Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rogi gagne Marseille. Felicitations!! What a wonderful day everyone!!!!

Top Seed Federer Captures Open 13
Calls winning in Marseille 'a dream' after defeating Bjorkman in straight sets.

Top seeded Roger Federer became the first No. 1 seed at the Open 13 since Boris Becker eight years ago to capture the Marseille title and the € 69,200 prize that goes with it. Dropping only one set the whole week, Federer earned his second ATP title in five months after capturing the CA Tennis Trophy in Vienna last October.

Federer jumped on Jonas Bjorkman early with a break to start the match and was out to a one set lead before Bjorkman righted himself with his attacking groundstroke game. Bjorkman fought back with a spirited challenge in the second and took a 3-0 lead before Federer pushed the second set to a tiebreak.

Down 5-1 in the tiebreak, Bjorkman won five of the next six points for 6-all. Federer then finished off the 30-year-old Swede with two strong points to win his fifth career ATP title and third indoor title. Federer now moves to 5-6 in his career in finals and 12-3 on the year, while Bjorkman drops to 5-4 in finals and 7-2 for this year.

For Federer, it was a "dream" to win the tournament in Marseille where he reached his first ATP final in 2000 and where countryman Marc Rosset has been a three-time champion. Federer and Rosset spoke on the phone soon after the match ended. Bjorkman, meanwhile, played the kind of tennis that took him to No. 4 in the world six years ago, saying that he believes again that he can again challenge the world's elite in singles, as well as doubles, in which he has been one of the world's best.

In the doubles final, local favorites Sebastien Grosjean and Fabrice Santoro salvaged a tough tournament for the French that saw several of the French stars lose early and Nicolas Escude withdraw from the semifinals with a strained right hamstring. They defeated the Czech team of Pavel Vizner and Tomas Cibulec 6-1, 6-4.

For Santoro it was his second tournament victory in 2003 after his Australian Open doubles title with partner Michael Llodra. He now has won 11 consecutive doubles matches, prompting some French journalists to ask doubles standout Bjorkman if Santoro was the best doubles player in the world.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID Roger Federer: "It's a dream to win this tournament for me. Everything really started for me here and Toulouse. It's the first place I reached a final and Marc [Rosset] beat me. I had a wildcard last year, but was injured and couldn't play Now I've won the title here."

"I was really confident today, it was really important at the start of the match. I started well, and I thought the second set was really great for the public."

"This was a good start to the season and I like this surface a lot - I've had some great results on it. I plan to come back next year."

Jonas Bjorkman:"I wanted to get off to a good start in the match, and I just didn't do that. I felt really good coming in, it was a good match-up for me, I just made too many mistakes."

"Of course you always want to win, but I think I took something positive from this today and from the tournament. I'm feeling really good about my game and I think it's a really good sign for the kind of tennis I can play for the rest of the year."

"Now I'm off to Rotterdam and Dubai. Woodbridge will be there so hopefully I can win a doubles match [won a match by walkover this week], but I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season and my family will be traveling with me to the U.S."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts