Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Result NID, great performance of Joao today with great FH winners

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Re: T2 Geneva: Sousa def Melzer 6-4 6-4

Beating his imperfect clone must have motivated him.

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
Double bounce controversy:

Melzer to Sousa: "If you don't give me the call, our friendship is done. (...) Worst thing that happened to me from a friend."

·
Registered
21,641 Posts

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
He hits the ball to the ground, after which it goes over the net, there is no doubt.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don´t know if it was double bounce. Looking at the video its difficult to see and the way it was I think if it touched the ground probably João really believed he reached the ball before second bounce. Melzer wasn´t expecting the ball to be returned after the drop shot thats why he wasn´t ready but for a shot that was so difficult to judge Melzer should be ready to cover the net instead of stopping.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Pointless rant from Melzer. He won the point anyway and Sousa might have got it wrong. It was a close call.
why was the score in the next point ad-Sousa if Melzer had won the point?

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Friends will be friends.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Clearly a double bounce when you watch the replay, but hard to fault Sousa or the umpire here. Melzer had the best view and angle, and got it right.

Pretty funny that he said "If you don't give me this point, our friendship is over." almost immediadely though. Did they shake?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Honestly anyone who actually plays tennis knows that sometimes it's just that close, and you were so intensely focused on getting there you don't even know for sure whether the ball touched the ground or not. Melzer is way too experienced to take things like this so personally.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
:)

Sousa netted the smash, so the point goes to Melzer anyway. Am I missing something?
maybe there's a but you can clearly see in the video that the next point shown is ad-Sousa. I don't get why Melzer would rant over it if he had won the point anyway.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts