Mens Tennis Forums banner
161 - 180 of 248 Posts

· Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Russians and Chinese athletes grew up under a communist system where many of these sports were financed by the government. Even the young Russians now first grew up under a communist system.
Bullshit. How old were the oldest of them - Kournikova, Dementieva - when USSR stopped to exist? 10 years old. Other girls are younger. It's a well known fact, true story, which now became a part of Kournikova mythology, that Anna's parents had to sell their colour TV to buy Anna her first tennis racket. So much for communist financing.. And where were all those successful Russian before? Believe it or not, the last player, for whom Communist system of sports training did play a significant role in Russia was Kafelnikov.

· Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
As if this thread actually managed to get uglier than it was before I went to bed last night
What is ugly about it now, Becca? We don't call each other names, don't talk shit. Even if we are talking about such delicate subject as race, we keep it civilised. It's nto WTAWorld, after all..;)

· Registered
210 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
I get the feeling that if they were black, posters would say, "yeah, they are great--but look at their race. It gives them an edge."
So their racial background gives them an edge and why is it so bad? Asians are general smaller and good at certain things, and Scandinavians are generally bigger and good at others, so what's wrong with that?

And by what you are saying here, is it my imagination that you are implying that Black ppl are generally poor and can't afford to play some sports. I dare not to agree with you since it sounds more racist than anyone here, I don't want to be doomed guilty just by association.

BTW, don't know why I bother to answer you. :rolleyes:

· Registered
27,997 Posts
What is ugly about it now, Becca? We don't call each other names, don't talk shit. Even if we are talking about such delicate subject as race, we keep it civilised. It's nto WTAWorld, after all..
"Racist Monster" is certaintly name calling. Rather amusing choice too, considering that said poster was actually talking about the superiority of black athletes.

· Registered
210 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Because I fascinate you;)
Well, you do. I constantly got amused by ignorant ppl who always say stupid things at inopportune time. And the fact that you always dodge the issue you have no answer to and come up with idiotic answer to non-issue never cease to amaze me. And on this note, I must leave you reluctantly to join the most boring class in real life :( .

· Registered
8,760 Posts
walee said:
Well, you do. I constantly got amused by ignorant ppl who always say stupid things at inopportune time. And the fact that you always dodge the issue you have no answer to and come up with idiotic answer to non-issue never cease to amaze me. And on this note, I must leave you reluctantly to join the most boring class in real life :( .
LMAO at this answer:D ;)

· Registered
3,587 Posts
Experimentee said:
Theres a lot of stupid things you said in that ridiculously long post but this takes the cake. Venus and Serena dont have contrasting styles and personalities? And they are clones of each other? I can tell you dont watch them much! They look nothing alike, unless you count both being black as a similarity. Serena is more outgoing and expressive and Venus is calm and averts publicity. You can like them or not, its your choice, but dont resort to lies and exaggeration to put them down. Otherwise get over to wtaworld.
But I do agree with what Sjenster was saying--said a few mean things about the sisters, :sad:, but besides that, although I am a fan, I do agree. When Andre and Pete play, they say every fucking time, which cracks me up, "He brings out the best in me." They both always say that about eachother. Their games are polar opposites so it's fascinating to watch them play. Experimentee, Serena and Venus don't look exactly the same nor act exactly the same. But they have the same game, Serena is just usually more mentally there and that's why she wins. I have to admit though, I mean, love 'em both to pieces but, I totally fell asleep for their final and missed it and I don't care so much!!

· Registered
3,587 Posts
Sjengster said:
Fair enough, and I can see the reasons why they're obviously dominating the major tournaments and the Grand Slam finals - as someone told me once, "It's not their fault that they're so much better than everybody else, it's just a pity it doesn't lead to great competition."

My point is, however, do we really want to see men's tennis go down the same route and have a couple of dominating players who can comfortably ease through to Grand Slam finals time and time again?
I actually do want domination. It just gives a higher air of intensity, desire and worth from players who aren't in the dominating position. An upset is emotionally worth more, a title is emotionally worth more--to everybody. And I don't think domination has to be one person. It can be many people, the "dominators of the tour." I think the reason people have not been enjoying the dominators lately because they don't enjoy their style of game that lacks oomph and that's even more boring when it's just a single person dominating. I mean, is this why you all hate the potato?!

But who says it has to be that way? The old balls were a group of dominators. That's why I agree with ys' very first post because the old guys that were so succesful in their hay day had different styles of play, but were still mentally there enough to have the drive to win many tournaments and Slams-consistently, and thus for all the slams the stakes were higher and the best guys, the strongest guys, the most consistent guys were all in the semis and the later rounds and that rocks my world. Well, I'm assuming this because I only started watching tennis in '99. LOL! But today, any average Joe Schmo can reach the semis. I just personally want to see "anticipated match-ups" between top players, with head to head histories of classic great matches and the stadiums packed to the very last seat 'cause that's what sports are all about.

I guess I am watching less tennis these days because it's less exciting for me.

· Registered
27,997 Posts
I think the reason people have not been enjoying the dominators lately because they don't enjoy their style of game that lacks oomph and that's even more boring when it's just a single person dominating. I mean, is this why you all hate the potato?!
I believe that the backlash against Hewitt is based more on his brash behavior on court, and less on his game style.

Furthermore he isn't dominating. He just happens to be consistently good.

· Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Absolutely, Mrs_Guga, same sentiment..

I am just tired of these one-Slam wonders.. What are chances that we will see Shuettler in another final? 5%? 10%? Johansson? Costa? Not much. Nalbandyan? Perhaps too early to say. I mean, even before it often happened that at some big tournament some player, previously unknown, played a tournament of his life and winning it - like Portas or Woodruff or Alex O'Brien. But it would almost never happen at Slams. If someone was making it to a final of GS, it was a virtual guarantee that we'll see that guy in another final one day. But now..

· Registered
3,587 Posts
Rebecca, what brash behavior on court do you speak of?!

· Registered
27,997 Posts
You are questioning me as to wether or not Hewitt is brash at times?

It's a matter of different tastes. Some people find the way in which Hewitt pumps his fists, thumps his chest, yells "come on" in peoples faces, calls him self "Rock", smashing flowers, etc., to be wonderfully annoying and obnoxious. Other people find his behavior to be wonderfully intense. Then other people - like me - really dont' give a lick either way.

· Registered
4,812 Posts
Dissident said:
I also need to point out that the Williams sisters dominance is shit because they are like a "duo package". Buy one get two.

Having two players exchanging places for number one is shit.
Unless you can be a fan of them, and find anything of thrilling on their games.... Which I for one cant.
I definitely agree.

· Registered
4,812 Posts
Rebecca said:
I really do think it's too soon to throw a 21 year old Nalbandian with the plus 26ers, whom you consider "journeymen".
Right.

By the way...why do some people here seem to dislike, or ok, really dislike Nalbandian? Why do you choose him as an example that he's never gonna reach again a semifinals or a final at a Grand Slam? Like Becca said he's just 21. By the way, I don't find him at all petulant.:rolleyes:

· Registered
27,997 Posts
By the way...why do some people here seem to dislike, or ok, really dislike Nalbandian? Why do you choose him as an example that he's never gonna reach again a semifinals or a final at a Grand Slam? Like Becca said he's just 21. By the way, I don't find him at all petulant.
Some people aren't fond of his attitude, which is rather streaky - much like his results ;)

The only thing that bothers me in regards to David is when people actually have the poor taste to say that he's done "NOTHING since Wimbledon".

Nobody in here has said that, but I have corrected a post like that at least half a dozen times. You'd think that people would do a little background checking before saying such bold - and incorrect - statements. lol

· Registered
3,587 Posts
Rebecca said:
You are questioning me as to wether or not Hewitt is brash at times?

It's a matter of different tastes. Some people find the way in which Hewitt pumps his fists, thumps his chest, yells "come on" in peoples faces, calls him self "Rock", smashing flowers, etc., to be wonderfully annoying and obnoxious. Other people find his behavior to be wonderfully intense. Then other people - like me - really dont' give a lick either way.
I'm not questioning you as to whether or not he's brash! I said "What brash behavior do you speak of?" I was just asking for examples. I thought you were going to name the whole Blake incident and maybe some more controversial things. I just wanted some hardcore evidence 'cause I seriously didn't know. LOL! Anyway, it wasn't that serious a request

161 - 180 of 248 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.