Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
23,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now we have discovered what happens if two very similarly sounding players play against each other -- last name, then country name.

For the match, it is quite decent actually the start of the match. Souza hitting well and big and serving well, while Sousa was solid on his too. However, around the 5-5 mark the pressure got to Souza and wasn't able to serve 1st serves. The groundies started to fade well and Sousa was just plain solid. Did save an SP I think but there is that one short ball...a loud Sousa grunt reutrn...a smash...that missed giving Sousa the break to serve it out. Sousa was able to serve it out.

Souza still wasn't able to erase on his mind the 1st Set, and was down early break. After finally winning a game on the 2nd Set, he wasn't able to break (Sousa was serving well too, but groundies of Sousa was just solid while Souza was hit or miss). He was almost broken to lose but Souza was able to hang on a bit. Sousa played a good close to win the match.

Messina was the umpire but sadly didn't put much oomph on the umpiring. The crowd was also small (predictable for the first days, and it was against lower ranked players), so really not much atmosphere to get with to. After the mid-match slump of Souza (5 straight games lost) you just feel it's already NID unless Sousa downs his level. Not as epic as you would've hoped (I wish for a TB) but expected result I guess.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
so in Portugal they speak the cleaner portuguese

at least this match had a meaning

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
So what happens if they're from the same country?

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Souza didn't receive the tweet about the cleaner Portuguese it seems

·
23,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what happens if they're from the same country?
That is another mystery that the ATP should solve...my guess is they are going to use their middle names. Maybe ask Souza/Sousa to switch their represented country? :lol:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Better player won. Sousa's serve has improved so much recently! Mentally he's more consistent and can keep the level more time. Really interesting victory considering that clay is his worst surface. Has a decent draw here, let's see if he can reach, at least, QF to get a decent preparation for RG.

·
Registered
215 Posts
S defeats Z. :p

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
So the umpire said something like (in relevant language): "Game, Sousa of Portugal." or "Game, Souza of Brazil." ????

Didn't watch the match, but I want to confirm. :)

·
23,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the umpire said something like (in relevant language): "Game, Sousa of Portugal." or "Game, Souza of Brazil." ????

Didn't watch the match, but I want to confirm. :)
It's something like "Game, Sousa, Portugal" or "Game, Souza, Brazil".

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
We need a Henrique Sousa-Joao Sousa to see what's the umpire's next option.

·
23,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At least ATP acknowledged this tennis mystery:

GENEVA OPEN 2015
NAME GAME: SOUSA VS. SOUZA IN GENEVA
Geneva, Switzerland
by ATP Staff | 18.05.2015

© Getty Images
Joao Souza (left) and Joao Sousa (right) will face each other for the first time in Geneva's first round.

Sixth seed Joao Sousa was drawn to face Joao Souza in the first round of the inaugural Geneva Open.

Same first name, practically the same last name and there is only one letter to separate them… Or is there?

Interest surrounded the match up, the first-time meeting on the ATP World Tour between Portuguese Sousa and Brazilian Souza, both aged 26, and an investigation was made. We weren’t the only ones curious how the umpire would handle calling the score as Sousa posed the question as well.

Despite a slight difference in the pronunciations, the umpire ensured there would be no confusion as he announced the score as either “Sousa Portugal” or “Souza Brazil”. It was “Sousa Portugal” who ultimately prevailed with a 7-5, 6-3 victory on Monday on Court Centrale.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
he says first name :) like venus/serena williams :)

I completely ommited the fact that the mystery was due to both first and last name being similar. Fail post :eek:

Reactions: Nathaliia

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
I don't think they're going to worry about having a rule for two exact same names (first and surname) from the same country:)
I mean what are the odds? Are there even two guys with the same name and surname (and country) on the entire ATP tour?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts