Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easy win as expected, but the German will need to beat much tougher players to get some confidence before the French Open.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Re: Geneva R2: Zverev d. Gulbis 6-1, 6-2

Not really an easy win. 6-2 6-1 looks nice.
The current problems, 2nd serve and ralleys, were still there.
He won the match due to his first serve and making less errors.
Good thing from the match: he was able to convert and defend
bp's much better than in the weeks before.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts

Watched the first seven games of it, match was garbage. Out of every stroke from both players, I think Zverevs 1st serve was the only one working.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts

Watched the first seven games of it, match was garbage. Out of every stroke from both players, I think Zverevs 1st serve was the only one working.
Agreed. Match looked promising when Gulbis went up a break for 2-1 in the first set, then managed to win just one more game for the rest of the match. (Score was actually 6-2 6-1, not 6-1 6-2 as suggested in the title.)

·
justice for all
13,104 Posts

I watched this. Wouldn't read too much into this "beatdown". Gulbis looked like a semi-pro player. Going for impossible winners in wild positions, spraying unforced errors left and right, no pace or consistency on serve, even his BH looked terrible. He was like on a 10 match losing streak before his 1st round win too.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Playing a 250 before a slam... Come on Alexander, start acting like you're the #5 in the world.

Don't bother mentioning rhythm issues or his age, he should be completely focussed on going deep in Paris instead of beating another nobody from the Djokovic generation. Dellien waiting in the QF, what a treat!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Possibly finding some form just before RG.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

I watched this. Wouldn't read too much into this "beatdown". Gulbis looked like a semi-pro player. Going for impossible winners in wild positions, spraying unforced errors left and right, no pace or consistency on serve, even his BH looked terrible. He was like on a 10 match losing streak before his 1st round win too.
Yes he indeed was. Three of the matches being qualifiers and one being a challenger. Feels like he doesn’t really give a shit anymore lol. Zverev Fans really shouldn’t be gushing over this win. He wasn’t playing that well either

·
justice for all
13,104 Posts

Yes he indeed was. Three of the matches being qualifiers and one being a challenger. Feels like he doesn’t really give a shit anymore lol. Zverev Fans really shouldn’t be gushing over this win. He wasn’t playing that well either
Well, that's the story of his career really. Short spans of caring between long periods of not giving a shit.

·
Registered
967 Posts

Playing a 250 before a slam... Come on Alexander, start acting like you're the #5 in the world.

Don't bother mentioning rhythm issues or his age, he should be completely focussed on going deep in Paris instead of beating another nobody from the Djokovic generation. Dellien waiting in the QF, what a treat!
Wawrinka reached SF and F after winning Geneva in 2016 and 2017 so it can work. He is (was anyways) obviously more fit than Zverev.

Theres very little to suggest Zverev can go far in Paris, but here hes with a half chance :smile2:

·
justice for all
13,104 Posts

Wawrinka reached SF and F after winning Geneva in 2016 and 2017 so it can work. He is (was anyways) obviously more fit than Zverev.

Theres very little to suggest Zverev can go far in Paris, but here hes with a half chance :smile2:
Dominic Thiem reached RG F after winning Lyon last year.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Well, he did reach the QF last year. Wasting your energy at a 250 could be a factor in going far or perhaps, when your name is Thiem, winning it all. By wasting your energy I mean facing different levels of competition next to not being able to peak physically throughout a slam.

·
justice for all
13,104 Posts

Well, he did reach the QF last year. Wasting your energy at a 250 could be a factor in going far or perhaps, when your name is Thiem, winning it all. By wasting your energy I mean facing different levels of competition next to not being able to peak physically throughout a slam.
Well, this year Dominic decided to NOT play this week despite going out early in Rome. And I believe it was a good decision.

·
Registered
21,270 Posts

Admittedly you have a bit of merit here, you said the same thing in Munich iirc which I thought was wrong, but in this case I don’t see the point in playing Geneva, should be put more effort in practice courts and solving his issues mainly the 2nd serve and his FH.

Sure he didn’t really play much this clay season with those early exits but he already played so many tournaments and unfortunately they didn’t work, so maybe a different approach with a bit more rest and time on practice courts could work

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Why would Zverev focus on RG? It's Bo5 there.
He's still maturing physically. It's a myth athletes who are in their early 20s are fitter than older players and should be able to play BO5 matches all day long.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are used to playing BO5 matches. In other words, their bodies are used to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts