Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the most talented teenager right now?

• Coric

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Zverev

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Kokkinakis

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Rublev

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Nishioka

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Ymer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tiafoe

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Donaldson

• Chung

• Aliassime

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Other?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you think about making some general thread where we will talk about youngsters? Firstly, I think it would be nice to find some big topic one day and read what people thought about someone who finally succeed, and secondly - there are many threads about them where it's hard to make some general opinion about these kids because they are too fragmentary and based on talks about one or two youngsters. We can talk whether Coric is better than Rublev here, I think. I'd start with teenagers, but let talk about every promising young player if you want

Borna Coric (Croatia) - #36 in ATP Ranking

Former US Open Junior champion, Basel and Dubai semifinalist and one of the youngest ever who cracked top100 in this millenium.

His forehand is just very average at his best. And he doesn't have one shot which may be one day the best in ATP - backhand is very good, but not on Zverev's level, return of the serve is good, but overrated. His ranking maybe is overrating him, but there's no coincidence that he was third the youngest player in XXI century who reached top100 and one and only after Gasquet and Nadal who did it before his 18th birthday. That clearly shows he has some amazing regularity in his game and what we see now - this can be fundamental of future greatness.

But I just don't see this enthusiastic comments (considering Coric as the future dominant force in ATP) about him. He clearly doesn't have as brilliant groundstrokes as Djokovic has, and his ball control from the baseline isn't on Murray's level. He isn't strong physically in terms of generated power either and it won't change that much - 20yo Djokovic was able to play aggressive baseline game against peak Federer in Masters final and I think it's hard to imagine Coric doing same one and half year from now. Comparisons to Hewitt are nice, I think - but young Hewitt was an ideal player when we're talking about mindset, personality, mentality, and there are not too many players in history of tennis like Rusty.

My point is that Coric will be top3 player one day and in weaker era probably able to win GS/some Grand Slams one day. But I think his strokes' technique or physicality don't make his upside look great and his upside isn't as big as some guys mentioned below. Let me be clear - I don't understand this bullshit about him over there, people just tend to overreact about some comments or behaviour, I've got nothing against him and because of the generation gap in ATP right now, I'm supporting him to succeed because it's neccessary to male tour.

General opinion about him to this moment? Top3 potential and zero bust alert because of his stabilize game and ability to make his fitness better and better.

Hyeon Chung (South Corea) - #75

Former Junior Wimbledon finalist and multiple time winner on ATP Challenger Tour level.

He's weird example of a player who make great ranking but is not in MTF mainstream. Even if we're talking about Asia, is very impressive to win four challenger titles one month after 19th birthday and making top70, because recently we didn't see many teenagers as good in terms of ranking as Chung is. Asians are in very comfortable position in transition to professional tennis with many tournaments in their countries where they can get wild card and find some nice draw over there, but that isn't diminish what Chung did in past year. But what about his game?

I don't like his groundstrokes and type of play, but it's good sign for his future to be as regular teen as he's right now. He doesn't have great wins in his short career, but he's not that far from being regular ATP player. And it's great. He need to work on his forehand, but court level, great passingshots, nice backhand and regularity are going to make him top20 player with potential to be better some day. His versatility on hard and clay should be fine in his prime because, even if it's american clay - his challenger title in Savannah was convincing and his baseline game predispose him to gain points to ATP ranking week by week. He doesn't possess one above good level weapon and he's not GS winner material, but ~top15 with some weeks in top 10 seems likely to me. Is it brave prediction? I don't think this way. There are not too many teenagers with that high ranking like Chung and look on ATP situation - age average is very high and 3-4 years from now someone need to make high ranking places. Suggesting that second-best classified teenager may be one of these players isn't bold statement.

Thanasi Kokkinakis (Australia) - #76

Former Junior Australian Open and Junior US Open finalist and winner of a title on ATP Challenger Tour.

I think his potential is to be regular top 10 player with some top5 moments ahead of him.

Why?

He has some unquestionable assets in his game - his serve is good, his size is above average and his forehand is very good. On the other hand, his backhand is average, his volleys need some work, his court level isn't that good and performances on grass to this moment are rather disappointing. He's nice shotmaker with pleasant game, but he doesn't possess strenghts which can be on of the best on ATP level. He's stable, young gun who may succeed on ATP level and everybody would be happy to see fine shotmaker in this territory, but I just don't see there potential to achieve something more than being part of top10 season by season.

He has good mentality (Rosol or Gulbis game), so his number of titles at the end of his career may look really, really nice. As Chung and Coric - he isn't bust material (if Thanasi stays healthy, of course).

Alexander Zverev (Germany) - #86

Former Junior Australian Open winner, Gstaad and Hamburg semifinalist.

I think his upside is the biggest compared to other players from 96' and youngers generation - he has great size, very good technique (his backhand is really amazing) and ability to play long rally. He's someone between Gulbis and Del Potro and what is the most important - he's making progression in his tennis level regularly - his forehand is better and better, and he's using his volley and slice more and more. He has the best versatility in comparison to other teenagers - Kokkinakis and Coric were awful on grass this year, but Zverev got some nice wins and first MD GS win, he made some impressive wins on hard and his best surface seems to be clay.

But on the other hand - he's not stable mentally at all. We can ignore awful behaviour, but what he showed in first months of the year was just poor and lacks of regularity in his mindset is something what makes him bust material in my opinion. If I think about very talented player who may turn into some Monfils/Fognini/Verdasco crap, is someone like Zverev. He may be the next great number one in tennis because he has potential to do that, but it won't be too suprising to me if he won't reach top5 in his career. And another thing - he's very tall and it's not good sign for a player when we are talking about injuries. Maybe I'm a little bit too harsh about him, but I just see some question marks around Sascha. I'd say something like that about Kyrgios also, but I'm very optimistic about both of them.

Number one potential and some bust alert over there.

Yoshihito Nishioka (Japan) - #134

Shanghai Challenger winner

I like him so much - his game is smooth, his technique is above average, but it's hard to predict him anything because of his height. He may turn into Goffin-like player with some very regular game and few ATP titles, he may not reach top50.

Elias Ymer (Sweden) - #137

Best Swedish player right now

I hope he will make top100 to the end of the year. His forehand, athleticism and height are fine, his regularity is good but his backhand is too weak to be something more than top15 player some day. He will be good in winning some small clay tournaments regularly. I don't like his game, but his regularity is sign of better for tennis in Sweden. I think his brother, Mikel is more talented.

Jared Donaldson (USA) - #153

Highest-ranked American teenager and Maui Challenger winner

He has good size and groundstrokes from both sides, but his technique need some work. One of these players who are not that much interesting to tennis fans, but are making regular progression and accomplish very good ATP career. He won't be next great American player, but top15 potential with his shotmaking seems available to him in next few years.

Andrey Rublyov (Russia) - #195

Junior French Open winner and the youngest 17 yo player since Nadal who won matches in four tournaments on ATP Tour in this age

I don't like him in person, but everyone will admit he's the most talented youngster in Russia. Kafelnikov said this about him - but he also admit that he needs to work on his physicality as quickly as it's possible. I think it's right analyse - his ranking isn't as impressive as it should be, but with better physicality Rublyov would make some run in Geneva or Stambul right now.

About his game, like I said in different topic - it's amazing how 140lbs 17yo is able to dictate terms on a court with his powerful groundstrokes in competition with solid players like Andujar or Verdasco. His forehand is the best one shot from any of these youngsters, his backhand is very nice and his serve may turn into some force - Rublyov's game is the most complete one when we are talking about technical abilities.

I don't like his attitude, but I think it's not some choking behaviour like Dolgopolov or Bellucci, but Safin or Kyrgios "I'm a fucking badass" attitude. So it's not nice, but not as bad as it could be. But because of that I'm giving him some bust potential, but he clearly has technical abilities to be dominant force in tennis. About his future, I don't like his physicality, he doesn't have frame and he is so light that I'm afraid he may be some injury prone pro. But clearly I like his potential.

Frances Tiafoe (USA) - #272

The youngest Orange Bowl winner in history and best American 17 yo right now

This guy is some mystery to me. He has size, suprisingly good touch, he's clutch, he has some versatility - but his groundstrokes are awful in technical way, his serve is ... I can't describe it, his mentality is unstable. But his results with Challenger Final, junior results and GS MD is something impressive IMHO.

That's all in combination seems for me to be explosive mix with some Monfils upside here. He may be very dangerous player on hard and clay, but I think there are too many "ifs" about Frances.

About other players like Paul, Fritz, Opelka, Khachanov, Jarry, Lee or Jasika and Kozlov - I think they may turn into some nice players on ATP level and for example one of them is going to suprise me in next few months, but right now it's hard to judge them when they are not regular in reaching good results on ATP Tour or at least ATP Challenger Tour. I don't talk about junior accoplishments more, because they are irrelevant.

PS

I forgot about someone.

