Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The last I remember is Federer-Lacko, Wimbledon 2018 R2. Federer won 35 consecutive points on serve from 5-3 40-30 in set 1 to 5-1 30:0 in set 3. That includes a golden serve set in set 2.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
In the 2007 US Open R16 match vs. Feli Lopez, starting from serving at 0-40 in the 1st game of the 3rd set, Federer didn't drop a point on serve the rest of that 6-1 set, and continued into the 4th set not dropping a single point on serve until serving for the match at 5-4 30-0 in the 4th set, and then won the last two points to win the match.

So perhaps one can call that 3rd set a virtual golden serve set... :) And he lost only 1 point in the final game of the 4th set. for a total of 35 consecutive points won on serve. Brilliant.

In the 2009 French Open R16 match vs. Tommy Haas at Roland Garros, Federer won his first 6 service games at love, but surprisingly lost the 1st set in a tiebreaker.
He continued his service game love holds with one more to open the second set, then finally lost a point at 40-0 in his 2nd service game of the second set.
So he won 7 consecutive service games at love, + 3 points in the eighth service game for 31 consecutive service game points.

As mentioned by Martin12, at 2018 Wimbledon, Federer matched his own 35 consecutive service game point streak against Lacko.

Sorry, I could not find a complete match of Wimbledon 2nd round - Federer vs Lacko.
here are some "highlights"

Federer consecutive service game points:
USO hard - 35
FO clay - 31
WC grass - 35

:worship:

Not sure anyone has exceeded or is going to exceed this record.

Most Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
More fun stat is losing a set only losing 1 point on serve. Has that ever happened?

·
Registered
337 Posts
More fun stat is losing a set only losing 1 point on serve. Has that ever happened?
YES!

This actually happened to Karlovic a few years ago at an ATP event I believe. Sadly can't remember the opponent, but he played perfect service games without dropping a point, then lost the tiebreak 7-4 cuz of 1 point, and that point may have also been a DF but I can't remmeber 100% now. Crazy!

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Yes, just to clarify, we should put these into the proper context.

Tiebreaker games do not count in Service Game stats. They are their own entity.

So at the 2009 French Open vs. Haas, Federer did indeed win 7 consecutive Service Games at love, 6 in the first set, and the 1st in the second set, and 31 consecutive Service Game points. Despite that, he lost the first set in the tiebreaker game by dropping 2 points when he was serving.

A Golden Set is defined as a set won without losing any points, meaning one wins the set 6-0 in 24 points, as Bill Scanlon did at the 1983 DelRay Beach WCT event, and as Yaroslava Shvedova did at 2012 Wimbledon (ITF) beating Sara Errani. This achievement was never accomplished in an ATP or WTA event.

There doesn't appear to be any formal definition of a Golden Service Set.
One reasonable definition would be: A set won by not losing any points on their serve during a set, either during one's service games, or during a possible tiebreaker.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Funny how Federer won 30+ straight points on serve (insane!) at '07 USO and '09 FO, and both matches were incredibly, incredibly close...

Haas obviously had BP to serve for the match, and Lopez was 2 points from serving for a 2-0 set lead IIRC.

Some of the closest matches he's ever had in winning slam runs through 4 rounds.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I do know Fed had a golden service game getting like 4 aces in a row, I can only guess Karlovic and Isner have been the only ones to do something like that since or maybe even Kyrgios I think.

·
Registered
472 Posts
YES!

This actually happened to Karlovic a few years ago at an ATP event I believe. Sadly can't remember the opponent, but he played perfect service games without dropping a point, then lost the tiebreak 7-4 cuz of 1 point, and that point may have also been a DF but I can't remmeber 100% now. Crazy!
I remember it well because I had a bet on that match. It was Karlovic vs Daniel Brands in Zagreb. Karlovic won every single point on serve in his 6 games, then only dropped one service point in the TB and lost the set 7-6(4).

From my knowledge, it's the only time a player has ever lost a set losing just one point on serve.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I remember it well because I had a bet on that match. It was Karlovic vs Daniel Brands in Zagreb. Karlovic won every single point on serve in his 6 games, then only dropped one service point in the TB and lost the set 7-6(4).

From my knowledge, it's the only time a player has ever lost a set losing just one point on serve.
Ah yes, there you go! That's def the match I was talking about...must have been the only time something like this happened in either ATP or WTA, unless Isner or Opelka had something similar which I doubt

·
Registered
378 Posts
The new feature at Ultimate Tennis Statistics, Top Match Stats (https://www.ultimatetennisstatistics.com/topMatchStats), can help in this and similar questions.
You can select Statistics Category 'Service Points Won %' and get on top matches with no points lost on serve.
In Advanced Filter, you can remove matches that finished in retirement (Choosing 'Finished' matches).
The only match that had been won w/o losing a point on serve is Michael Berrer beating Abdulla Hajji at Doha 2008: https://www.ultimatetennisstatistics.com/playerProfile?playerId=3582&tab=matches&opponent=OPP_8977&tournamentEventId=3311&round=R32
Berrer won all 20 points on the first serve and all 8 points on the second serve in his 6-1 6-1 win over Hajji.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
According to the ATP website, Abdulla Hajji of Qatar apparently played 3 ATP tour level matches in his life, all at Doha thanks to wild cards.

Hajji won 0 of 28 points on #57 Berrer's serve in the 2008 match, losing 1-6 1-6.
Hajji won 3 (inc. 1 DF) of 31 points on #72 Devilder's serve in the 2009 match, losing 0-6, 3-6.
Hajji won 6 (inc. 2 DF) of 31 points on #57 O.Rochus's serve in the 2010 match, losing 1-6, 0-6.

Now why shouldn't @Johnny Groove get a wild card in the Delray Beach Open? :|

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
According to the ATP website, Abdulla Hajji of Qatar apparently played 3 ATP tour level matches in his life, all at Doha thanks to wild cards.

Hajji won 0 of 28 points on #57 Berrer's serve in the 2008 match, losing 1-6 1-6.
Hajji won 3 (inc. 1 DF) of 31 points on #72 Devilder's serve in the 2009 match, losing 0-6, 3-6.
Hajji won 6 (inc. 2 DF) of 31 points on #57 O.Rochus's serve in the 2010 match, losing 1-6, 0-6.

Now why shouldn't @Johnny Groove get a wild card in the Delray Beach Open? :|

Respectfully,
masterclass
amazing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts