Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nishikori (1989) - 1 F (USO 2014), 3 QF (AO 2012, AO-FO 2015).
Raonic (1990) - 1 SF (W 2014), 2 QF (FO 2014, AO 2015).
Janowicz (1990) - 1 SF (W 2013).
Dimitrov (1991) - 1 SF (W 2014), 1 QF (AO 2014).
Tomic (1992) - 1 QF (W 2011).

:worship: :bowdown: :worship:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
93-94 is even worse. Remove 89 and insert 93-94 and you have an entire generation in their peak years who has never been to a slam final.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Even if the big 4 didn't exist these guys would probably have at most one slam between them, so that's not an excuse.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
93-94 is even worse. Remove 89 and insert 93-94 and you have an entire generation in their peak years who has never been to a slam final.
Yes it is 90-94 - the generation useless indeed.

·
Bring it Home
20,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who is from 93-94 who really has star potential? I can only think of Thiem. And I think he deserves at least 1 more year to prove himself. :angel:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Who is from 93-94 who really has star potential? I can only think of Thiem. And I think he deserves at least 1 more year to prove himself. :angel:
It's too late for him too. I'm sorry, but late-blooming Federer won his first slam when he was Thiem's age. Thiem isn't even in the conversation.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
To be honest it's hard to do well in slams when you have the Big 4, Wawrinka, Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych running amok. Every single one of those players is better than these guys. That said, yes, this generation is fairly useless in comparison to ones before them.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I've got a theory about this. When these guys were at an age where they'd start playing tennis, one of the most boring players of all time was dominating, i.e. Sampras. Maybe all the imaginative and talented youngsters were less than inspired and took up golf or other sports instead, and the talent pool dried up.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
I've got a theory about this. When these guys were at an age where they'd start playing tennis, one of the most boring players of all time was dominating, i.e. Sampras. Maybe all the imaginative and talented youngsters were less than inspired and took up golf or other sports instead, and the talent pool dried up.
So, we'll have to wait until the 99-02 generations before we get players who started playing when Roger was at his peak, along with Hewitt, Nalbandian, Davydenko, Coria, Safin, Haas etc? You reckon that generation will be awesome? What about the 03-05 generation who started tennis when the Big 4 started dominating? Even better?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So, you are saying the next best generation is going to be the one inspired by the Big 4?

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
:lol:

Age equivalent results for the 86-88 "generation" for comparison? (I know they are a lot better but can't remember exactly what stage of the career it was for each player). Could even exclude Nadal who had freakishly good results at a young age and so came up a lot earlier than those close to his age. Hell, I'm wondering how these results would compare with the previous generation even if you exclude Nadal, Djokovic, Murray AND Del Potro...

At the very least Nishikori and Raonic's relevant results have been from around the past year and they do look likely to continue...

·
Registered
894 Posts
It's more like the GOATs playing atm are generation killers rather than young guns being useless. They're gonna kill the newcomers like Zverev and Rublyev as well and stop their development. Even if they do end up winning slams it's gonna be later rather than sooner. Their all-time potential will be shredded to pieces though.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
So, you are saying the next best generation is going to be the one inspired by the Big 4?
Most likely. The Big 4 are probably some of the most inspiring group of tennis players to ever play and it's doubtful we'll ever see a group like them again. Even if you don't like their games or hate the players it's the truth to be honest :shrug:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It's more like the GOATs playing atm are generation killers rather than young guns being useless. They're gonna kill the newcomers like Zverev and Rublyev as well and stop their development. Even if they do end up winning slams it's gonna be later rather than sooner. Their all-time potential will be shredded to pieces though.
Well, it is not like the Big 4 are dominating the slams like before. 3 of the last 6 slams have been won by non Big 4 members. (Wawrinka and Cilic), and we still have 2 slams this year.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Ya, why not. Kyrgios was inspired by Federer and Coric by Nadal, and they're already a step up from these idiots. I clearly remember 90s tennis, and I would classify the big 4 era as much more inspiring.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's too late for him too. I'm sorry, but late-blooming Federer won his first slam when he was Thiem's age. Thiem isn't even in the conversation.
Thiem is still better then Kyrgios at least he has a title...

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Thiem is still better then Kyrgios at least he has a title...
Kyrgios is 18 months younger. Let's see where he is after AO 2017. I think he'll already have been a slam finalist or winner. I'm giving him an outside chance of reaching the final here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Kyrgios is 18 months younger. Let's see where he is after AO 2017. I think he'll already have been a finalist or win. I'm giving him an outside chance of reaching the final here.
8 sets against Murray and he came close to winning none. Thiem has managed to push one of the greatest of all time twice. From their matches against Andy I can tell you which one is better.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts