Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Gov. Cuomo of New York declared today he has told all major sports to begin plans to resume playing, without fans of course

This is great news not only for basketball and the like, but for tennis of course because NYC is where the USO is held

I am of the opinion that the ATP should do their best to still hold a USO this year, and in New York. We still are several months out and I think we can salvage a summer US HC season with USO as well as a fall clay and RG so long as and as soon as travel restrictions are lifted

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
While I'm not as optimistic as you, I don't think that we're at the point yet that we need to throw in the towel at the USO. With the potential for massive advances in scaling testing, a USO in New York without fans is still a possibility for the fall.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
It depends on if there is a second wave of infections. I'm in favour of sports without fans for now. And if the rate of infection remains low, then start adding fans. Things are looking more hopeful.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Had USO been the next GS on the docket, it would have been doubtful esp. in NY where there would b some backlash but good to know certain leaders r taking bolder moves to get things back to as normal as possible & wise decision as there’s ample time until tourn. while at least 3 other optional legit. venues in US where the HC major could b comfortably conducted.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
i dont know, i want to believe it'll happen but i will believe that it'll happen when it does. if you can get tennis back and can get the US open in then great. as for the french just forget it. no one really cares much about that one anymore anyway

·
Registered
710 Posts
I still don't see how players and their teams around the world will travel to the event and participate. Include the quarantine time and that for qualifiers.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I still don't see how players and their teams around the world will travel to the event and participate. Include the quarantine time and that for qualifiers.
By Sept quarantine will likely no longer be required for anyone entering the US. Vaccinations are supposed to start in July.
And even if it were, all the traveling staff would have plenty of time to arrange for everything.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got mixed feelings. Andrew Cuomo has utterly failed the state of NY. I am not sure he can get his act together by late August. However, the world needs sports right now, especially a global sport like tennis.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got mixed feelings. Andrew Cuomo has utterly failed the state of NY. I am not sure he can get his act together by late August. However, the world needs sports right now, especially a global sport like tennis.
Utterly failed? What are you talking about? He's been the best Governor this entire time

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If all involved (state & tennis officials) approach precautions wisely, there’s still plenty of downtime to prepare to hold USO & if not in NY, 3 viable alternatives in IW/CA, FL or Cincy.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Utterly failed? What are you talking about? He's been the best Governor this entire time
"Utterly failed" is a bit strong, but he (along with Di Blasio) was downplaying the thread, boasting about New York's healthcare system and readiness for the pandemic, as late as early March. New York was well behind states like Washington and California in its response.

People love to shit on Trump as if he is somehow solely responsible for the late response. While his response has been terrible, plenty of state and local officials (along with "respected" media outlets) were way behind the ball ... and nowhere is that more clear than New York city and state.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts