Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ATP bid farewell to Nicolas Almagro (ESP) at the age of 33, after deciding his injuries were too much but leaves with a content heart and a family to enjoy.

https://www.barcelonaopenbancsabadell.com/en/news/nicolas-almagro-receives-warmth-public-his-tribute-tournament

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/almagro-retirement-tribute-april-2019

I will miss his big shots, especially that BH rapier and his surreptitiously powerful serve. It's a shame his career was let down towards the end by major injuries. In 2014 he beat Nadal at the Barcelona Open.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Re: Goodbye Nicolas Almagro - tribute from Barcelona

He was one of those players who are gifted with good sense of technique but not the mental strength nor the sport IQ of an average professional athlete.

Guy did hit some impressive shots in his day, sadly for him he never did it when it really counted.

Goodbye Mugro, all the best.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Re: Goodbye Nicolas Almagro - tribute from Barcelona

One of my favorite players ever. He was a little loco, but was always fun to watch. Will never forget how once he got a bad net cord off his own shot, kneeled down over the ball, stared at it for a good 5-6 seconds, then picked it up and blasted it as hard as he could over the stadium with a savage scream lol. Another one of my favorite Almagro moments is when he hit pu$$y ass berdych with the ball when they were both close to the net. The Czech female dog didn't accept his apology, didn't shake his hand and complained for 5 minutes in an interview after the match. When reporters asked Almagro about the situation, he simply said "I tried to win the point." He will be missed.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I was always amazed by his serve and backhand. His serve was so powerful and yet it barely looked like he jumped into it! And that backhand was a truly wonderful shot to watch. He also had a great ROS on that backhand side too, which is usually a weakness for a OHBH player. Definitely a player that could have achieved more, but he a had a great career regardless. ?

·
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That fistpump all the way to the net...

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Almagro was the third best player for Spain, after Rafa and Ferrer, for 4 to 5 years (2010-14), ahead of the players like Feliciano Lopez, Verdasco, Robredo, etc.

Personally, his most memorable match to me.

YUQfE6fCx7A

Wish Almagro well in all his future endeavors.

·
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Almagro was the third best player for Spain, after Rafa and Ferrer, for 4 to 5 years (2010-14), ahead of the players like Feliciano Lopez, Verdasco, Robredo, etc.

Personally, his most memorable match to me.

YUQfE6fCx7A

Wish Almagro well in all his future endeavors.
A shame he didn't win that one, was so close many times, but he got a win over Ferrer finally in 2017.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Never had the mentality to support his big game. And still thousands would kill for a career like his. Best of luck in the rest of your life, Nico.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Till AO2013 he had almost the same career as Wawrinka, maybe even slightly better. Even their games and body-types had many similarities. Thought they possessed almost identical potential. Both lost at AO13 in epic 5-setters. And it was the turning point for both. For Wawrinka it was the start on his way to become a legend, and for Almagro it was start of the end. The guy had tools to become Nadal's main opponent on clay for decade, but neither the mind nor the spirit to do it.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
His mano a mano brawl with Sexy in DC 2012 final was legendary. The GOAT was too strong in the end, but Almugro showed CYGS level-tennis in the match. Winning a set against Sexy in such kind of form made Mugro a definitive slam contender in 2013. Shame he choked the shit out of himself in the AO QF against Ferrer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts