Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Munich Oktoberfest canceled due to Coronavirus fears.

Germany Cancels Oktoberfest Due To Coronavirus Fears ->(favorite)

When will the French Open follow suit?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Well, I don't really expect Roland Garros to happen, but you have to acknowledge that the Oktoberfest is yet another order of risk. On average 6 Mio visitors making party in densely packed tents, restaurants and bars. You couldn't invent a much better method for spreading this virus.

·
Registered
11,297 Posts
RG will happen i think in a “degradate” mode - reduction of spectators by half and lots of measures of prevention. But by September the restriction of travel will be off and players should be able to travel safely.
i don’t see much risk for RG in September tbh

Reactions: NADALalot

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Well, I don't really expect Roland Garros to happen, but you have to acknowledge that the Oktoberfest is yet another order of risk. On average 6 Mio visitors making party in densely packed tents, restaurants and bars. You couldn't invent a much better method for spreading this virus.
Sounds like Corona dream party ! Black death would be jealous . Why would they ruin it for the little bastard?

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Who knows what things will be like in the fall.

Also, RG has just finished an expensive, large-scale rebuilding of the PCC and most likely expected to recoup the costs this year. But they have no insurance against pandemics like Wimbledon, so they are hoping the situation will have improved enough by September to hold the slam. If not, they may be in trouble, but I honestly don't know, it's just my reading.

·
Registered
952 Posts
What does Oktoberfest have to do with RG? I dont see any connection there. One is a huge festival that draws millions of people; the other one is a sports event, which can run behind closed doors if necessary.

·
justice for all
18,882 Posts
These two have nothing to do with each other.
The risk obviously much much higher during Oktoberfest than RG especially if they play it with reduced crowd. But can they afford it?
Anyway, still a lot of time till October so I wouldn’t exclude RG to be played. I give it a 50% chance and keep fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Why? I thought alcohol can kill the virus.
If you have so much alcohol inside that it kills the virus, it first kills you, I'm afraid. Although your president seems to like the idea to inject disinfectants into human beings. Certainly has the advantage that they don't die from the virus.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I think it will be played without spectators and without players, but we won't notice the difference because of how short daytime is in september/october and the lack of lights.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If you have so much alcohol inside that it kills the virus, it first kills you, I'm afraid. Although your president seems to like the idea to inject disinfectants into human beings. Certainly has the advantage that they don't die from the virus.
Yeah, right, Trump also believes sex is a cure because he used words "make" and "love" in his COVID-19 briefing.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
You want to compare a Grandslam tournament and a bunch of drunken people?
Why is everyone so bitter that RG is still on?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
You want to compare a Grandslam tournament and a bunch of drunken people?
Why is everyone so bitter that RG is still on?
First of all, your discrimination of drunk people is staggering. You will hear from my lawyers.

Actually I find it quite entertaining that RG is still on. Their reputation is destroyed, and its 99 % not happening anyways.

And if it does, I'm the last to complain, I'm hungry for some tennis. Besides, the tournament would be far more open. Unlike many other tennis players, Nadal is not able to practice on a court and will be rusty as fuck with no warm up for clay. Add to this the colder temperatures, and we could be in for a real treat.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
First of all, your discrimination of drunk people is staggering. You will hear from my lawyers.

Actually I find it quite entertaining that RG is still on. Their reputation is destroyed, and its 99 % not happening anyways.

And if it does, I'm the last to complain, I'm hungry for some tennis. Besides, the tournament would be far more open. Unlike many other tennis players, Nadal is not able to practice on a court and will be rusty as fuck with no warm up for clay. Add to this the colder temperatures, and we could be in for a real treat.
You cant compare both of these 2 gatherings.
There is no control of what happens and with this virus out there it would be crazy.
Now tennis is another matter. It will depend on which countries have it under control.
Travel is also a huge barrier. Lets see it month by month.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts