what happened?

·
Registered
15,414 Posts
Well done Fernando!!! :bigclap:

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Eco played well in first two sets, but sucked in 3rd!

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Good job Feña :bigclap:

·
Registered
202 Posts
http://news.smh.com.au/pepper-spray-used-to-control-tennis-fans/20080115-1m63.html
Pepper spray used to control tennis fans

Crowd trouble marred the Australian Open again - exactly one year after Croatian and Serbian fans kicked each other and used flag poles as weapons outside Melbourne Park in an ugly start to the 2007 tournament.

Police needed pepper spray to control rowdy fans watching the match between Chile's 2007 Open runner-up Fernando Gonzales and Greek player Konstantinos Economidis in Margaret Court Arena.

About two dozen Greek, Cypriot and Serbian fans were involved, according to an AFP photographer at the scene, with early reports of police ejecting four spectators.

The match had to be stopped for more than five minutes and Economidis said he was saddened by the incident.

"It was strange. It's never happened to me before," Economidis said after losing 6-4 7-6 (7-2) 6-1.

"I don't know exactly what caused it or what happened out there. I was focused on my match and I am really sad that this has taken place on a tennis court.

"It's really something that nobody wants. It was a great atmosphere except for this certain point of the match that this incident happened.

"It was full of people who were cheering and looked like they were enjoying the tennis and it was a really nice atmosphere.

"I am really unhappy about what happened."

Australian Open director Craig Tiley last week announced a crackdown on violence and sexual offences in the wake of about 150 fans being ejected from the venue on the opening day of last year's tournament.

On that occasion, Serbian and Croatian fans, wearing the national colours of the bitter Balkan rivals, clashed using flagpoles, bottles and boots, prompting Tiley to impose a "zero-tolerance" policy on anti-social behaviour at the this year's Open.

"At any time, any behaviour that's going to harm the fan-friendly environment, then we're going to have zero tolerance for it," Tiley said.

"We're confident that the procedures that the Victoria Police put in place are going to deal with any of the issues that come up.

"We're also confident that we'll send a very clear message on any type of behaviour that crosses the line, impacting on a fan-friendly environment, will be dealt with."

Victoria Police last week also vowed to do their bit to ensure a repeat of last year's trouble was avoided.

Region One Superintendent John Cooke promised significant police presence, including more CCTV cameras, but it was not enough to prevent drama.

Gonzalez said he had never seen police use pepper spray before at a tennis tournament.

"No, that's the first time," he said.

But the Chilean said, while the crowd was noisy and one Greek fan was abusive to him in Spanish, he was not overly insulted by anything said.

"They say a few things, but it's part of the crowd," Gonzalez said.

"Only one (offensive) thing (was said) in Spanish, but it's nothing that bad. I mean, they're fans ... it was very noisy, but also was the Chileans.

"It was really fun for them. It was a lot of Chileans and a lot of Greeks too.

"But, for me, it's fun to play like that. It's like a Davis Cup match. I think the people enjoy it."

© 2008 AAP

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Whew! Every match is like a countdown for Feña, defending the points from last year. Imagine if he went all the way again? :hearts:

·
Same as it ever was
20,587 Posts
Totally bizarre 10 minutes that was

I was in the next corner down from the problem so not right next to it, but you could see the pepper spray go off which just got the crowd even rowdier. I didn't think it was ever going to calm down.

Players were right though, it was a great atmosphere in there until that happened. But that was an extra piece of entertainment :tape: (not the kind that is needed though).

Great win by Gonzo though :yeah: Showing some of the great forehands that got him through last year. I hope he can keep it up :yeah:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I SAW ALL THE MATCH GENCI.OF CHANNELSURFING ECO COULD TO WIN HIM.BUT GONZO DID PERFECT STRONGS WINNER WITH FOREHAND AND MANY WINNERS.ECO PLAYED EXCHELLENT BUT THE RESULT DISSAPOINT ME:sad:

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Nice start Fernando :yippee: Keep it up!!! :yeah:

·
Registered
490 Posts
magnificant shots from Gonzo in tie break.

That was first time I saw Economidis and I really liked him - great aggressive tennis.

But Fena was too good :yeah:

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I'm glad Fena wasn't out in R1! :rocker2:
Keep playing well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts