Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 842 Posts

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
i guess i will post this here. finally, signs of life from david. been over a month since he posted anything. but he posted a 5 part video of his 2019 pre-season training.great to see him smiling again too. makes me realize even more how much i missed him. also looks like he maybe started his pre-season training early so..not sure why they thought they'd have to wait. maybe it's just me but his arms are looking a bit bigger too. looking fit and strong

fingers crossed for good things in 2019

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq19v8OHiJB/

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess i will post this here. finally, signs of life from david. been over a month since he posted anything. but he posted a 5 part video of his 2019 pre-season training.great to see him smiling again too. makes me realize even more how much i missed him. also looks like he maybe started his pre-season training early so..not sure why they thought they'd have to wait. maybe it's just me but his arms are looking a bit bigger too. looking fit and strong

fingers crossed for good things in 2019

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq19v8OHiJB/
That sounds and looks great :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Came here to post it but you beat me to it :)

I'm just waiting to see when he finally picks up the racquet...but he looks good! :D

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Came here to post it but you beat me to it :)

I'm just waiting to see when he finally picks up the racquet...but he looks good! :D
yeah, me too. saw him practicing swings without the racquet though. thought he was supposed to have done that a couple weeks ago. guess thats the only thing to kind of wonder about.

i hope everything is going well with you now. how's the injury?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
yeah, me too. saw him practicing swings without the racquet though. thought he was supposed to have done that a couple weeks ago. guess thats the only thing to kind of wonder about.

i hope everything is going well with you now. how's the injury?
Yes @ZellKFF how are you?
Nah he was supposed to stay off-racquet for a long time so he could fully recover - this is nothing to worry about. Just means he will be a bit rusty in Doha and maybe AO, so we'll have to cut him some slack for the first few matches :grin2: Depending on his draw, I'd be very happy with R4 in AO, and a QF would be amazing...but being in the #24-32 seed group might make it tough. His goal for this year should be to peak for clay masters and FO imo, this is when he should be fully back in form and hopefully will do something big!

And thank you both for worrying about me, I have a double back hernia which was treated with 2 cortisone injections in my spine, which was painful but kinda worked (still slowly recovering and going through physiotherapy)...but on top of that I took so much other medicine that it messed up my stomach and got an ulcer :frown2: so now I'm taking medication for that too...also protip: don't bother going for a gastroscopy without anaesthesia, worst feeling ever ugh :crying:

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And thank you both for worrying about me, I have a double back hernia which was treated with 2 cortisone injections in my spine, which was painful but kinda worked (still slowly recovering and going through physiotherapy)...but on top of that I took so much other medicine that it messed up my stomach and got an ulcer :frown2: so now I'm taking medication for that too...also protip: don't bother going for a gastroscopy without anaesthesia, worst feeling ever ugh :crying:
I'm really sorry you are having so many health problems :sad: Ulcers I've heard about, but I don't think I have ever heard of a double back hernia :eek:
As I always say about the tennis players I like when they are injured don't try to rush your recovery!

Undoubtedly David will be rusty so we will all be kind to him :) That's what I like best about the players' forums they are places where you can be kind!

·
Registered
8,893 Posts

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Nah he was supposed to stay off-racquet for a long time so he could fully recover - this is nothing to worry about. Just means he will be a bit rusty in Doha and maybe AO, so we'll have to cut him some slack for the first few matches :grin2: Depending on his draw, I'd be very happy with R4 in AO, and a QF would be amazing...but being in the #24-32 seed group might make it tough. His goal for this year should be to peak for clay masters and FO imo, this is when he should be fully back in form and hopefully will do something big!

oh wow. i've never had a hernia but heard how painful they can be. i hope everything works out and you're healthy again soon.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
david is with thiem at his training camp now
Good! He needs to learn to grind and sweat like Thiem. (albeit, not literally, because 2 people sweating the same amount as Domi on court would likely cause a flood >:))

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Good! He needs to learn to grind and sweat like Thiem. (albeit, not literally, because 2 people sweating the same amount as Domi on court would likely cause a flood >:))
well, with all the fitness and endurance training he's done i really wouldn't expect his endurance to be a problem anymore. at least i hope not. i also read that he's worked on his serve and forehand.

i hope it's paid off. this may be one of his last years he has to win something big

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, with all the fitness and endurance training he's done i really wouldn't expect his endurance to be a problem anymore. at least i hope not. i also read that he's worked on his serve and forehand.

i hope it's paid off. this may be one of his last years he has to win something big
I would certainly like for him to win something big this year :)

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
David has a fantastic draw to the final in Doha. Dream draw really. Even not at his best he should fo well. I'm really happy with it.

R1 - qualifier

R2 - lajovic or mannarino

QF - qualifier, ilkel, cecchinato or pells

SF - seeds are Verdasco or them. He can beat either one. Underdog against Verdasco since hes underpowered but should beat thiem on hard.

Stan, Novak and Karen and Bautista-agut all on the other half of the draw

So maybe I'm being optimistic but I think this is an amazing draw for his first event back

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
So berankis it is. H2h is 2-2 with david winning the last 2. But those 2 wins were in 3 and 5 tight sets. I still think he should win.

Also playing doubles with Hughes herbert

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Goffin will play his first match in over three months tomorrow! I can't watch it at that time so hopefully there will be highlights on Youtube after.

It's only a doubles match so I don't have to be nervous at all. Hope he can shake off that rust soon.

As for singles, I'd be happy with a SF. A final would be great. I can't see him winning the title right now with his lack of match play recently and Djokovic likely waiting in the final.

I'm just happy he's back. Here's to hopefully a healthy and successful 2019.

1 - 20 of 842 Posts