Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting back into tennis after a 20 year hiatus. In the 90s I was competitive and played some high school and small college tennis. So, I was pretty good.
I recently went out and can still hit it pretty Ok. Except my 1st serve needs a lot of work. I have an old Wilson Hammer that I played with back in the day. I have noticed racquets have gotten smaller. An oversized 105 to 110 head was common. Now head size is 95+ and string patterns are more of a thing.
I was considering trying out the Wilson blade or the heavier 18x20 strike by babolat. My game is baseline mostly but I like to come to the net too. I need control, but would also like a heavy ball. What recommendations would you all have for an old guy 47...on a new racquet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like it's been a couple of months since you posted this but thought I'd offer some feedback since your background is similar to mine, and I'm 46. I've spent the last 20 years playing with Craigslist racquet bargains maybe 4-5 times a summer, breaking strings, buying another CL racquet, etc. Thinking it was just the old string, I'd get some of my favorite racquets restrung only to have the string break again. Discovered my style doesn't sit well with open string patterns. This summer, I was invited to play in a local 3.5 league - but I was completely out of strung racquets. Instead of getting the old ones restrung I ONCE AGAIN went to Craigslist and found a dude selling 14 racquets for $250. My preliminary research suggested they're all good, fairly high end racquets, but geared toward control. Out of the bunch there were two I was kinda jazzed about, a Wilson RF97 and a Head Speed Pro. Figured I would try them all out, see what I like and sell the rest. Turns out the ones I was excited about did A) nothing for my game, and/or B) Tore my arm apart (we're not high schoolers any more). I'm happy to report I love the racquets I didn't care about at all - a bunch of older Volkls. It may take some work on your part, but I would encourage you to try and demo as many racquets as you possibly can, or see if anyone is selling all of their gear and just take the plunge. I haven't had any issues selling off the extra racquets. And if you're curious I still have five left.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts