Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
So we should all be compared by the dotcom standard now (get rich fast and young or else you'll be considered a failure)? So by 22 or 23, if you didn't win a slam or multiple slams, you are pretty much doomed and what's the point of carrying on as we see no future in you :rolleyes:. If you see it that way, sure, tennis this generation really sucks and why watch anymore?

Chang won his first slam at 17, ppl started expecting Pete and Andre to do the same and were they not all disappointed that they didn't win a slam at their teens? When they all turn 20, I wonder if ppl say, geez, what the hell happened to those 2 :rolleyes:. And looked at the ladies, like Graf, Seles and Hingis had success at 16 and ppl were laughing at Richard Williams when his daughters didn't make much mark until they are about 19. Now, see who's laughting. I'm glad that I didn't come out to say stupid things and write them off the bet before the Williams made it big.

But I must ask, what's the logic about Roddick? So he did well in AO and have a brilliant match. Did we not see Federer overcame his own nerve and dethroned King Pete on his own backyard back in Wimby 01? Did we not see Safin whose the "nutcase" and almost quitted tennis but the same year beat the still-in-form Sampras in Toronto and USO in 2000? And I recalled that Ferrero was a set down and managed to win the next 2 sets in Rome to win his first ever TMS title against the then claycourt-King Guga in 2001. Besides his epic battle with El Aynaoui in AO, I can't think of any Roddick match which is so remarkable to make you think he is any different from the rest.

Whether Roddick is going to dominate is yet to see and I won't say that he will or won't. But my point is, anyone of these players have their moment when they were able to put things together and win a brilliant match. I don't see why you think Roddick is any better or worse than any of them. I also remembered his meltdown against Sampras in USO, against Rusedski in Wimby and against Arthurs in RG. I won't run to the front and declared that he is not meant to be then. Sure I criticized his past slam performances, but I know it didn't mean that he's no good ever. But just based on AO this year, I won't run to the front to declare he's gonna be the best ever either. So humor me by sharing with us your logic maybe?

I don't see how these New Balls are overhyped. Sure, at 2000, for the sake of the new ATP campaign, they were handpicked as the best among the new generation. And so they are as all of them are Top 10 now. But did someone promise you that one of them will dominate the tennis world? Should they?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Notice that all of the people mentioned in your answer were already tagged as potential stars before they began to win slams?

What's disconcerting is that journeymen are sneaking through as well as two people named Sampras and Agassi. No one else.

It's like if Tathiana Garbin, Barbara Rittner, and Herietta Nagyova won or reached the finals of the last 5 Slams on the women's side, along with Steffi Graf (if she was still playing) and Aranxta-Sanchez Vicario, while the young stars (Williams sisters, Lindsay, Amelie, Hingis, the Belgians) couldn't get it together.
Notice that your answer to my post is pretty long, should I feel honored:p ? But what's your point here? So they are potential stars and did I deny that :confused: ? My saying is, give them time to prove themselves or you're just so impatient that you think we should label them as journeyman NOW :confused: ? The depth of ATP is different from the depth of WTA, do you not know?

At least y_s is trying to make a point here. Maybe you should just stick to your one-line respond is better, long or short, they are equally non-sense.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
If you bothered to read the thread, you'll notice that I said I agreed with Y_S.

And as a short (since you seem to get angry over long ones) answer, McEnroe was through winning Slams by the age of 25.
I don't think being young is necessarily an excuse for sucking at Slams.
Of course I read the thread, you think I bother to only read your posts :rolleyes: lol . I don't get angry at long ones, I got annoyed by non-sense ones long or short, just so happened that they are produced by you in this thread. I also did not say that give them excuses for being young, I say not to write them off the bet just bcos they still have time. Is my words too complicated for you to understand? So Agassi didn't win his first until he's 22 and won more slams after he turned 29. So should we use McEnroe as the standard or Agassi?

·
Registered
210 Posts
This doesn't concern me. But Sjengster, I wish you and everyone else can start ignoring certain individual poster who obviously comes here to pick a mud fight. It's not worth your time to entertain him.

As for the Williams sister, some ppl think if you didn't praise them in your sentences, you must be a racist. This kind of ignorant, you and I can't help correct.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
I get the feeling that if they were black, posters would say, "yeah, they are great--but look at their race. It gives them an edge."
So their racial background gives them an edge and why is it so bad? Asians are general smaller and good at certain things, and Scandinavians are generally bigger and good at others, so what's wrong with that?

And by what you are saying here, is it my imagination that you are implying that Black ppl are generally poor and can't afford to play some sports. I dare not to agree with you since it sounds more racist than anyone here, I don't want to be doomed guilty just by association.

BTW, don't know why I bother to answer you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Because I fascinate you;)
Well, you do. I constantly got amused by ignorant ppl who always say stupid things at inopportune time. And the fact that you always dodge the issue you have no answer to and come up with idiotic answer to non-issue never cease to amaze me. And on this note, I must leave you reluctantly to join the most boring class in real life :( .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.