Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,783 Posts
KarstenBraasch#1 said:
As soon as they realised that Muller is putting up a better and more exciting show than Andy, they cheered him on wildly. :)
well it shows they love winners and hate losers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
We New Yorker's want to see good tennis. Last night Muller gave Roddick a clinic. I feel sorry for Andy, I'm not an Andy hatah, but Muller deserves the glory for what he did last night.

You can't judge the NY crowd by the people you see sitting courtside. Those are the corporate seats and many of these people couldn't tell you who Nadal or Federer are. The real fans are relegated to the upper reaches of the stadium. We come to see tennis in all it's glory and support the players who are playing well. It's why my fave stadium is the Grandstand. There isn't a bad seat in the place and you see everything up close and personal. I'm sure they got a really good look at Murray's gastric distress yesterday too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,234 Posts
amierin said:
We New Yorker's want to see good tennis. Last night Muller gave Roddick a clinic. I feel sorry for Andy, I'm not an Andy hatah, but Muller deserves the glory for what he did last night.

You can't judge the NY crowd by the people you see sitting courtside. Those are the corporate seats and many of these people couldn't tell you who Nadal or Federer are. The real fans are relegated to the upper reaches of the stadium. We come to see tennis in all it's glory and support the players who are playing well. It's why my fave stadium is the Grandstand. There isn't a bad seat in the place and you see everything up close and personal. I'm sure they got a really good look at Murray's gastric distress yesterday too.
:yeah: *applause for you*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
1 sun- They appreciated an underdog who played extremely well, who also comes accorss as a nice guy. Good for Him! Good for them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
amierin said:
You can't judge the NY crowd by the people you see sitting courtside. Those are the corporate seats and many of these people couldn't tell you who Nadal or Federer are. The real fans are relegated to the upper reaches of the stadium. We come to see tennis in all it's glory and support the players who are playing well.
AMEN

i have been going since i was a little kid, and have always preferred to see the close up action of the back courts to being in way up in the nosebleeds of Ashe (and the old armstrong back in the day).

On the back courts is where you find the real fans, and god forbid you have to go into ashe durring the 1st week, its pretty pathetic to look down at the courtside section, the suites, and the loge section, and see the corporate types and their clients and trophy wifes who only watch tennis for 2 weeks a year (or maybe only 1 day or night) when the real fans are all up top squinting to see the match.

You cant even buy season tickets for any section besides the upper deck, and even then you will have a corner view (unless you have had them for years and years)

POWER TO THE PEOPLE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
yeh, it was good to see teh american supporters not just supporting other americans, i would hope that they do like great ennis, and muller showed great tennis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,865 Posts
What about the crowd during the Guga VS Goldstein match:worship: AWWWWESOME:banana:!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,490 Posts
I saw that as well and it changed a little bit my perception of American crowd rooting only for Americans... I'm not sure we would see that hapening in Roland Garros I confess... ;)
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
They wouldn't do that against Agassi, anyway a good crowd should show appreciation for a player who played a quality match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
Billabong said:
What about the crowd during the Guga VS Goldstein match:worship: AWWWWESOME:banana:!!!!
Pls, Guga had a huge crowd on Sunday just watching his practice match!! that boy is loved no matter where he goes ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
I am with you guys. The real tennis fans are in the Upper Deck at Ashe. I know, I'm
up there. 90 per cent of the time you will find me at the Outer Courts or the grandstand. Ashe is too big and they save all the great seats for corporations. I would rather see the players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,789 Posts
I agree, it was quite surprising that they did that. I guess they do like a player who plays better tennis but I think Andy, for some reason, did not warm up to the crowd last night. It had nothing to do with his performance. If Andre had been playing Muller, the crowd may have been more partisan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
KarstenBraasch#1 said:
As soon as they realised that Muller is putting up a better and more exciting show than Andy, they cheered him on wildly. :)
Partially true. New Yorkers love a winner, but the Ashe crowd was kind of schizo last night. One minute, they were cheering Roddick to come back, the next (esp. in the 3rd set tiebreak), they were cheering for Muller to pull off the upset. They roared heartily for Muller once he'd won.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top