Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Well, between the old balls (over 30) and the new balls, we do have active players like Kuerten (26), Moya (26), Johansson (27) and Costa (27) who did manage to win a Slam or 2.

Honestly, I don't think saying Federer, Ferrero and/or Safin consider at the same talent level as Agassi is exageration. They probably don't have the mental toughness and/or confidence that Agassi has right now but Agassi didn't have them too at 22.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Sorry, Johannsen and Costa were considered journeyman on the ATP and not potential stars. Thus ,the disappointment of the Aussie Open officials over last year's tourney.

I agree with your second point.
I never consider Johansson or Costa a nobody or journeyman in tennis. They are good players although they will never be great players. Do you also consider Goran a journeyman since he only win one Wimbly?

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Great post, Diss!

Thank God you are a gentleman with very simple and basic logics, not like the ladies, so people here can understand what you're saying.

Oh! I forget English is my second language (and yours and about half of the posters here), so, probably none of us will understand what you're saying.

Now, my very ladylike sophisticated thinking process concluded that, Diss, you're wasting your time here!

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
AdriRob said:
question everybody....ejjhheemm
wasn't it boring when there was just one or two players always winning everything???
example: Pete and Andre...
example number two, which is a shame by the way: the williams sisters.
I agree that 4 successive GS final between 2 players and you know who will come out winning, that is really boring.

When ppl start talking about Pete and Andre winning everything, I really can't agree. So, I dig up all Slams results from 1987-2002 where both Pete and/or Andre are active players:

AO FO Wimbly USO
1987 Edberg Lendl Cash Lendl
1988 Wilander Wilander Edberg Wilander
1989 Lendl Chang Becker Becker
1990 Lendl Gomez Edberg Sampras
1991 Becker Courier Stich Edberg
1992 Courier Courier Agassi Edberg
1993 Courier Bruguera Sampras Sampras
1994 Sampras Bruguera Sampras Agassi
1995 Agassi Muster Sampras Sampras
1996 Becker Kafelnikov Krajicek Sampras
1997 Sampras Kuerten Sampras Rafter
1998 Korda Moya Sampras Rafter
1999 Kafelnikov Agassi Sampras Agassi
2000 Agassi Kuerten Sampras Safin
2001 Agassi Kuerten Ivanisevic Hewitt
2002 Johansson Costa Hewitt Sampras

So, of the 64 Slam titles, Pete and Andre combine for a total of 21 and not a single year that Peta and Andre win all the Slams. Even you take away 1987-1989 where none of them winning Slams, their combine winning percentage is still under 50%, around 40%.

As you can see, there are other players able to win a Slam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.