Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good examples where Player A crushed Player B in late-round slam match, but then Player B turned it around and managed to beat Player A in their next late-round slam match?

I thought of the question after @bhdtl routed me in the semifinals of the ACC Boodles over the summer 6-1 6-1 6-1, but now I am about to close him out in the semifinals of the ACC main event in a few minutes. It would be fun to see some similar instances from real world tennis of this remarkable turnaround!

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I’ve closed it out! Maybe there are no parallels of this incredible achievement in real tennis?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
It was 2 matches apart but federer AO 2009 del potro then USO. There was the close RG match in between but he got better gradually

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Federer’s last 2 matches against Dull
Another one could be Fed losing to Djokovic in straights at Roland Garros in 2012, while clinching a win over him the Slam after in four sets on grass

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Another one could be Fed losing to Djokovic in straights at Roland Garros in 2012, while clinching a win over him the Slam after in four sets on grass
Kinda but Federer was up a break several times in that match and blew them all

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
What a sad thread. This kind of shameless self-promotion should be outlawed. in fact, it is in a lot of countries.

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was 2 matches apart but federer AO 2009 del potro then USO. There was the close RG match in between but he got better gradually
That would be a good one if there wasn’t a match in between

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m talking about the first matches being real beatdowns. Like triple breadsticks

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a sad thread. This kind of shameless self-promotion should be outlawed. in fact, it is in a lot of countries.
Maybe the French want to live like that, but not Americans

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I’m talking about the first matches being real beatdowns. Like triple breadsticks
Such extreme beatdowns are relatively rare in the late rounds of slams in the first place, so this will not have occurred frequently in combination with an inverse win. But a good case, where this even happened twice in a row (not with triple breadsticks, but with clear beatdowns) is the Connors-Borg rivalry:
Wimbledon 1978: Borg def. Connors 6-2 6-2 6-3
US Open 1978: Connors def. Borg 6-4 6-2 6-2
Wimbledon 1979: Borg def. Connors 6-2 6-3 6-2

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Such extreme beatdowns are relatively rare in the late rounds of slams in the first place, so this will not have occurred frequently in combination with an inverse win. But a good case, where this even happened twice in a row (not with triple breadsticks, but with clear beatdowns) is the Connors-Borg rivalry:
That’s a pretty good one!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Excellent example.

Even if not 2 slam finals, there is also an interesting case, because Becker ends his best season, the only one with 2 slam titles (Wimbledon and US Open) and Wilander has already passed his peak for 1 year.

15-01-1990Australian OpenHardQF
Mats Wilander (8)
Rank 15
Elo 2161 (+23)
d.
Boris Becker (2)
Rank 2
Elo 2410 (-22)
6-4 6-4 6-2
15-12-1989Davis Cup WGCarpetF
Boris Becker
Rank 2
Elo 2413 (+4)
d.
Mats Wilander
Rank 12
Elo 2152 (-4)
6-2 6-0 6-2

·
Registered
17,739 Posts
DV again trying to make his ACC success seem like an insider joke...

No dude, we genuinely think you're a bad poster.

Nobody is "in on it".

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DV again trying to make his ACC success seem like an insider joke...

No dude, we genuinely think you're a bad poster.

Nobody is "in on it".
Hi weasel - please stay on topic or refrain from posting kthnxbye

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Does anyone have any good examples where Player A crushed Player B in late-round slam match, but then Player B turned it around and managed to beat Player A in their next late-round slam match?

I thought of the question after @bhdtl routed me in the semifinals of the ACC Boodles over the summer 6-1 6-1 6-1, but now I am about to close him out in the semifinals of the ACC main event in a few minutes. It would be fun to see some similar instances from real world tennis of this remarkable turnaround!
What about paying the money you have promised first?

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts