Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest issue of Tennis Magazine graded most of the "top" U.S. Commentators (using a U.S. standard A to F) scale. Here are the commentators and grades:

Jimmy Arias- A-
Darren Cahil- A-
Mary Carillo- B-
Cliff Drysdale- B
Dick Enberg- C+
Mary Joe Fernandez- B-
John McEnroe- A
Patrick McEroe- A
Ted Robinson- C
Pam Shriver- A-

What grades would the MTF give?

·
Registered
810 Posts
The latest issue of Tennis Magazine graded most of the "top" U.S. Commentators (using a U.S. standard A to F) scale. Here are the commentators and grades:

Jimmy Arias- A-
Darren Cahil- A-
Mary Carillo- B-
Cliff Drysdale- B
Dick Enberg- C+
Mary Joe Fernandez- B-
John McEnroe- A
Patrick McEroe- A
Ted Robinson- C
Pam Shriver- A-

I'd demote Enberg and Robinson to flunking grades. P-Mac should only be at B at most, since he lets his personal likes and dislikes affect his commentating, something his brother seems immune to. Cahill should get only a B+ (he gets a downtick due to annoying, nasal voice). Arias is better than Cahill, so A- sounds right, but he's very good, and I expect him to rise to A level soon. Carillo is nothing more than average (C) these days, quite a comedown from her A days, back when she was actually interested in tennis, rather than gossiping with Tracy Austin (to whom, BTW, I would give a C-).

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Arias and Cahill are my favorites, followed by the McEnroe brothers and Pam Shriver.

I love that Arias calls it as he sees it, and I have enjoyed Cahill's commentary from the get go. You can often tell that JMac has a dog in the fight, and PMac can not let a match go without mentioning Agassi or Roddick- but I think John has some good insight at times as does PMac- who has started to acknowledge that folks thinks he talks too much about AA and AR. Robinson and Austin are the worst to me. Blah. I would like to hear more of Chanda Rubin- who has done a good job in her initial outings.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The Mcenroe brothers are both very goood, but John is a little better. I also think Cahill is pretty goood. I really really dislike Robinson though. He's very annoying, uses the same tone constantly, and seems to never shut up, whether it be a break or set point in a tightly contested match.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Arias and Cahill are my favorites, followed by the McEnroe brothers and Pam Shriver.

I love that Arias calls it as he sees it, and I have enjoyed Cahill's commentary from the get go. You can often tell that JMac has a dog in the fight, and PMac can not let a match go without mentioning Agassi or Roddick- but I think John has some good insight at times as does PMac- who has started to acknowledge that folks thinks he talks too much about AA and AR. Robinson and Austin are the worst to me. Blah. I would like to hear more of Chanda Rubin- who has done a good job in her initial outings.
I like Cahill a lot. Liked him as a player too, so maybe I'm just biased that way. He is knowledgeable about tennis and he doesn't annoy the way Gilbert used to. I like John because sometimes it's fun to listen to somebody so obviously opinionated. Don't like P-mac because he licks Roddick's ass and that I cannot abide. Arias is excellent. Robinson is awful and honestly, I'm not crazy about Carillo either. I don't appreciate listening to her prejudices against Serena Williams. Could quite do without ever listening to Enberg again.

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
Jimmy Arias- A-
Great insights. Terrible voice.

Darren Cahil- A-
:hearts:

Mary Carillo- B-
C. Used to be very good but she's become too enamored with her own witticisms and the constant fan girling over Roger while bashing everybody else for not being Roger is too much.

Cliff Drysdale- B
I don't care how senile he gets, I need me some Cliffy love :inlove:

Dick Enberg- C+
D. Needs to be put out to pasture a la Bud Collins.

Mary Joe Fernandez- B-
I like her best of all the female commentators but she's still blah.

John McEnroe- A
Love him. He tends to ramble and talk about himself too much but I'll forgive him because he's honest, tells it like it is without being politically correct, doesn't kiss anybody's ass, and loves to call out players b.s. Mucho appreciated, Johnny.

Patrick McEroe- A
Underrated commentator. Great enthusiasm for the game. Does in fact know what he's talking about (sorry haters). As for his supposed bias I don't think licks Andy's ass any more than he does Roger's and Rafa's.

Ted Robinson- C
Nothing special here.

Pam Shriver- A-
D. Hate listening to this woman. Hate looking at her.

Adding: A+ for Jim Courier and Andre Agassi. :cool:

D for talkativeness, the one weakness all American commentators are afflicted with. Silence can be golden. When they learn to shut up then they will be perfect.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are my grades:

Jimmy Arias- A. Solid and not afraid to criticize players.
Darren Cahil- A- Moving to the top with nice strategic analysis.
Mary Carillo- F Annoying beyond belief, and smug beyond imagination.
Cliff Drysdale- B Vet who lets matches play out with minimal interference. Like your favorite uncle.
Dick Enberg- F- The most annoying commentator in the history of tennis. NO redeeming qualities as a commentator. "OH MY!!! Please GO THE FREAK AWAY"!
Mary Joe Fernandez- B+ I actually think she does a nice job with the women's "matches".
John McEnroe- A The maestro. Makes even the most boring match entertaining.
Patrick McEroe- A Little Mac is EXCELLENT. Not afraid to show his emotions. Had announcing moment of the year when he almost blurted out an expletive after Rafa's backhand against Djokovic in Canada. See clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oigWgVuRFOs
Ted Robinson- B Actually does a nice job as the "set-up" man for Johnny Mac.
Pam Shriver- A- Outrageous at times, but entertaining with her criticisms.

One other left out:

Jim Courier- A The heir apparent to Johnny Mac's reign.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts

Jimmy Arias- A-
Darren Cahil- A-
Mary Carillo- B-
Cliff Drysdale- B
Dick Enberg- C+
Mary Joe Fernandez- B-
John McEnroe- A
Patrick McEroe- A
Ted Robinson- C
Pam Shriver- A-

Jimmy Arias- B- : Just because you have great knowledge of the game doesn't make you a great commentator, Jimmy Arias is a testament to that thought. While Jimmy's insights into a match might be spot on and albeit often interesting, his voice is simply not pleasing to listen to. Arias's pseudo-lisp and high pitched voice knock him down a full letter grade. Jimmy if you are reading this, please go to broadcasting school and work on projection, and pitch control.

Darren Cahil- A+ : Darren is a legend, and he we speaks tennis fans listen. After coaching Lleyton Hewitt and Andre Agassi against most of the players currently on tour he knows first hand about the strengths and weaknesses of the game's best. Darren also has a natural TV persona, and speaks very well, making him in my opinion the best pure "play by play" Tennis commentator American television has to offer.

Mary Carillo- A: Mary Carillo has a lovable on air persona coupled with years of tennis experience and the best speaking voice in Tennis commentating bar none. Mary isn't afraid to bash players for their lack of effort, and praise losers for showing heart in defeat. Mary is one of the few commentators in any sport that can make watching a boring contest interesting.

Cliff Drysdale- D+: Cliff is just getting too old, his insights into match play are poor, he makes many mistakes confusing players names and places, and he repeats the same facts about players over and over(sometimes several times in a match). In many ways Cliff is the worst tennis commentator on television, his voice isn't particularly pleasing, his knowledge of the players is limited to his cue cards provided by ESPN, and he doesn't sound particularly bright when he talks. A match with Cliff is filled with a lot of garbage information...Cliff if you are reading this you could improve simply by shutting up and turning up volume the on court microphones. Drysdale doesn't fail completely just because of his long history with the game, and the quisi-nostalgic feel he brings to then tennis matches he commentates.

Dick Enberg- C+: Dick Enberg suffers from many of the problems that Cliff Drysdale does but Dick Enberg is just a much better commentator. His "Oh my!" catch phrase is a little annoying at times, and he does make his share of mistakes. Dick however, unlike Cliff Drysdale has a much better voice than Cliff, and a much more charismatic persona. The best part about Dick, is that he knows when to shut up and let the viewers enjoy a tennis match.

Mary Joe Fernandez- C+: Mary Joe Fernandez is a bland commentator. She won't ruin a match for you like Cliff can, but she can't entertain you when a match is boring like Mary Carillo, John McEnroe, or Jim Courier can. She's boring but adequate.

John McEnroe- A+: For years, John Enroe has been the premiere commentator in the sport. It's only fitting for a guy who was the most entertaining on court, to be also the most entertaining off it as well. John brings everything into the booth, brilliant insights into the game, a pleasing voice, he has inside knowledge on the players, he's funny, he's a legend, and he's got that Mac Phone!

Patrick McEroe- A-:Over the past year and a half Patrick has become a better commentator. Anyone else notice that he gives more tennis insight now than ever before? If you add that to the fact that he's been using his annoying catch phrases alot less, he's really become an A list tennis commentator. Pmac still has a tendency to make vague comparisons to other sports, and go off topic completely but his tennis insights are spot on when he makes them. Overall, he can be very entertaining when he's into a match albeit it's sensationalism at it's best.

Ted Robinson- B+: Many tennis fans hate Ted, and I just can't see why. Ted has a great voice for television, although he may not have the greatest amount of tennis knowledge. I enjoy watching matches where Ted is teamed up with someone who has some real tennis insight because he works well in a tandem.

Pam Shriver- D-: Pam is annoying, so annoying. Pam's voice is naggy, and her tennis insights are spotty. Pam is the worst tennis commentator for Women's tennis. Get Pam out of the booth!

Martina Navratilova- A: Martina is simply awesome, whether she commentating men's or women's tennis. Just like John McEnroe she can bring it all to the booth.

Jim Courier- A: Jim is a little bit more edgier than John McEnroe but in some ways I think that makes him better. He's got a great voice, a wealth of tennis knowledge, and he can be really funny/really hard on the players. Jim Courier is the sort of commentator that reminds you of one your buddies that you go to bar with, have a beer or two, and talk about a match while it's on tv.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While Jimmy's insights into a match might be spot on and albeit often interesting, his voice is simply not pleasing to listen to.
Good point.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Jimmy Arias- B+ (Indifferent to him)
Darren Cahil- B+ (Hasn't heard much of him but he was pretty annoying at Wimbledon last year)
Mary Carillo- B- (She used to be okay, she went through a Williams sister hating/Sharapova loving patch, now she's alright...ps. she sounds like a man)
Cliff Drysdale- B- (He's good with the technical stuff, but he seems like a dumbass)
Dick Enberg- C (Not very good, or professional. All he can say is "oh my" and he just is up in the booth to watch some tennis)
Mary Joe Fernandez- B (She's okay, but she certainly picks on certain players, though she never accomplished as much...Favors certain players, *cough, Maria S)
John McEnroe- A (Very professional, though he had a temper tandrum on the court, he is pretty reserved but still animated in commentary)
Patrick McEroe- B (He knows tennis pretty well but could he be any more of a Roddick lover. He must give the guy blowjobs everytime he critiques a match of his)
Ted Robinson- D (HORRIBLE, he is an idiot. Why is he even there?)
Pam Shriver- B+ (I've always liked Pam for some reason, but at times it's unbearable)

**Katrina Adams= F (horrible horrible horrible)
**Tim Ryan= B (He doesn't know much, but he wasn't a pain)
**Chris Fowler = C (he should STICK TO FOOTBALL)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Jimmy Arias- A- I haven't heard much from him so I won't change the grade.

Darren Cahil- A Has a really good insight into the modern players due to his recent coaching of champions.

Mary Carillo- B+ I've grown to like her more as time goes on. She has a lot of personality which many commentators lack..

Cliff Drysdale- C I simply think he's too old to be effective anymore. I wasn't around to hear his earliest years but nowadays he can't remember or pronounce any player's name. All he seems to know about players born after 1970 is due to a factbook of their hometown/well publicized story like Sharapova, which he details every single match as if everyone in the tennis world has been living under a rock and he's sharing new information :lol:

Dick Enberg- C Just doesn't really add anything IMO. He lacks that 'tennis specialization' that I like in a lot of commentators. More of a multi-sport commentator they decided to thrown into the tennis scene.

Mary Joe Fernandez- B+ I like her alot, the only player I don't like for her to commentate is Davenport b/c they are obviously good friends and it doens't work well. But she seems to know alot about the players and often is the only one on many WTA tournaments especially that I can stand to listen to.

John McEnroe- A+ My favorite I think. He knows his stuff and has an insight that only a champion can have. He's always entertaining.

Patrick McEroe- C+ I can't stand him shouting 'hello!' everytime someone hits a winner... & as much as I would like for Roddick to do well, PMac can not remove his head from Andy's ass for a second during a match.

Ted Robinson- C+ pretty much serves the purpose of asking questions for Carillo or JMac to answer...

Pam Shriver- C I'm just not a fan of her voice or her general attitude. Her bitching about only certain players gets old (remember her holding the stopwatch timing Pierce's serving time during the FO :lol: ...)

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The McEnroe brothers are easily the best, then Arias. Brad Gilbert was one of my favorites to listen to, the guy knows his stuff, and he was amusing with his names and such for players like "Ralph Nader." :lol:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I think is truly clear: no commentator has been as...um..."unique" as Thomas Blake...a.k.a. Sideshow Blake.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think the Agassi surprise commenter appearance last year was a disappointment.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Really? I thought he was outstanding. I could have listened to him all night.
He doesn't speak up enough. Its like he was whispering through the whole night. Even if he had said the secret of life, I wouldn't have been able to tell. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not an Agassi hater.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Jimmy Arias- B+ (Indifferent to him)
Darren Cahil- B+ (Hasn't heard much of him but he was pretty annoying at Wimbledon last year)
Mary Carillo- B- (She used to be okay, she went through a Williams sister hating/Sharapova loving patch, now she's alright...ps. she sounds like a man)
Cliff Drysdale- B- (He's good with the technical stuff, but he seems like a dumbass)
Dick Enberg- C (Not very good, or professional. All he can say is "oh my" and he just is up in the booth to watch some tennis)
Mary Joe Fernandez- B (She's okay, but she certainly picks on certain players, though she never accomplished as much...Favors certain players, *cough, Maria S)
John McEnroe- A (Very professional, though he had a temper tandrum on the court, he is pretty reserved but still animated in commentary)
Patrick McEroe- B (He knows tennis pretty well but could he be any more of a Roddick lover. He must give the guy blowjobs everytime he critiques a match of his)
Ted Robinson- D (HORRIBLE, he is an idiot. Why is he even there?)
Pam Shriver- B+ (I've always liked Pam for some reason, but at times it's unbearable)

**Katrina Adams= F (horrible horrible horrible)
**Tim Ryan= B (He doesn't know much, but he wasn't a pain)
**Chris Fowler = C (he should STICK TO FOOTBALL)
:haha:

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
He doesn't speak up enough. Its like he was whispering through the whole night. Even if he had said the secret of life, I wouldn't have been able to tell. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not an Agassi hater.
You are correct, of course. He speaks too quietly. Always has, come to think of it. I guess I'm just used to it. I really enjoyed what he had to say. The man has a VERY analytical mind and he knows tennis as well as anyone I've ever heard.

It's all good though.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You are correct, of course. He speaks too quietly. Always has, come to think of it. I guess I'm just used to it. I really enjoyed what he had to say. The man has a VERY analytical mind and he knows tennis as well as anyone I've ever heard.

It's all good though.
I think it all started with that unfortunate "Zen master" comment by Barbra Streisand. Boy, that seems about 100 years ago, doesn't it. I hope Steffi drags out that clip for their 25th wedding anniversary and embarrasses the shit out of Andre.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts