Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gilles Muller has quietly put himself in a winning position vs. Rafa. He is quietly having a great tournament. I saw much of his huge win vs. Gulbis. Gulbis was in top form, as evidenced by his dominant win over Youzhny in the first round. Muller lost the first set to Gulbis but played three incredible sets to eliminate the dangerous Latvian. Muller's serve was lethal as always but his baseline game was very consistent too. It held up to the firepower of Gulbis. Now Muller is up 3-0 on Rafa on his favorite court in his favorite tournament. The former US Open junior champ is a bit of an unknown commodity in the ATP but this interview lets you get to know him better. Good read...

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles/biofile-with-gilles-muller/

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Muller is a lot more dangerous than his age (28) and career high (59) suggest. He has beaten Agassi, Roodick, Davydenko and Nadal himself all while they were top 6 players and on big occasions.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Beating cripple Rafa on hardcourts at the crappiest hes been his whole career doesn't say much though. Rafa is lucky just to be where he is in the ranking really. Miracle run at the French and Wimbledon crippled with injury. To me that speaks more on how CRAPPY everyone else is.. Level wise this is the absolute WORST I have ever seen Rafa.

These days a big enough serve should just do the trick to beat Rafa. If Muller doesn't beat Rafa I bet Roddick could. His return of serve is PITIFUL here and his serving is no better

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Good luck Muller

Hope for a surprise upset

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
"Gilles Muller has quietly put himself in a winning position" ... really? Just as Nalbandian was in a winning position in the first set?

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
muller can win the first 2 sets and he will still not get by the clay warrior.

its true and its clear that nadal is playing pathetic tennis right now but even his pathetic tennis is more than enough for guys like muller. nadal will find a way to win this match.

so he beat nadal on grass 100 years ago. no big deal. nadal had maybe 5-6 grass court matches under his belt back then and he was still developing as a tennis player.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Who cares? Muller is another all serve mug.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Beating cripple Rafa on hardcourts at the crappiest hes been his whole career doesn't say much though. Rafa is lucky just to be where he is in the ranking really. Miracle run at the French and Wimbledon crippled with injury. To me that speaks more on how CRAPPY everyone else is.. Level wise this is the absolute WORST I have ever seen Rafa.

These days a big enough serve should just do the trick to beat Rafa. If Muller doesn't beat Rafa I bet Roddick could. His return of serve is PITIFUL here and his serving is no better

It is unbelievable how you are such a hateful and a bitter person. You shit on every player in every thread. It is disgusting.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
It is unbelievable how you are such a hateful and a bitter person. You shit on every player in every thread. It is disgusting.
Im sorry but its true. Nadal looks AWFUL anymore.Very beatable. (I think its his superior mental toughess even making it through this season without a horrible W-L record. I don't shit on everyone though. Just saying it the way it is.

Things have to be put into perspective sometimes. What Rafa is Muller beating right now? A shell of his former self Rafa? Big Whoop. A dominant serve with a big enough ground strokes is all that it takes to beat Rafa today.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
If what you are saying were the truth Mr. Sampras, I'm sure Karlovic would have defeated Nadal the last time they played instead of losing in 4 sets, the same goes with Isner, and just about everyone else with a big serve.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts

Then you haven't seen Rafa play at all these last days. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
"Gilles Muller has quietly put himself in a winning position" ... really? Just as Nalbandian was in a winning position in the first set?
Hopefully he won't be running out of steam as quickly and will be able to count on that big serve in difficult times.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Im sorry but its true. Nadal looks AWFUL anymore.Very beatable. (I think its his superior mental toughess even making it through this season without a horrible W-L record. I don't shit on everyone though. Just saying it the way it is.

Things have to be put into perspective sometimes. What Rafa is Muller beating right now? A shell of his former self Rafa? Big Whoop. A dominant serve with a big enough ground strokes is all that it takes to beat Rafa today.
i happily donate money if they ban you.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Let's not exaggerate here, Nadal has played ALOT worse than this. I mean, he's actually been hitting some winners this tournament! Yesterday was just an anomaly due to his frustrations, he'll more than likely win in 4 sets.

Great interview by Muller, he is one of those rare few who seem to find gears that they never seem to be able to find unless they're playing against top players on the biggest of arenas. This run will drag Muller to the top 50, so he'll get his chance at the big tournaments and see if he can do any damage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts