Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
You are assuming of course, that none of Federer, Ferrero, Safin, Haas etc, will ever get it together? All who average about age 22?

I seem to recall a certain Andre Agassi had people wondering wether or not he'd ever fulfill his promise when he was younger, and lose his first three slam finals...

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
That was hardly my point. Although I don't think that considering Safin in the same league of talent would be that much of a stetch, that's a totally different topic.

My point was merely that you are looking at a group of guys who are young, and seem to be saying that none of them have 2 or 3 slams in them - yet Roddick has tons of them? :confused:

I find that comment a little strange.

I was merely making note of the fact that people mature at different times - much like how Andre showed so much talent young, then took a few years to develop it (then fell of the wagon again, but that's irrelevant for my point).

Rafter, for example, didn't win his first slam until he was 24.

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
Looking at guys averaged 22 and calling them "Generation N" is folly at the present time.

In ten years time, who knows what we will be saying?

So much can happen in one year, let alone ten (right Lleyton?), that jumping to such a broad conclusion like this is not reasonable.

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
Well ys, you are entitled to your opinion.

I can't see Roddick dominating the tour anymore than I can see Ferrero doing it - and for the record, I can't see Ferrero doing it. But I have seen no indication from Roddick that he is all of a sudden going to start winning 2 or 3 slams a year, for several years in a row. I HAVE seen that from Hewitt, obviously. But Roddick? He makes on slam semifinal and he's all of a sudden the shit? You've been watching too much American TV.

The next "dominant" player may quite possibley be a younger player who we haven't been considering yet.

Regardless- it appears that you didnt' want a discussion at all, and you merely wanted to voice an opinion that cant' be backed up with facts.

Which is fine and dandy - it just would have been nice if you made that a littl clearer.

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
It's also funny to me that posters who say, "What are you talking about? Johannsens and Costas of the world, the journeymen of the ATP, they ARE GREAT for tennis" are the same ones with pictures of FERRERO, Safin, Roger, Haas in their messages. Hmmmm....
Aren't you a fan of Roddick, Mr Objectivity?

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
I have a question for YS and Tennisfool -

If todays generation is such apparent crap, what are you watching for, when you could dip over to the WTA where you will be blessed with all time greats and potential greats?

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
Federer's fall was disgusting?

He lost to a (now) top ten player, that he is yet to beat.

Granted his form was lower than in previous rounds, but it's not as if he lost to some qualifer who had never been in a main draw before.

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
Are we literally counting new balls, or will any young player do?

Ferrero has played Guga (X2), Safin (X2), Mark P, and Hewitt in slams.

He's also faced young players like Robredo, Ancic, etc etc.

I'm not about to compile a list of ALL players mind you ;)

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
I think that the flaw is not in what the guys are doing, but in your expectations.

You are looking at a group of guys who are 22 and assuming that they are doomed failures or something, because it apears unlikely that they are about to challenge Pete's total slam count :rolleyes:

You are acting all dissapointed because there don't appear even be that many Becker's, or Edbergs on the horizon.

God forbid that tennis not be exactly the same as it was for the past 30 years......

For the mentally challenged: there is no need to take this literally, it was merely an elaboration

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
Rafter didn't win his first slam untill he was 24, and he seems to have done okay for himself.

Are you trying to tell me that if Ferrero doesn't win Roland Garros this year that he'll never win it? lol

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
And you know, it's easy to pick on Ferrero and his "failure" to win Roland Garros - an event that he's only played THREE times.

There is also an easy answer to why he hasn't won it - Guga.

Yes, Guga was injured last year and Ferrero didn't have to play him. However, Guga's absense cast Ferrero into the role as "favourite", despite his poor performance in *most* of the warmup tournaments.

Furthermore, on the way to two of his three titles, guga beat Ferrero in the semifinals.

Anyhow - I just don't think it's fair to shit on him for not winning something, when in order to do so he had to get past the best clay court player since... well Muster I guess.

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
You sincerely believe Ferrero, et al will eventually win a Slam, no matter what their age?
Where have I said that I believe that Ferrero, Federer, Safin, et al will win slams, no matter what their age? If I've said this, I've love a quote, because I don't seem to recall saying it.

In fact, I have actually said many times that I'm not certain that Ferrero imparticular, ever win. So please, avoid putting words in my mouth :)

My point, which I thought was very clear, was that you people are crapping with dissapointment over guys who are 21, 22, 23 years old, wondering where their 4 slams are or whatever.

You seem to talk as if none of them are going to do anything - and perhaps they won't, I certaintly can't provide evidence of what will happen over the next 12 grand slams.

However, I fail to see what they have done to deserve the negative attitudes and be refered to as "generation N". If you guys are longing for the days of dominant male players, then rewind a few years and Sampras will give you all you can get...

As for Rafter, I brought him up because YS commented on the fact that not many males win slams after age 22 - I think that was the age he used. Anyhow - I was quite clearly responding to YS and not TBE, in which TBE's under 26 factor was totally irrelevant to my point.

Or do you not really care who wins, just long as its a different player, as is the consensus?
I've never said that I want a different player to win every slam. I have absolutely no idea where you could have came up with this idea.

I merely am happy with whatever is given to me. I like watching tennis. No amount of me pissing and moaning about the "good old days", is going to change a single thing. I realize this, and prefer to focus on what is good about the tour.

As for me caring who wins - of course I care who wins some slams. Frankly I couldn't give a crock pot about who wins Wimbledon most of the time, but I have my favourites just like everybody else.

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
SO your newballs scorecard was based on the Australian Open AND the past couple years?

Surely that explains Guga, Ferrero and Blake all getting the same grade, and being graded lower than Youhzny (ofcourse I assume Mikhail got the nod for his Davis Cup heroics. Lest we forget a certain DC final 2000 deciding rubber match between another set of 19-20 year olds...)

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
The sisters do not have a rivalry.

Rivals do not beat other rivals 5 times in a row.

Kim and Serena have a better rivalry than Venus and Serena, which doesn't say much.

How's this for going off topic?

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
D*mn Becca!

Can't you just answer a d*mn question???
I did answer your questions. Which part didn't you like?

I also messed up thinking that ys had said 22, with something that somebody else had said, that was still totally unrealted to what TBE said. Regardless, my bad

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
both these guys beat them with regularity, and are still on top...and are old.

At this stage in their careers, which players from the previous generation beat up on Andre and Pete? I rest my case.
Head to Heads:

Agassi vs:
Hewitt 3-4
Ferrero 1-2
Grosjean 3-2

Pete vs:
Hewitt 4-5
Safin 3-4
Roddick 1-2
Federer 0-1
Haas 5-3 (4 of Petes victories came in 1998 and before)

None of the young guys can beat them regularly?

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
You people are a bunch of lying hypocrites.

Before the Williamses started dominated Women's tennis, it was a consensus that rivalries makes tennis exciting, but since the WTA has produced a rivalry of two people you guys don't like, all of a sudden, " two people dominating is boring for tennis."
2 people dominating would be somewhat exciting, if they produced matches that were worthy of a rivalry.

Speaking of lying, I hope that you check out the stats that I posted before this ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.