Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am posting here to avoid the general message Grigor trollls. Thought although it is always touched upon, how big is Grigor's marketing potential? Also think this could be a thread to discuss his off court sponsorship and growing fame (the tennis is obviously far more interesting but the other stuff is also interesting too).

Firstly, he is obviously very objectively attractive, dating the most famous (probably) female tennis player, good with the media and playing showreel shots. There is a massive battle currently going on between adidas and nike for his signature now that his game is catching up to his potential.

Lets be honest he will probably never reach GOAT fed ranks but he could be very very good and maybe win slams (see below). Anyway, for tennis fans he is a staple name but only a handful of casual fans will know him and very few non tennis fans. So how big can he be for the game, as he is from eastern europe there is arguably slightly less marketing potential (see djokovic). Sharapova has reacher SUPER stardom and fame and is the most marketable WTA player while not winning Federer number of slams or anywhere near Serena dominance so regardless of results on top of future slams its clearly possible to be incredibly marketable without goat status.

I may be biased but I think he could honestly be up there with nadal and federer marketability wise with far less success as the general public dont really follow results exactly. The fact that Nike included him in that add with sharapova, nadal when he has achieved relatively so little.

Discuss haha

NOTE: yes, getting ahead of ourselves with this discussion as he has A LOT to prove on the court but still interesting to discusss none the less. Not a thread to discuss the obvious importance of his improving game/mentality/fullfilling baby fed potential

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I am posting here to avoid the general message Grigor trollls. Thought although it is always touched upon, how big is Grigor's marketing potential?
Huge.

He's already the neutral's favourite at most tournaments. All he needs to do is win more matches and more tournaments and the sky is the limit in terms of how much merchandise he will be able to shift for companies such as Nike, Rolex, etc.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I've never seen an up & coming player getting his name chanted in tournaments around the world like Grigor does. It's incredible to see and makes you realise how huge he could be if he starts winning slams. It's not just that he's good looking and has a stylish game, he's also very charismatic which is often missing in tennis players, as well as other sportsmen today. He needs that big win for people to really invest in him but once that happens, he will be a huge star.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Grigor's charisma is incredible, he was way popular ahead of his success and market wise he could reach Sharapova's like status in years to come. winning a slam is a must, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe his relationship with Maria increased his visibility with the general public and fortunately it coincided with his improved tennis achievements and these are the reasons we're having this conversation right now. And it doesn't hurt that he is good-looking, has considerable sex appeal, and has affable personality and effortless charm.

Out of all the up-and-coming players, I think Grigor is the one with the most marketability potential. Wasn't it reported that Nike and Adidas had a bidding war over him? I believe his inclusion to the newest ad is a message to Grigor's team they are keen in keeping Grigor in its roster of sponsored players.

And he also has several Bulgarian endorsements under his belt already. Until he wins a slam, he could be like Kei that got hordes of local endorsements and it'll earn him some serious moolah. But oh, if Grigor could manage to win a slam, the possibilities are endless. (I don't think he'll have the same difficulties as Novak. Noble doesn't have the charisma and sex appeal of Grigor so maybe that's the reason he wasn't able to secure a major endorsement.)

·
Registered
908 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts