Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can muller be top 20 without play any ATP event?

I think is ridiculous a player grab so many point in challenger events, he is in front of verdasco and delbonis how win ATP events, no make any sense.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Once a player enters Top 50 he is not allowed to play Challengers anymore. Unless he receives a Wild Card for an event.
Lu benefits a lot from that. Didn't Bellucci even get a WC into the Challenger Tour finals once when he was in the Top 50?

OP: I doubt that he would be able to collect enough points in Challenger tournaments anyway. Knowing Muller, he'll probably start playing bigger Challengers now and when he's well into the Top 100 he'll play 250 tournaments. He was never one to "vulture" points. Although Top 20 is very unlikely for him even in this shape.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
Lu benefits a lot from that. Didn't Bellucci even get a WC into the Challenger Tour finals once when he was in the Top 50?
It is allowed. Like I said "Unless he receives a Wild Card for an event.". But I doubt Muller would receive enough Wild Cards to be able to get Top 20 only through Challengers.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Muller gonna play at this moment only those Asian challengers and then maybe he get into Wimbledon after that he should try playing qualis in Newport and Atlanta.

I don't think so he gonna vulture, vulture and vulture on challengers when he don't need it.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
LOL, not happening. Say the average Challenger victory gives 90 points. Right now #20 has 1755 points. So Muller would need to win 19.5 Challengers to reach the top 20.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
LOL, not happening. Say the average Challenger victory gives 90 points. Right now #20 has 1755 points. So Muller would need to win 19.5 Challengers to reach the top 20.
But would be unable to count more than 18. Plus, if he would be high enough, he would get mandatory 0 pointers for failing to play on the main draw of grand slams. So, on a calendar year, a Challenger-only player can barely enter Top 50 before he is forced to play main tour events and cannot possibly go any higher without them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Top 150 player cannot play futures tournaments
Top 50 player cannot play challenger events unless someone gave him WC for.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
It's hardly unreasonable for such a serve-dependent player to chose hard/indoor challengers over European clay events, where he would just lose in qualifying.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Muller should do well imo at the 2nd half of the year, events like Atlanta, Newport, Winston Salem and Washington offer a good opportunity to pick up some ATP main tour points

·
Banned
5,740 Posts
The guy has been on fire lately but let him break Top 100 first. Then we'll see if he can keep up with the level at the ATP tournaments.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Muller should have really won a slam by now

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
lets assume Muller was top 30. Then Muller didn't play any GS or 1000's. Look, there's 12 zero pointers, have fun with the 6 Challenger wins to make your ranking.

Its not possible.

He could in theory win 10 or so, averaging 100 points and become top 50 but at that point he'd have to play masters events and all those challenger wins would drop to the non countables very very quickly.

Plus h's not even top 100 atm so why are you complaining? People outside the top 100 are supposed to be playing challangers to get a ranking high enough to get direct entry into ATP events, it's what everyone does. Can't fault Muller until he goes full Lu, and you should never go full Lu.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Like others have said, it isn't possible with the current ranking system.

I think the tour has passed him by - he had his chances back in the mid-2000s but now he couldn't possibly be considered a prospect anymore. Just another journeyman who never quite fulfilled his potential.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Probably not, he's almost 31 yo, has usually poor fitness and is injury prone.

Also I think he's not a top 20 talent even at his best. I like him, but I would say top 30-40 is his ceiling.

I bet he would be satisfied with an ATP title (almost came in Atlanta 2012) and another good run at Wimbledon or US Open.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts