Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
The special one
14,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LTA were wanting it at the Manchester arena as it had a 20,000 capacity but Florence and the machine(always hated that band)have a gig there and refuse to change dates, so we now have the tie at the emirates arena in Glasgow, hopefully the crowd in Glasgow will cheer us on to victory the atmosphere there has always been great and Murray is going to be super pumped, lets have it GB

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Glasgow :facepalm: wanted it to be in Birmingham so I could go. Not feeling Glasgow, although I guess it's home advantage literally with the tie been in Jockland. GB :p

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
The Captain and the two best players wanted it in Glasgow. I find it utterly bizarre that the LTA were determined to go against them and push for Manchester.

Anyway, the right venue has been picked and it's just a pity the Hydro Arena was not able to host it.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
The Captain and the two best players wanted it in Glasgow. I find it utterly bizarre that the LTA were determined to go against them and push for Manchester.

Anyway, the right venue has been picked and it's just a pity the Hydro Arena was not able to host it.
The Davis Cup is all about the fans, they should be trying to gain exposure all the way through the UK, not just London and Glasgow.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Nonsense. When asked if they'd like it to be in Glasgow, they gave politicians' answers. I'm sure they'll be happy it's there, but they aren't arrogant enough to insist it is in a particular city.

I think it's a shame they couldn't hold it in Manchester (or Birmingham), because it would be good to share the event around the country. London gets loads of tennis, and Glasgow already had it this year, and Scotland has had a lot of attention. It would have been a fantastic opportunity for a city with no regular major tennis tournament to see top class tennis in a better and bigger venue.

Supposedly, the Hydro wasn't suitable, which is why they didn't push to get that made available.

They will apparently be able to increase the seating at the Emirates to 9000, but it could have been a lot more at the MEN.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
I think it's a shame they couldn't hold it in Manchester (or Birmingham), because it would be good to share the event around the country.
Leon Smith actually did want it in the N of England, for that reason. Manchester was first choice but they couldn't get the arena.

Ultimately, they were always going to struggle to find locations in September.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Nonsense. When asked if they'd like it to be in Glasgow, they gave politicians' answers. I'm sure they'll be happy it's there, but they aren't arrogant enough to insist it is in a particular city.

I think it's a shame they couldn't hold it in Manchester (or Birmingham), because it would be good to share the event around the country. London gets loads of tennis, and Glasgow already had it this year, and Scotland has had a lot of attention. It would have been a fantastic opportunity for a city with no regular major tennis tournament to see top class tennis in a better and bigger venue.

Supposedly, the Hydro wasn't suitable, which is why they didn't push to get that made available.

They will apparently be able to increase the seating at the Emirates to 9000, but it could have been a lot more at the MEN.
I've been to the Manchester Arena.

It's bigger, but old and tired. It doesn't compare to the modern venues in Glasgow.

You can have as much Davis Cup action as you want next year and beyond. I certainly believe Manchester has been neglected in recent times and should be the venue of choice moving forward.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Second worst city in the country.
Glasgow is a great city, but it suffers from the same kind of inflated sense of thinking it's the centre of the universe that afflicts many Londoners. It could be a great venue, but the presumption it's the only great venue is a vanity.

According to Mike Dickson, Glasgow isn't a done deal. It sounds as if they have Emirates on stand-by, but really wanted the MEN, and also have another couple of options they are working on.
https://twitter.com/Mike_Dickson_DM

Demand for tickets from UK fans will be much higher than for the tie against the USA, and we should expect a lot more Australians to make it, so it's right they prioritise trying to get a bigger venue.

IMO, another northern city would be ideal, so long as it's got good transport links. Somewhere like Sheffield might work. Birmingham has facilities, and is easy to get to, but Birmingham already gets quite a lot, and is close enough to London that its residents can get to other events.

Anyone know if there is a suitable venue in Cardiff?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've been to the Manchester Arena.

It's bigger, but old and tired. It doesn't compare to the modern venues in Glasgow.

You can have as much Davis Cup action as you want next year and beyond. I certainly believe Manchester has been neglected in recent times and should be the venue of choice moving forward.
Glasgow would be easier for me to get to, but I am not thinking about me, I'm thinking about what's good for the tie, and what's good for tennis fans, and for British tennis. MEN might be old, but it would have been a good choice. Irrelevant now, as Florence won't budge her machine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts