Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thomaz lost the first set TB with a TB, a set he was leading by a break early also. At least he rebounded well and won 2nd and 3rd set convincingly. He faces Tipsarevic or Istomin next.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Bellucci is probably the most underrated choker on tour. Everyone talks about Nico, Verdasco, PHM, Gasquet, etc but this guy is amazing in that aspect as well.

Had 2 SPs at 5-2, but wasted them; served for the set, but was broken to love; Then on TB he commits a DF, comes back and goes up 1 MB, only to DF two more times, one to give Baghdatis the set :lol:

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Bellucci won the most games against Djokovic in Rome.

There aren't many strong clay courters in his section of the draw. I think he can get to the SFs here or better.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I am not sure throwing away the first set against an inferior opponent counts as prime choking. He still won the match comfortably.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
I am not sure throwing away the first set against an inferior opponent counts as prime choking. He still won the match comfortably.
Correct. Bellucci is a choker but he's a tier 2/3 compared to the big names, legends like PHM or Bemelmans.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Bellucci is one of the biggest chokers for sure in the circuit. The difference is that the most of the time he starts choking since the beggining of the match.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Bellucci is one of the biggest chokers for sure in the circuit. The difference is that the most of the time he starts choking since the beggining of the match.
That's being just plain bad.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Bellucci's forehand in first set was MIA. Also 3 DFs in tie break made things harder for him.
Once he found his forehand, his life was immediately easier.

Baggy was spraying UEs like a mad men, barely winning any points on the beginning and early break for Thomaz was reflecting that.
But basically he never was in position to win this match. At least it didn't looked like for me.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Baggy was indeed either spraying erros in the 1st or trying to defend far from the baseline as the match went on. He often lost position just after 1 rally even in his service games.
Bellucci made a meal out an easy match.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Apparently since he got back to his old coach he's working on that. Usually he'd lose 6-1 or 6-2 the following set after blowing up such a big lead. But it may be the case because Baghdatis got a 'name'. He plays better against 'famed' players.

Hopefully he realized he'll probably choke sometime during a match and instead of fighting against it, he learned he gotta overcome that.

I think that's the way a guy like him should approach his mental midget-ness.

Bamos Bellucci!

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
It would have taken some balls to lose 6-1 against this Baghdatis.
Bellucci could play Tipsarevic next, it would be interesting.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Bellucci already won 2 titles in Switzerland (Gstaad)... I think he can go far here.
Gstaad is 1000m above the sea level, which helps his game tremendously since he's a fast court player with the strokes of a typical clay player.

Genebra doesn't have a significant altitude so...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Didn't expect Marcos to get even a set here, not bad.

The clay court season can't end soon enough...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts