Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gilles Simon : "On different surfaces Federer would have won only half of his titles"

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Gilles-Simon-With-Different-Surfaces-Roger-Federer-Would-Have-Won-Only-Half-of-His-Titles-articolo19327.html.1

"Roger Federer has always been against similar surfaces" revealed Simon, "because he thinks he can adapt better to different situations compared to Djokovic, Nadal or Murray. My opinion is that if very different surfaces were to exist, with very slow red clay courts and very fast indoor courts, Roger would have won only half of his titles. Obviously, if Federer plays against Nadal on grass, two days after playing on hard courts, he is sure to win. But to switch from a very slow clay court to a fast grass court wouldn't be easy even for him. Roger could possibly be eliminated in the first rounds of tournaments by players like Milos Raonic, who is a great server."

"The slowdown of surfaces has been a 'political' decision. One player in particular insisted to have surfaces with similar speed, decreasing the differences. I just don't want to tell his name. All I want to say is that some players are more influential than others"

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Re: Gilles Simon : "On different surfaces Federer would have won only half of his tit

So what's he saying? Switch from slow clay to fast grass would take away a couple of Federer's Halle titles? Possibly. Not Wimbledon, though. You don't get two days preparation for that, you get two weeks. That's enough.

·
6,246 Posts
Re: Gilles Simon : "On different surfaces Federer would have won only half of his tit

You could say that about Nadal too - that he has benefited from the homogenizing of the surfaces, ie the slowing down of courts in general, and even the tennis balls.
I saw somewhere comparing the Wimbledon surface of 2003 with that of 2008, it was astounding.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts

:facepalm:

Roger adapts to new surfaces easily because his game is effective on every surface. His game isn't one-dimensional and surface-reliant. While Federer is obviously worse on very, very slow clay - he will absolutely destroy competition in courts on the other side of the scale. Very fast courts would ensure that a player like Nadull will never beat Roger.

Who was the crying baby when Madrid changed to blue clay? Dull. Because he failed to adapt.

... and what of RaoDic taking out Roger in R1 Wimbledon? :haha:

Come on Gilles, that is utterly ridiculous. Roger's game evolved to play big servers so RaoDic could only get lucky to fluke 2 TBs and then hope for Federer to throw in a crappy service game. But Gilles has to consider that if Federer can't break, then RaoDic's break chances decrease from 5% to 0%. You can't have it both ways. He is a bit biased here.

The biggest winner of surface homogenisation is NaDull.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts

Dissing both Federer and Nadal. This guy likes to live on the edge.

He's my kind of fella, I'd let him rub his opinionated torso against me.

·
Registered
962 Posts

Who cares

·
Registered
4,423 Posts

I really am starting liking SImon, good that he is in player´s council, he is not affraid to say things, like this or vs equal prize money and so on, now the question is who was that influcencial player that was lobbying for similar surfaces, from what he said Roger is also candidate - but i think just like most others it was NAdal, either way one of them

·
Registered
16,539 Posts

Surface homogenization (even though it's been massively exaggerated here on MTF) has always favoured Federer, that's no secret.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Reading between the lines it appears the Dodger wanted to homogenzie the surfaces.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

"The slowdown of surfaces has been a 'political' decision. One player in particular insisted to have surfaces with similar speed, decreasing the differences. I just don't want to tell his name. All I want to say is that some players are more influential than others"
:lol: Subtlety is not Simon's strong point.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts

Well said, i have always considered Simon as a smart guy.

In 2004 Federer was greatly helped against Karlovic and Roddick when he played on the slowest grass i have ever seen.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts

:lol: Subtlety is not Simon's strong point.
Haha exactly :p We all know which player he speaks of, but apparently he is so powerful that the outspoken Gilles Simon is scared to just say it. Oh and people still defend Dull boy. How good are you when you can only win on one type of surface?

Also, Roger can adapt to many surfaces, so that is a very bizarre comment from Simon. He prefers different surfaces rather than insisting on all slow, clay like surfaces like Dull. His "legacy" being exposed more each day :)

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts

what does Poussin know about playing on grass? He's only been past the third round of Wimby once :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts

Well said, i have always considered Simon as a smart guy.

In 2004 Federer was greatly helped against Karlovic and Roddick when he played on the slowest grass i have ever seen.
On the contrary.

Roddick's best court against Federer was slow HC Miami, only place he won twice. The faster, the better for Federer (except clay, of course).

As for Karlovic, that match featured only one break of serve anyway. Federer won the same ay he usually beats Karlovic, by being a better TB player.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

Yeah sure buddy, I'm sure he would have 8 Slams if Us Open, AO and Wimbledon were faster and RG slower.

He's right about the last part, though.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

This is what I get using google translation
Why are the conditions as they are today?
There was a political decision. It was the top players that were better than the others, consciously allows to bring to all the documents entitled, without having to change the game. Thus, the Men's Tennis won today's superstars. Above all, a man whose name I do not want to call, had lobbied for it because the sport was better to sell.
http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/sport/tennis/Die-Stars-muessen-haeufiger-verlieren-/story/31665372
Not sure he was talking about a player.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.