Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
Re: German Daviscup Team

My wish was Kohlschreiber, Zverev, Brown, Petzschner and I don't see a lot of other options right now. Nice that they play on hard.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts

I expect the same team. Becker is totally out of shape and Brown/Petzschner sounds like a better team than Begemann with one the other players.

·
Registered
839 Posts

Zverev needs two Davis Cup appearances to have a chance playing the Olympic Games. And beside Kohlschreiber he is for me the only option for the singles.

·
Registered
26,125 Posts

This "two appearances since 2013" may be written in the rules, but I refuse to believe it. What about injuries or simply being too young? Brown and Petzschner also have zero DC appearances since 2013, so all these guys need to get nominated now and also in February in order to have a chance? Sounds kinda wrong to me.
The good news is the German committee has dropped their stupid additional criteria, so a top 50 ranking should be enough for our players. However, in case of doubles, I'm afraid Petzschner needs a top 10 ranking, or else they simply put the singles guys together.

Yes crazy how basically every former DC singles player is so far behind their best right now and therefore no serious option (Mayer, Gojowczyk, Haas, Brands, Struff, Becker, Kamke).

·
Registered
839 Posts

This "two appearances since 2013" may be written in the rules, but I refuse to believe it.

Yes crazy how basically every former DC singles player is so far behind their best right now and therefore no serious option (Mayer, Gojowczyk, Haas, Brands, Struff, Becker, Kamke).
Hopefully you're right.
It's crazy how many Top 100 Player are or were struggling with injuries or bad form. Mischa Zverev is another one. But in some cases it has to do with age.

The Davis Cup squad is nice. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts

The ITF can make exceptions considering these factors:

While the ITF Olympic Committee has the right to make final judgement on a player’s eligibility with
regard to the Olympic Tennis Event, it will take into consideration the following special
circumstances:

Long-term injury
A player is injured or otherwise unable to compete in any authorised tennis tournament for a
minimum of six (6) months. The player must provide authorised medical information about his injury
or illness if requested by his National Association or ITF.

Newcomer to Davis/Fed Cup
A player only reaches a ranking level sufficient for Davis/Fed Cup selection by his National
Association during the latter part of an Olympic cycle.

Strength of Nation
A nation has a large number of highly-ranked players resulting in strict competition for selection, or
its Davis/Fed Cup selection policy limits the opportunities for singles players.
http://www.itftennis.com/media/198113/198113.pdf

·
163,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The eight seeded nations in the World Group play-offs are:

Switzerland (1)
Belgium (2)
Australia (3)
Canada (4)
Kazakhstan (5)
Spain (6)
Germany (7)