Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rod Laver tells ESPN:

"There's certainly no excuse for swearing. That's just bad behaviour, that's ugly. Nick's young and maybe doesn't realise what he is doing sometimes. He's playing with emotion, as a crowd builds him up. That's certainly something that he needs to grow out of and he needs to grow out of that sooner rather than later as with his performance here, I don't think many Australians would agree with it."​

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-urges-Nick-Kyrgios-let-racquet-talking.html

:smash:

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
So it's not okay because Australians don't agree with it.

Ok...

·
Your visions will happen
50,002 Posts
Sensationalist headline, as usual

Laver says one line about that, then spends the rest of the article praising Nick and saying basically he is Neo from the Matrix

We would love to have another champion in Australia. We're losing Lleyton Hewitt. We would like Kyrgios to take that role.
Real headline is: "Laver: Kyrgios is The Chosen One"

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sensationalist headline, as usual

Laver says one line about that, then spends the rest of the article praising Nick and saying basically he is Neo from the Matrix

Real headline is: "Laver: Kyrgios is The Chosen One"
The gist of the article is that Laver thinks Kyrgios is a talented player with much promise, but that his antics both on and off the court will not help his career and will turn off most Australians from supporting him.

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
The gist of the article is that Laver thinks Kyrgios is a talented player with much promise, but that his antics both on and off the court will not help his career and will turn off most Australians from supporting him.

So in other words, Laver is a sensible and intelligent human being.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Lock thread and ban OP. Another misleading title to get attention, wayyyyyy too many on this site recently.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I'm not at all a fan of Kyrgios' behaviour and I think the tanking was symptomatic of a much deeper malaise he needs help to address, but there is a certain amount of self-righteous bullshit in the attacks on Kyrgios.

Laver hasn't lived in Oz for years, so how would he know what Australians expect?

No-one seemed to get to upset at Andy Murray's expletives back at the AO - indeed everyone kind of cheered when his then girlfriend hit back at critics of her r rated vocal support via a teeshirt.

And no one here seems to get too upset at the sledging our cricket players engage in for example.

Seems to me the problem for the young up and comers is that they struggle to make sense of the blatant double standards - by far the worst attack on referees last year was surely that by Berdych (the affair of the double bounce) for example, yet he apologised and everyone moved on. Ditto Monfils blatant tank at the USO last year. Rafa's endless breaches of the time rule and success in having Bernardes removed.

Need to fix up the system, not pick out some scapegoats.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
:lol: laver giving kyrgios shit for swearing? Someone needs to tell him we don't live in the 30's anymore.

·
Premium Member
96,462 Posts
As usual we have a dinosaur commentating on the state of the game 40 years after he played it.

Yawn

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I CANT DEAL WITH THIS BULLSHIT! I DONT EVEN LIKE KYRGIOS BUT I GOTTA FEEL FOR THE ****! MY GOD!? WHO THE HELL DOESNT SWEAR THESE DAYS???? HEWITT SURE DID! Lord, I can't EVEN!

#staystrongnick #staystrongbernie

Honestly, I'd be here for both of them threatening to defect at this point! Thanasi too! This is TIRESOME! PUPPETS PUPPETS EVERYWHERE!

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Anyway forget the swearing, which is just a symptom of emotional instability (this was Rod's main point) He needs to learn composure and how to play within himself, independent of everything else which may be happening on court.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nick might get offers from elsewhere........just as British Tennis offered Novak and his family enormous dosh and coaches to become UK subjects!

I'm not so sure the Brits --- who are much more uptight about manners than those in OZ --- want an ill-behaved Aussie or if that Aussie is up to learning a formidable list of British manners.

From: http://www.debretts.com/british-etiquette/british-behaviour#sthash.qhr6XQqo.dpuf

Our indispensable Guide to British life and manners.

From Countryside Rules, Dress Codes, Kilts, Meeting Royalty and Port Etiquette to Apologising, Introductions, Queuing, Reticence, Small Talk and Understatement. British rituals, social occasions, manners and characteristics decoded.

Countryside Rules

A TO H
Apologising, Chivalry, Countryside, Dress Codes, Drunkenness, Faux-Pas, Formal Dinners, Humour.
british behaviour, debrett's guide to british behaviour

I TO O
Informality, Invitations, Jokes, Kilts, Kissing, Loo, Members' Clubs, Money, Ostentation.
port étiquette

P TO Q
Politeness, Politics, Port, Presents, Pronunciation, Ps and Qs, Pubs, Queuing.
guide to british etiquette

R TO S
Reserve, Royalty, RSVPs, Season, Self-Deprecation, Shooting, Stiff Upper Lip, Sunbathing.
u and non u terms

T TO Z
Table Manners, Taxis, Tea, Tipping, Titles, Understatement, Weather, Weddings.​

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Good on Laver for speaking up about this. Kyrgios strikes me as someone who has had too many yes-men and family members turning a blind eye to his bad behaviour. Given Rafter's position, I don't think he should be criticising players so publicly but hearing these words from a highly respected legend like Laver might make Kygios take notice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts