Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got through qualifying at M15 ITF Antalya!

He hasn't played since 2019 and even that year only played twice (French open qualifying with a PR and a tournament in Kazakhstan)

·
Registered
61,162 Posts
Damn, wasn't sure he was coming back at this point. Does he still have a PR? Or is he ineligible after his previous abortive comeback?

·
MONSOON season.
82,478 Posts
Good to see him back. He's an underachiever in some ways, having spent so long away from the tour due to injuries. At the same time he manages to be an overachiever though; his career high really is higher than his normal abilities IMO.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
VEB was really on his way out. 16-0 record and probably entered the match as an underdog.
Oh man, VEB was going for 4 in a row. Didn't know it was Melzer who took him out. 😭😭😭
I remember this match very well. I was watching on my laptop in bed in the city where I studied (Tilburg). VEB had 0-30 or breakpoints in the third set but couldn't convert and then got broken himself. It was a big fight in 3 sets.

I just checked to be sure.. it was that 15-40 game after he just had saved several breakpoints on his own serve. I remember the crowd wasn't even really supportive, maybe they were bored seeing the same guy win all the time but I wasn't bored at all.

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-04 om 20.26.37.png

·
Registered
21,658 Posts
You mean in Singles? I thought he may compete more in Doubles, but this is unexpected.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You mean in Singles? I thought he may compete more in Doubles, but this is unexpected.
Yep, in singles.

He's got a 26 year old German guy named Lucas Gerch in round 1. Could get Leo Borg in the quarters.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think I am more hyped about Jürgen's doubles campaign in Tokyio (with Domi maybe) than his boring underchiever brother

·
MONSOON season.
82,478 Posts
Yep, in singles.

He's got a 26 year old German guy named Lucas Gerch in round 1. Could get Leo Borg in the quarters.
Gerch certainly more of a threat than Borg. It would be a shock if Borg even reached that stage.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gerch certainly more of a threat than Borg. It would be a shock if Borg even reached that stage.
I was simply stating an "intriguing old v new name recognition" match-up, I'm sure Gerch is a very good tennis player.

·
Registered
22,563 Posts
I'm just going to say it: I never realized he was gone

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yep, in singles.

Melzer lost 6-7(5) 6-4 4-6.
Borg lost 2-6 2-6.

Is that his original PR or did he have to get a new one based on when he tried to come back? Cuz pretty sure the one he got in 2019 would have been much higher, he was fringe top 100 pre-injury.
I don't really understand the PR Rules, but it seems that this is original PR, his Ranking already dropped in late 2018 , he was 194 in his last tournament.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts