Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fan's thrown plastic bottle hits Gonzalez in head

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Chile's Fernando Gonzalez was hit in the head by a plastic bottle of mineral water thrown by a fan following a victory in a Davis Cup doubles match against Venezuela on Sunday.

Gonzalez, 14th in the world in the ATP Tour rankings, said he felt faint after being hit but went on to defeat Venezuela's Jose Antonio de Armas in a singles match later Sunday.

"Fortunately it was just a big fright. I felt dizzy at the start but nothing more,'' Gonzalez said. "It's sad that because of a couple of people such a nice crowd's image is tarnished."

Police detained a man in connection with Gonzalez being hit.

Gonzalez angered the Venezuelan fans by calling for silence after he and Hermes Gamonal defeated de Armas and Kepler Orellana 7-5, 6-4, 6-4 in a Davis Cup America Zone Group 1 qualifying match.

The crowd had been protesting some controversial line decisions by the umpire.

"I'm very ashamed for what happened, but I'm happy for the great sporting spirit that prevailed in the end," Venezuela team captain Alfonso Mora said.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Didn't Gonzalez get injured earlier this year when somebody (a fan or another player, I forget) threw a tennis ball at him to catch but he got hit in the eye instead? Poor Gonzo's always getting beat up.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I take it Gonzo has never followed a game between River Plate and Boca Juniors in a certain, ahem, neighboring country!! Gonzo, please be prepared next time you are in South America, "wankers" in the crowd are quite common

Ah, :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: He's so dreamy though. Seriously, I am glad he's okay and so charming and mellow about everything.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mrs_Guga said:
Ah, :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: He's so dreamy though. Seriously, I am glad he's okay and so charming and mellow about everything.
Yeah, or else we'd have to start calling him Denthead. Oh, wait, that's already been taken :D

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Mrs_Guga said:
I take it Gonzo has never followed a game between River Plate and Boca Juniors in a certain, ahem, neighboring country!! Gonzo, please be prepared next time you are in South America, "wankers" in the crowd are quite common

I have an inkling that Gonzo knows all about South America and their crowds already...just a hunch ;)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Gonzo is South-American when last i checked...:eek:

what i want to know is, where was Johnny Mac when this incident occurred? :p

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Rebecca said:
I have an inkling that Gonzo knows all about South America and their crowds already...just a hunch ;)
LOL, just for clarification, I know he's Chilean (his name is Fernando Gonzalez, you think I thought he was British or something?! LOL), and that's why I said, "I take it Gonzo has never followed a game between River Plate and Boca Juniors in a certain, ahem, neighboring country!!", which would be in the country that borders his, Argentina. River and Boca are soccer/footie teams. Anyway, you never get anything I have to say, lol. I guess my jokes are just that bad

And in case you didn't go back into the Roddick forum (??? why do you go there, I am still perplexed!), I mentioned Ferrero because that is Naldo's avatar. Trust me, we don't randomly talk about JC in there without reason. LOL

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Yeah, or else we'd have to start calling him Denthead. Oh, wait, that's already been taken :D
:D :D I take it that's for Taylor Dent?! LOL! I don't know all the lingo around here, I'm not down with the namecalling, so this is an assumption.

:D :D And Gonzo is definitely not a Denthead like scary Taylor!! I can't wait to stalk him! 2 weeks!!

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Mrs_Guga said:
LOL, just for clarification, I know he's Chilean (his name is Fernando Gonzalez, you think I thought he was British or something?! LOL), and that's why I said, "I take it Gonzo has never followed a game between River Plate and Boca Juniors in a certain, ahem, neighboring country!!", which would be in the country that borders his, Argentina. River and Boca are soccer/footie teams. Anyway, you never get anything I have to say, lol. I guess my jokes are just that bad

And in case you didn't go back into the Roddick forum (??? why do you go there, I am still perplexed!), I mentioned Ferrero because that is Naldo's avatar. Trust me, we don't randomly talk about JC in there without reason. LOL
I go in there because I used to chat to somebody in there in a thread that I had, and I was wondering what happened to her. That, and I go where I please.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts