Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rublev was up a minibreak late in the tiebreak and had a match point at 6-5*, but couldn't get through and then collapsed in the third.

Giraldo next for Cilic.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Rublev had 5-2 in the tiebreak and a match point but he was not ready yet to take out a TOP10 player. Mentally, he's still weak. You could see how disappointed he was at the end of the match. :hug:

Cilic was mediocre in this one. He's playing his pigeon, Giraldo in the next round. Should be a lot easier for him. Also, he served really well.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Haters in ruins.

Funny thing is, it could've so easily finished as a straight sets win for Rublev and Marin wasn't even playing bad. Good to see Marin so clutch in the TB, and closing it out with an easy third set. He should beat Giraldo and get at least a couple more matches on clay under his belt before RG.

Reactions: Nole Rules

·
Registered
14,899 Posts
I hope Cilic won't look at me with his pedo eyes when I'll be there in the following days. :lol:

Rublev, you could have saved us! :(

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Re: Geneva R2: [WC2] Cilic def. [WC] Rublev 4-6 7-6(7) 6-1

Rublev was the better player for two sets. Too bad he couldn't convert his MP. His coach wearing an RF sweater, surely a good kid.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I remember Donskoy saying that it was hard for him to handle Rublev as a doubles partner due to his emotional explosions. The kid has a raging bull inside, which mostly abuses himself, his shoes and balls. He ought to learn how to tame it. I think he will, but we shall see.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Damn Cilic is rubbish on clay :lol:

I'm surprised by how well Rublev's been doing in ATP events. Zverev tried the same but failed at 17 but Rublev is showing consistency all ready which is impressive. Shame he couldn't capitalized on the match point but he'll have many more opportunities to beat top 10 players in the future of course. Let's hope he can capitalize then :).

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Damn Cilic is rubbish on clay :lol:

I'm surprised by how well Rublev's been doing in ATP events. Zverev tried the same but failed at 17 but Rublev is showing consistency all ready which is impressive. Shame he couldn't capitalized on the match point but he'll have many more opportunities to beat top 10 players in the future of course. Let's hope he can capitalize then :).
:confused:

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Rublev had 5-2 in the tiebreak and a match point but he was not ready yet to take out a TOP10 player. Mentally, he's still weak. You could see how disappointed he was at the end of the match. :hug:

Cilic was mediocre in this one. He's playing his pigeon, Giraldo in the next round. Should be a lot easier for him. Also, he served really well.
Bizarre comment considering he was one point away from doing it, a weak serve or a DF from Cilic on match point would have been enough. Great performance from Rublev, he's already a fantastic player...

As for Cilic, hope after this scare he goes deep here, about time he gets a good result this year. I don't imagine he will be up to much at RG, but if he's in form at Wimbledon he will be dangerous for anyone.

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,644 Posts
The whole match was reminiscent of a typical drama. Rublev's first service games and break seemed to be an exposition, 2nd set's tiebreak and the Russian's mp like a climax and the third set was some kind of resolution.

Kudos to Rublev! This young kid has to deal with (his) chagrins, but he's only 17 years old and he already impressed me more than Coric did in the past months. This guy could have a bright future if he keeps fighting and training hard, I'm a little bit optimistic here. Only thing I giggled at was his coach's jacket, seems to be a fedtard. ;) :spit:

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Bizarre comment considering he was one point away from doing it, a weak serve or a DF from Cilic on match point would have been enough. Great performance from Rublev, he's already a fantastic player...

As for Cilic, hope after this scare he goes deep here, about time he gets a good result this year. I don't imagine he will be up to much at RG, but if he's in form at Wimbledon he will be dangerous for anyone.
Just answer me these questions. How many Rublev matches have you watched?
How many times have you seen Rublev break a racket?

:shrug:

Don't get me wrong. He's my 2nd favorite young gun, but that doesn't change the fact he's a headcase.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Just answer me these questions. How many Rublev matches have you watched?
How many times have you seen Rublev break a racket?

:shrug:

Don't get me wrong. He's my 2nd favorite young gun, but that doesn't change the fact he's a headcase.
Quite a few. I agree with you that his emotions on court are all over the place and he'll have to learn to reign it in with time. But even considering that, you can't say he's not ready to beat a top 10 player when he was a point away from doing it, and it's not like Cilic was playing terrible or anything...

·
Registered
24,789 Posts

How do you know a weak serve would have been enough, and that means Cilic would have given him the match, he would not have won it. Not to mention he had the chance and did not do it, so the comment is correct in saying he's not ready yet.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Quite a few. I agree with you that his emotions on court are all over the place and he'll have to learn to reign it in with time. But even considering that, you can't say he's not ready to beat a top 10 player when he was a point away from doing it, and it's not like Cilic was playing terrible or anything...
Alright, you have a point there. ( I could mention Cilic isn't really a top10 player on clay, but that's not really important)

Rublev has the best fundamentals of all the young guns. Solid serve, a lot of pace on both wings. I'm sure he'll be a MTF favorite, especially if he calms downs.

If his game becomes consistent he can achieve great things in the future. :yeah:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts