Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
King Of Tennis
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: Roger Federer accused of 'using his position' and changing ATP Rankings system to 'protect himself'

German Tennis Federation Vice-President Dirk Hordorff has hit out at Roger Federer being “irresponsible” and using his position on the ATP Player Council to change the ATP Rankings system to “protect himself”.

Following the suspension of all tennis for five months due to the coronavirus pandemic, the ATP opted to freeze the rankings until the Tour resumed in August.

Additionally they announced that instead of the usual 12-month rolling period that takes into account a player’s “Best 18” results, it would cover a period of 22 months.

Hordorff claims it was all Federer’s doing as the 20-time Grand Slam winner, who only played one tournament this year, managed to hang onto fifth place in the ATP Rankings under the revised system.

“Roger Federer simply changed the ranking method to protect himself. It is irresponsible and quite simply incorrect,” he told Tennisnet.com’s "Quiet, Please" podcast.

“In my opinion, he takes advantage of his position on the Players’ Council. It must nevertheless be said that without the change in ranking system, Roger Federer would not be in the top 50.”

According to calculations done by @JeuSetMaths, Federer would be No 29 on the ATP Rankings under the original system.

Hordorff added: “That the ATP Finals, which is the 19th tournament of the year anyway, will stay there for two years? That’s perverse.”

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Are you talking about me? I'm just giving an opinion on the article and quotes from the German Vice-President.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Well, Hordorff was the one who criticised Djokovic in Summer for making up his association out of egoistic reasons to damage the sports. He’s mostly known here in Germany who wears his heart on his sleeves, controversial figure.

·
King Of Tennis
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys have nothing better to do than to continuously attack a 39-year-old, semi-retired, injured living legend of this sport?

What can I say... your priorities show nothing more than your insecure mental state.
Is this addressed to me? How did I attack anyone? All I did was post an article I thought would be an interesting read. I've yet to state my opinion.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
This is speculation, and most especially illogical. The result of the ranking change is that Djokovic's points remain protected no matter his AO result, which can mean Djokovic is now 99% guaranteed to pass Federer's 310 weeks record. Would Federer have done that, made #1 harder ro reach, in order to stay in Top 50, lol?

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
This is speculation, and most especially illogical. The result of the ranking change is that Djokovic's points remain protected no matter his AO result, which can mean Djokovic is now 99% guaranteed to pass Federer's 310 weeks record. Would Federer have done that, made #1 harder ro reach, in order to stay in Top 50, lol?
Novak would've had 22 more weeks and passed Federer in October had they not changed the rankings, though.

·
King Of Tennis
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ATP froze the rankings for 22 weeks. The record would've already been broken by now (let alone before the AO) if that didn't happen.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
The ATP froze the rankings for 22 weeks. The record would've already been broken by now (let alone before the AO) if that didn't happen.
Novak would've had 22 more weeks and passed Federer in October had they not changed the rankings, though.
All speculation. Djokovic would have dropped more without being able to defend than the others. I will use OER resources to do a 2020 repass with normal rules, and see what would have happened across the year. You may be right, but let's see when and where.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
All speculation. Djokovic would have dropped more without being able to defend than the others. I will use OER resources to do a 2020 repass with normal rules, and see what would have happened across the year. You may be right, but let's see when and where.
If the points had dropped as scheduled, Djokovic would have 100% passed Federer by October.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Freezing the rankings due to the pandemic is not exactly a radical idea. It was even discussed here, so no doubt it was discussed among the players both in and out of the council.

And yes, Federer has a lot of influence, probably more than any other single ATP player. But he doesn’t have the ultimate decision-making power. It is, after all, a council, and while I don’t know the inner workings of how they arrive at their decisions, I’m sure that some sort of voting majority is required.

So even if Federer initiated the idea to protect himself (and those in his situation) a significant number of others had to agree.

·
King Of Tennis
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Per the tweet in the OP, if we're just using 2020 points, King is still #1. In fact, he'd have a bigger lead using 2020 points alone. The "frozen ranking" minimizes his lead.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
Per the tweet in the OP, if we're just using 2020 points, King is still #1. In fact, he'd have a bigger lead using 2020 points alone. The "frozen ranking" minimizes his lead.
That is the situation now, with a fragile difference in points, that would have been vulnerable to AO 2021 performances.

I am talking about a week to week run through 2020.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Just a moron tool spewing shit out of his mouth without evidence. How could Federer single handily have that kind of power? This is up to the ATP, not Federer or any other player.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts