Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhat of a continuation of Slasher's previous threads("who pushed vs who hit") for RG. You can see the old thread at http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=466666&highlight=hit+pushed+way

I added a new table to compare the "aggressiveness" of the Wimbledon quarterfinalists. See below...

Some interesting things to point out:
- AO seems to be have the "slowest" surface - most difficult to hit winners and/or force the opponent to make forced errors
- When you look at the stats for Wimbledon, without making any adjustments for serve and return advantage/disadvantage, Raonic seems to be the most "aggressive" player and Federer one of the least aggressive ones. However, when you make adjustments, you see that e.g. players like Raonic, Kyrgios and Cilic are much more passive without the serve... which for players like Kyrgios and Raonic is rather intuitive since they rely heavily on the serve... it's a little surprising for Cilic though...

If you want to take a look at the file(see explanation,formulas, details etc.) you can download it at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9MuBmYMmVHyQUtaUFA0S2pDMFk/edit

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Can you explain what all of this stuff means? No adj? adj for SA? Looks like fucking tennis algebra.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you explain what all of this stuff means? No adj? adj for SA? Looks like fucking tennis algebra.
You can find the the explanation in Slasher's previous thread(see OP) or in the file.

Here is a brief legend:
SA - Serve Advantage
RDA - Return Disadvantage
TP - Total Points
W - Winners
FE - Forced Errors by Opponent
UE - Unforced Errors
A - Ace
DF - Double Faults

Essentially, we are looking at how many of the points were won using aggressive shots(those that produced winners/forced errors) vs the other. I included measures for SA and RDA because in a lot of the points the quality of serve, quality of return determines how aggressive a player is and can be.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I absolutely love the work being done with this. I posted the original stats for it back in January and I've been thinking about starting a website with it. I will also take credit for the original idea :cool:. But really you've gone above and beyond with your work. I'd love to see it done for the whole tour.

Tennis needs far more efficiency stats.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I absolutely love the work being done with this. I posted the original stats for it back in January and I've been thinking about starting a website with it. I will also take credit for the original idea :cool:. But really you've gone above and beyond with your work. I'd love to see it done for the whole tour.

Tennis needs far more efficiency stats.
I agree with you, tennis is one of the sports for which we have the least amount of stats/analysis.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
You can find the the explanation in Slasher's previous thread(see OP) or in the file.

Here is a brief legend:
SA - Serve Advantage
RDA - Return Disadvantage
TP - Total Points
W - Winners
FE - Forced Errors by Opponent
UE - Unforced Errors
A - Ace
DF - Double Faults

Essentially, we are looking at how many of the points were won using aggressive shots(those that produced winners/forced errors) vs the other. I included measures for SA and RDA because in a lot of the points the quality of serve, quality of return determines how aggressive a player is and can be.
Ah. I see.

Good stuff. :yeah:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Kyrgios is the least aggressive player remaining this Wimbledon? Okay.
How aggressive a player is also depends on other factors which I have not included in the analysis (e.g. the type of player your are facing). If I dig in the data, I see that Kyrgios "seems" to have been very passive in his R1 vs Stephane Robert (you can check the stats here). This skews a little bit his numbers. If we take out that match, his measure goes close to the other boys.
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/stats/day9/1158ms.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts