Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stich was playing awesome today. Better than most players on the ATP Tour. His backhand is a beauty.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
stich occasionally plays in germany's 2nd league, too (doubles only). he is obviously in a much better shape than most of the other participants here.

oh, and the tv coverage here in germany was just horrible, by the way.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Becker was a bit disappointing, this little joke against McEnroe shouldn't have happened. Stich and Goellner played well in the 1993 team, deserved win for them, but you also couldn't have complained if USA won it because Gimelstob was a strong part of the team and a dangerous double with McEnroe.

And it were some very entertaining temper tantrums of McEnroe and funny discussions between him and Roland Herfel :haha: but one was really too much as he fired a ball into the direction of a line judge.

oh, and the tv coverage here in germany was just horrible, by the way.
I think you can't expect them to show Goellner vs Gimelstob or other teams with no German participation live. It's sure that they focus on some matches and about three hours every day was okay IMO. But the many commercial breaks and too long talking before or after the match sucked.
Getting Gerd Szepanski as commentator was a brilliant move, he was at his vey best, but I just can't stand Steven Gätjen :banghead: and Opdenhövel is a bit too much of a Labertasche sometimes, but okay for some events like "Schlag den Raab" etc., I still can like him

·
Registered
537 Posts
that event was in my town, and I went there two times. it was pretty good, Stich was in superb form against Ivanisevic.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I liked how the event played out and hope that Pro7 is satisfied enough to repeat it next year.
And while you can complain about the length of the commercial breaks, they at least didn't have any between the changeovers, so I could live with that.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And while you can complain about the length of the commercial breaks, they at least didn't have any between the changeovers, so I could live with that.
They had 1 or 2 times in the final. Players had to wait on their bench until the commercial break was over. Pretty annoying for the players and the viewers.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
typical Stich and his domination when he plays in his own country

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
They had 1 or 2 times in the final. Players had to wait on their bench until the commercial break was over. Pretty annoying for the players and the viewers.
They did? Must have missed that, then, since I didn't watch all of it.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Nice win for Stich and Goellner :) Michael was the best player of the tournament, followed by Jarryd.
Would have loved to see Michael playing against Pioline also, but you can't have it all.

Becker was a bit disappointing, this little joke against McEnroe shouldn't have happened. Stich and Goellner played well in the 1993 team, deserved win for them, but you also couldn't have complained if USA won it because Gimelstob was a strong part of the team and a dangerous double with McEnroe.

And it were some very entertaining temper tantrums of McEnroe and funny discussions between him and Roland Herfel :haha: but one was really too much as he fired a ball into the direction of a line judge.
McEnroes behaviour in the match against Becker was a bit too much for my taste, but I found him really entertaining yesterday against Stich. His kick in the border and the complaining with the referee that it wasn't necessery to gift Michael points as he would be the better player anyway :lol:

It was interesting to see the doubles between Stich/Goellner and McEnroe/Gimelstob. They were all good doubles players in their careers and neither team had lost in the tournament. As you said, Neely, the doubles could have gone either way and in the end the Germans won with a little bit of luck, but that belongs to sport as well.

I think you can't expect them to show Goellner vs Gimelstob or other teams with no German participation live. It's sure that they focus on some matches and about three hours every day was okay IMO. But the many commercial breaks and too long talking before or after the match sucked.
Getting Gerd Szepanski as commentator was a brilliant move, he was at his vey best, but I just can't stand Steven Gätjen :banghead: and Opdenhövel is a bit too much of a Labertasche sometimes, but okay for some events like "Schlag den Raab" etc., I still can like him
Overall this tournament was a nice idea and the players seem to have enjoyed it. But I think the matches took place a bit late during the week, yesterday it was much better.

Szepanski mentioned the commercial aspect of the event yesterday, but the amount and length of the commercial breaks were really too much.

And was it really necessary to ask why todays players don't have the same fascination as the legends who have played in that event? :rolleyes: Give the viewers a chance to see the players of today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts