Mens Tennis Forums banner
201 - 220 of 248 Posts

· Registered
8,760 Posts
Well, the New Balls have turned things around this year, YS, so I can't complain about their lack of performance as a group anymore. JC *finally* won FO and did well at Wimby; Federer got it together and won Wimby, Scud rebounded from injury to reach the finals, DH made it to the semis, Nadal has started to make a name for himself.

I would like to see more Slam match-ups like we saw at Wimbledon, and no more "journeymen" making Slam finals! Go New Balls! Go!

· Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Well, the New Balls maybe turned it around, but it didn't happen the way it should have happened. They should have kicked the butt of older generation while that generation was still capable of anything. But Sampras left as a winner. Agassi is old as fossils. Kafelnikov is running for parliament.

New Balls failed to conquer the summit. They are just filling the vacuum left after departing superstars of previous generation.

· Registered
245 Posts
hmmmm... if we look at the bright side, could it be that these new balls are having a hard time to shine, is because their having a tough time dominating coz there are a multitude of other great talents which always seem to get in their way

· psychotic banana
15,766 Posts
yes, there's a lot of talent. But there just HAS to be someone to rise the occassion, no? ;)

· Registered
27,997 Posts
New Balls failed to conquer the summit. They are just filling the vacuum left after departing superstars of previous generation.
Here I was thinking that Ferrero reached the top spot by beating the Fossil at the USO... I must have dreamt that. He's just filling hte vacuum, silly me ;)

· Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Re: Re: Generation N?

Queen Rebecca said:
Here I was thinking that Ferrero reached the top spot by beating the Fossil at the USO... I must have dreamt that. He's just filling hte vacuum, silly me ;)
No, you aven't dreamt it. But he should have been beating the Fossil when he hasn't been a fossil yet. Like, at least, at AO-2003. Now he can go and beat Sampras, McEnroy, Lendl and be proud.

· psychotic banana
15,766 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Generation N?

ys said:
No, you aven't dreamt it. But he should have been beating the Fossil when he hasn't been a fossil yet. Like, at least, at AO-2003. Now he can go and beat Sampras, McEnroy, Lendl and be proud.
He's suddenly a fossil within a year?

· Blown Out On the Trail
62,771 Posts
If you want to use the matches played as the divisor for ranking points as so many at WTA World suggest is the true indicator of the true number one :rolleyes:, Agassi would come out on top. At least that's what I think just from eyeballing the results. He's played far fewer tournaments than the three ahead of him.

Anyway, I only say that to point out that Agassi is a tough opponent when he enters a tournament.

· Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·

Tennis Fool said:
So, YS, you're saying

1. the Agassi/Sampras USO final last year shouldn't have happened?
Definitely. Both played substandard tennis, not anywhere close to their best.

2. That because the NBs didn't regularly beat the OBs, they are not as good a group as the OBs?
They failed to force OBs to retire by becoming better than them. OBs are retiring on their own terms, and Agassi is playing Seniors quality tennis and with all that he is still quite competitive with NBs. Get back on Tour Sampras and Agassi of mid-90s now, they would still rule the sport with very little effort.

· psychotic banana
15,766 Posts

star said:
If you want to use the matches played as the divisor for ranking points as so many at WTA World suggest is the true indicator of the true number one :rolleyes:, Agassi would come out on top. At least that's what I think just from eyeballing the results. He's played far fewer tournaments than the three ahead of him.

Anyway, I only say that to point out that Agassi is a tough opponent when he enters a tournament.
Not a pure divisor as to how many tournaments entered...but a standard divisor set at X number of tournaments...let's say 18, for example. It's not the tour's fault if Agassi doesn't play enough tournaments. Same example for the Williams sisters. They're not #1 and #2 most likely because they don't play enough tournamnets (the 17 minimun required/counted)...but that's their fault.

· psychotic banana
15,766 Posts
True. He will take time off as needed to make sure he will play the best he can when he does enter.

· Premium Member
25,407 Posts
ys said:
Doesn't it look like we are having a generation of N(obodies), N(on-greats) these days?

Overhyped new balls do not perform as expected. The only one of them who more or less met expectation is Hewitt, but it looks like he is heading into some crisis as well. Safin can't get back on track. Ferrero looked promising at some Slams , but always finds the right time for a meltdown. Federer's mind and game is elsewhere. Sampras and Agassi play much less impressive tennis than they played 2-3 years ago, yet they won last two Slams. It starts more and more looking like this generation simply doesn't want. Previously, at any given time there were at least 3-4 active players who could be considered one of greats. But with Courier and Boris retired, we are left with two remaining dynosaurs and pretty much nobody after them. It is not their great form that keeps Agassi and Sampras from retiring. It's just that the form of whole tour is degrading quicker than the game of Andre and Pete is degrading with age. After they retire we could easily be looking into one-slam-wonder-fest for few more years.

Who could stop that? I hate to say that, but the only one from contemporary youngs that seems to be able to combine a tennis talent, physical power and mental determination to become a great player could be Roddick.
Here's something to ask yourself: is the depth of men's tennis today (encompassing all the "new balls") more or less the same as during the Sampras-Agassi era?

Personally, I don't think it's fair to compare generations. A different time, a different place, different styles of playing. Sampras-Agassi were not replacements for Conners-McEnroe anymore than Federer-Roddick are replacements for their predecessors. They will create their own history and make their own mark in their own way.

And btw, Agassi didn't start getting his act together until his mid-late 20s. These guys are young and still on a learning curve. When the new balls hit 25, come back and ask the same question. ;)

201 - 220 of 248 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.