012 Wimbledon Andy Murray - 0 points
-------------------------------------
Total: 20 points in 17 Slam wins (1.17647058824 average per win)

Nadal:
2005 French Open Mariano Puerta - 0 points
2006 French Open Roger Federer - 7 points
2007 French Open Roger Federer - 10 points
2008 French Open Roger Federer - 12 points
2008 Wimbledon Roger Federer - 12 points
2009 Australian Open Roger Federer - 13 points
2010 French Open Robin Söderling - 0 points
2010 Wimbledon Tomáš Berdych - 0 points
2010 US Open Novak Djokovic - 1 point
2011 French Open Roger Federer - 16 points
2012 French Open Novak Djokovic - 5 points
2013 French Open David Ferrer - 0 points
2013 US Open Novak Djokovic - 6 points
2014 French Open Novak Djokovic - 6 points
------------------------------------------
Total: 88 points in 14 Slam wins (6.28571428571 average per win)

Djokovic:
2008 Australian Open Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - 0 points
2011 Australian Open Andy Murray - 0 points
2011 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal - 10 points
2011 US Open Rafael Nadal - 10 points
2012 Australian Open Rafael Nadal - 10 points
2013 Australian Open Andy Murray - 1 point
2014 Wimbledon Roger Federer - 17 points
2015 Australian Open Andy Murray - 2 points
2015 Wimbledon Roger Federer - 17 points
----------------------------------------
Total: 67 points in 9 Slam wins (7.44444444444 average per win)

Feel free to post the numbers for other players (current or past alike).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
We already knew that Federer played in a weak era and that Rafa is the true GOAT :shrug:

Reactions: Chokehater

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The numbers speak for themselves. I also added some visual indicators for those of you with shorter attention spans.

·
29,637 Posts
Arsen old chap, rather than the F, why don't we add points from all 'at the time' GS champs beaten in the said tournament? So from 1R all the way to F.

For example del Potro would gain quite a bit of points in this due to playing Ferrero (1 GS), Nadal (6 GS at the time) and Federer (15 at the time)

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arsen old chap, rather than the F, why don't we add points from all 'at the time' GS champs beaten in the said tournament? So from 1R all the way to F.

For example del Potro would gain quite a bit of points in this due to playing Ferrero (1 GS), Nadal (6 GS at the time) and Federer (15 at the time)
I didn't have time to gather those stats (it would take considerably more effort), but I welcome anyone who is interested to open a new thread for that (if you do, link it here please).

For now, I have established a format in this thread, and people are welcome to add their favourite players as well. It would be interesting to see how some players from the past fared in this regard.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Well for Stan, Nadal had 13 and Djokovic had 8. So that's 21 points total and 10.5 average.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well for Stan, Nadal had 13 and Djokovic had 8. So that's 21 points total and 10.5 average.
Yep, Stan had it tough without a doubt.

Stan is obviously better than all three.
No, but statistically speaking, he had a tougher challenge than Federer in any of his finals, or Nadal and Djokovic in some of theirs.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, this is just an idea I had. I didn't know how the numbers would turn out, and it's not contrived to serve any purpose.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
ha

all this shows is that if you beat old and declining players who USED to be good (such as Nadal and Federer currently), then you are rewarded with higher "points" in this fabricated "game"

if an era is so weak that a 34yo servebot with no FH/BH is still #2 in the world and still making GS finals, then apparently that means you're such a great player because you are racking up the "points" based on your twisted definition

Federer beat people who were too young to be good
Djokovic beat people who are too old to be good
Nadal beat both of them, but still isnt GOAT caliber

fun to tweak numbers/stats to prove whatever you want to prove

·
Registered
894 Posts
Novak's 0 point victories are gonna increase once he starts denying slams to Zverev/Rublev/Coric generation

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
ha

all this shows is that if you beat old and declining players who USED to be good (such as Nadal and Federer currently), then you are rewarded with higher "points" in this fabricated "game"

if an era is so weak that a 34yo servebot with no FH/BH is still #2 in the world and still making GS finals, then apparently that means you're such a great player because you are racking up the "points" based on your twisted definition

fun to tweak numbers/stats to prove whatever you want to prove
Nobody wants to prove anything. It's just a game. :D

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
I'm convinced! OP has found the true GOAT. Stan.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
FWIW, this measures the second derivative, and not the first - change in slams over time rather than (total slams).

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I didn't have time to gather those stats (it would take considerably more effort), but I welcome anyone who is interested to open a new thread for that (if you do, link it here please).

For now, I have established a format in this thread, and people are welcome to add their favourite players as well. It would be interesting to see how some players from the past fared in this regard.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=30720674#post30720674
Just started one...:wavey: But I'm updating it post by post/player by player, as it takes a long time to do for one player alone...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let's play who beat Federer for their slams! Sorry to all the players before Federer because unlike Rafa and Novak you guys can't become GOAT since unbiased and intelligent analysts like finishingmove, who got their GED from MTF, make ground breaking threads like this one thinking that they made a statistical discovery to finally prove their fave is GOAT!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts