Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brad Gilbert: "The Federer fans will be upset about it. In my opinion, Djokovic should get credit for these weeks while the rankings are frozen. He worked out his placement and he would have been number one if things had gone as normal.
Before Indian Wells it was clear that Djokovic would remain number one unless he lost before the semifinals and Rafa won the tournament.
That didn't happen and Djokovic is still number one. If you lost the points over the weeks as usual, Novak would remain number one for a long time, probably until his Wimbledon points fall out.
"

Darren Cahill: "Djokovic should keep the points until the next major. After that, I'm not sure what to do."

From ESPN television

·
Registered
981 Posts
That just proves that Brad Gilbert is incapable of logical thought.

He says:

he would have been number one if things had gone as normal
And then:

Before Indian Wells it was clear that Djokovic would remain number one unless he lost before the semifinals and Rafa won the tournament.
Unless we want to define Rafa winning IW as "abnormal" (even though it's happened three times before) or Djokovic getting knocked out before the SF as "abnormal" (even though it happened last year), then Gilbert is contradicting himself and is too stupid to realise it.

And that's not even to mention the fact that Rafa had a relatively poor clay season by his standards last year and could easily have gained a lot of points during the early clay tournaments.

Ranking spots are earned, not conferred by lazy pundits who can't say two sentences without contradicting themselves.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Corona is hitting the US hard right now and this is on Brad Gilbert's mind? Tennis and weeks at number one are irrelevant.

Djokovic is the well-deserved number one right now. The rankings have been frozen, no explanation needed.
He lost his job. He applied for unemployment. His state is locked down by his Governor. He is staying at home. He has an idle mind.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Apparently those guys don't understand how the ranking system works. I mean the ATP even had on there site what Novak needed to do to hold onto the number 1 ranking post IW. I guess those guys didn't see it.

Novak obviously wasn't a lock to keep the number 1 ranking and even if he was you still freeze the rankings. I mean no one is taking points away from Novak so he isn't losing anything. He can add weeks whenever tennis resume by his on court merit.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
While i do agree that Nole would be Nº1 for the foreseable future. But since they canceled IW and Miami.

This is not just about Nole and Nº1.

This is about everyone rankings.

So Nole should keep his stats until the next Slam. Why not Wimby?, Why not USOpen?
This is all new teritory. And not only tennis.

He should keep his weeks he had until IW. He and everyone else. Frozen.
Once tournaments start then those points from those tournaments last year start to drop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem with frozen ranking is that DJ and Nadal don't get enough credit for their slam wins (2 for both of them), while Federer was awarded full year for every win. Once they start to play again, they should keep their slam points or even all points, and that applies to all players, for as many additional weeks as the tour has been locked, to make it deserved 52 weeks (or some similar formula). Obviously you can see every Federer fan will hate such ideas, because his most important records are about to be broken.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Surprised at Cahill, Gilbert is kind of dumb even though I like him. It’s probably a bit unfair to Djokovic but really freezing the rankings and not counting the weeks is the only fair thing to do.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
"[...] and he would have been number one if things had gone as normal."
Djokovic out in the 3rd round (2019), or 2nd round (2018) in IW; 4th round (2019) and 2nd round (2018) in Miami. Normal...

·
justice for all
12,911 Posts
Gilbert was never particularly smart. Just look at his money face.
How did he even finish a primary school? His maths teacher must have been very lenient.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts