Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
97,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay people, now leave goats, ducks and the rest of the zoo and read this. (Only I think the original poster once typed Spanish instead of Guatemalan, but it's funny anyway.)

After a week off to perfect his tennis-playing skills, Robert Dee (GBR) has turned up in qualifying here. If he loses tomorrow, he will equal Diego Beltranena's legendary 54-match losing streak (it's definitely 54 - we've counted!) and, so far, Dee has done it in style by always losing in straight sets whereas the Guatemalan once won a set.

However, the Spanish have made getting that 54th loss nice and challenging - he's been drawn against unranked 17-year-old Carlos Guerrero-Pancorbo (ESP), who has only played in seven events before and has been fed 5 bagels in 8 matches, winning a match only when one opponent retired in the 3rd set.

Robert got the closest he has ever got to winning a set in his last match, when he went down 7-4 in a tiebreak. With an opponent this weak, is there a chance of him losing his unblemished losing record?

·
Ace Loveforty
83,411 Posts
Re: Good luck Robert Dee

forget about the set and go for the record Robert, that's how you'll always be remembered in the world of tennis

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

Good luck to Dee. Hopefully he can lose once again to gain a place in the history books.
Surprisingly during his streak of 53 consecutive defeats, he has only been double bagelled twice. He has lost either 0 & 1 or 1 & 0 on 16 occasions.
Losing 106 consecutive sets is just legendary stuff.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts

You have to admire the perseverance as much as anything else.

The ardent belief, after more than 50 straight defeats, there's still a point to going on court and trying.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

Hopefully that tiebreak set against Borges will prove to be a minor blip, and normal service will be resumed for Robert against Guerrero-Pancorbo today.
If I was in his shoes, I would want to break the record and gain as much attention and recognition as possible.

·
Tênis Mambembe
36,773 Posts

it's interesting Dee could have a better record :confused: if any of his opponents have retired during the matches, what didn't happen.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts

Care to elaborate? :devil:

Is he your run of the mill club player, or is he actually quite good (but out of his depth at professional level)?
he's been at bolletieri's for the past few years. i havent seen him since he went, but he undoubtedly be a much better player now. its not like he was one of the top juniors in the country, but he's a lot better than a regular club player. unfortunately though, he is some way out of his depth at pro level

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

According to the ATP website, the Bye has a 1-4108 career win-loss record. For years the biggest tennis-related conundrum has been who the Bye accounted for during its sole victory. I think we now know the answer.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

Great stuff from Dee :worship:. Hopefully he'll feature in the qualifying draw of the Spain F11 event in one week's time, and will soon have the consecutive defeats record all to himself.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,411 Posts

clear tank, welcome to history Mr. Dee

·
Registered
11,122 Posts

he's been at bolletieri's for the past few years. i havent seen him since he went, but he undoubtedly be a much better player now. its not like he was one of the top juniors in the country, but he's a lot better than a regular club player. unfortunately though, he is some way out of his depth at pro level
I suspect if he was better than a good club player he would have won a set somewhere in the many futures qualifying draws that he took part in -- it's not that these tournaments are full of professionals, there are average club level players in these draws.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

Time to make a worthy 55th, Bob.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts

I suspect if he was better than a good club player he would have won a set somewhere in the many futures qualifying draws that he took part in -- it's not that these tournaments are full of professionals, there are average club level players in these draws.
i somehow doubt that bollitieri's would accept an average club level player

·
Registered
7,354 Posts

money makes the world go round, like sang Liza Minelli ;)
admitedly he's not there based purely on talent, but when he went he was better than a average club player and given that he's been there for like 2/3 years he should certainly have improved somewhat in that time

1 - 20 of 189 Posts