Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Honestly, I don't want the times when one player dominated the field back. And if that happens to be Roddick, as you suggested, I will officially stop watching tennis, but as of yet, I'm not shaking in fear.

But lack of domination does not mean that the form of the whole tour is degrading fast. Quite the opposite. Sure, the really great players don't come by very often, but does that make tennis in between unwatchable? But I will not go into another depth debate, because I've stated my views a zillion times before.

I will say this again though, because I never get tired of saying it. Calling the players who are on the tour now nobodies is extremely disrespectful. And calling them nobodies in the first years of their career, before they've even had a chance to prove themselves, is even worse. It's short-sighted to say the least.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Re: Re: Generation N?

Tennis Fool said:
Y S, I COMPLETE AGREE with you, but as you will soon realize, our opinions of the failure of NBs is a minority on this board.

It's also funny to me that posters who say, "What are you talking about? Johannsens and Costas of the world, the journeymen of the ATP, they ARE GREAT for tennis" are the same ones with pictures of FERRERO, Safin, Roger, Haas in their messages. Hmmmm....
Oh what a clever retort!

Let me correct you on several counts.

First, most of those who would state that probably wouldn't use the term journeymen, such a term of endearment as it is.

Second of all, are you aware that until recently, there were only 8 avatars? Hmmmm... But feel free to assume anything you like from them. My avatar doesn't even feature a tennis player anymore. Oh my. Of course I do realize this was a stab at Rebecca. ;)

And most importantly, you have no idea who my faves are. Yes, Ferrero is my main fave, but I have a whole list of faves, players I care about, and it includes quite a few players you might call "journeymen", including Johansson as it were.

Which leaves me with the following question: What does someone who agrees with you in your role as a prophet of doom have as his or her avatar? Jaden?

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
y_s said:
I repeat the n-th time in this thread. I am not discussing whether generation is crap or not. I am discussing a possibility, which now looks like a clear probability for anyone capable of thinking, that this generation ( unlike any previous generations ) might end up producing no all-time greats. And I am talking about what is a differential between these guys and those who played the game, 10-20-30 years ago. But instead, you are just repeatedly picking on something I never said to be a certainty.
You can repeat that until the cows come home, but when you say things like

Doesn't it look like we are having a generation of N(obodies), N(on-greats) these days?

Overhyped new balls do not perform as expected.

It's just that the form of whole tour is degrading quicker than the game of Andre and Pete is degrading with age.
you are contradicting yourself, because that is exactly what you are discussing.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
y_s said:
I am sorry, English is my second language and is not good enough to understand what you mean.. Could you please elaborate?
Hahahahahaha and more ha.

There is no better (or indeed other) way to elaborate than by a good, healthy :rolleyes:

I assume this conversation is over.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Rebecca said:
Layla - English actually is his second language.
Yes, I know. It's my second language too, as he would have seen from my Slovene flag. If he uses words like elaborate, than he sure as hell knows what it means to contradict oneself, especially since I actually added a (unnecessary) tag by saying it was exactly what he was discussing. So my point was perfectly clear.

That was sheer sarcasm Becca, as was my response.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Experimentee said:
Theres a lot of stupid things you said in that ridiculously long post but this takes the cake. Venus and Serena dont have contrasting styles and personalities? And they are clones of each other? I can tell you dont watch them much! They look nothing alike, unless you count both being black as a similarity. Serena is more outgoing and expressive and Venus is calm and averts publicity. You can like them or not, its your choice, but dont resort to lies and exaggeration to put them down. Otherwise get over to wtaworld.
LMAO @ calling one of the most intelligent posters on this board stupid. And the mud fest just doesn't stop...

Serena and Venus may have very different personalities off-court, but on-court they are very, very similar. I suspect Sjengster doesn't care about their off-court personas anyway. And I agree, the rivalry is non-existent. It took them several slam finals to become even remotely comfortable with playing against each other, and that's just not exiting to me. At the moment, there's not even a question as to who will win their matches, and you can't really call that rivalry.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Sjengster, don't worry about it. I know you wanted to argue your point, but you're talking to a brick wall, and everything you say will just bounce back one way or another.

Tennis Fool, I sincerely suggest you return to the WTAworld, were you can argue about this all day, every day of the year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.