One to watch:

Felix Auger Aliassime - the biggest talent mentioned in this thread.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,921 Posts
You named it. See my signature. Definitely see top 10 for Zverev, Coric and perhaps Kokkinakis. Rublev will work on physical shape but got some nice weapons.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Watch out for the young Americans -- there are at least a half-dozen of them with top 50 potential -- over the next 2 years.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Why isn't Kyrgios listed here? He's only 20. In my opinion, he and Kokkinakis are the most talented will make the most noise in the future.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subliminal - because he's almost three years older than Tiafoe mentioned on my list and everybody knows right now what Kyrgios can do. I don't see any fun there to make a statement that he's material to win GS when he's right now at least dark horse in every GS not named French Open... :)

Let's make some controversial point to make hype for this topic.

Question to Coric fans - Borna is considered as best teenager with good attitude to the game. But why he is losing these matches in that suprisingly easy way?

Wawrinka 16 46
Carreno 36 46
Chardy 63 46 57 46
Stakhovsky 26 46
Simon 26 63 36
Federer 16 26
Troicki 64 61 36 26 16
Tomic 36 46
Goffin 06 46
Dolgopolov 57 75 26
GGL 36 67
Lajovic 16 46
Mayer 36 46
Sock 26 16 46
Troicki 06 26
Berdych 26 36
Seppi 64 46 76 16 16
RBA 36 36
RBA 36 46
Tsonga 46 46

Yes, he has nice five sets wins over Robredo and Stakhovsky, but it makes my concern that most defeat seems to be (judging by scoreline) easy matches for his opponents. And we're not talking about Berdych and Federer only. Over 70% of Coric defeats are in straight sets. That is bad IMHO no matter why it looks this way.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Why do you think Tiafoe will be like Monfils? Does he showboat? Does he have fantastic wheels?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Quinzi not even on the lists anylonger :awww: Wha about Corentin Moutet :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do you think Tiafoe will be like Monfils? Does he showboat? Does he have fantastic wheels?
BECAUSE HE'S BLACK?

Seriously, Tiafoe has tremendous physical potential, some serious weapons in his games, very high upside, he's showman, people are enjoy watching him on a court, he isn't stable emotionally (right now?) - yeah, he may develop into different player, he's 17, many things can change with him, but right now there are some similarities with Gael... Ofc Monfils is very unique player, but when I'm watching Frances, he reminds me these Gael's abilities to make serious tennis being very funny game and I think crowd thinks the same way about him.

G-Force - Moutet is fine, but right now it's hard to talk about Corentin and make this hype about him bigger and bigger when he didn't even win single futures title. Press in France said some months ago he's going to be no. 1 in French tennis in 2020 and I think this is big expectation for 16 yo talented lefty. I saw his game with Haase (?) and he looked kind of pusher there, I was expecting more from him even as for 16yo.

Quinzi's stagnation is awful.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Subliminal - because he's almost three years older than Tiafoe mentioned on my list and everybody knows right now what Kyrgios can do. I don't see any fun there to make a statement that he's material to win GS when he's right now at least dark horse in every GS not named French Open... :)

Let's make some controversial point to make hype for this topic.

Question to Coric fans - Borna is considered as best teenager with good attitude to the game. But why he is losing these matches in that suprisingly easy way?

Wawrinka 16 46
Carreno 36 46
Chardy 63 46 57 46
Stakhovsky 26 46
Simon 26 63 36
Federer 16 26
Troicki 64 61 36 26 16
Tomic 36 46
Goffin 06 46
Dolgopolov 57 75 26
GGL 36 67
Lajovic 16 46
Mayer 36 46
Sock 26 16 46
Troicki 06 26
Berdych 26 36
Seppi 64 46 76 16 16
RBA 36 36
RBA 36 46
Tsonga 46 46

Yes, he has nice five sets wins over Robredo and Stakhovsky, but it makes my concern that most defeat seems to be (judging by scoreline) easy matches for his opponents. And we're not talking about Berdych and Federer only. Over 70% of Coric defeats are in straight sets. That is bad IMHO no matter why it looks this way.
Because if he wasn't losing matches, he'd be nr.1 not nr.36 as he currently is. Most of those players are better ranked/were better ranked at the time.

In the last couple of months Rublev lost to; Zeballos, Giannesi, Kavcic, Albot, Millman, Dodig, Fabbianno, Cecchinato...

Zverev lost to Ginepri, Brands, Sijsling, Kudla, Mathieu, Bagnis, Russell, Zopp, Ilhan...

all of which are much weaker players than those who are listed against Coric.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Why isn't Kyrgios listed here? He's only 20. In my opinion, he and Kokkinakis are the most talented will make the most noise in the future.
Nole and Rafa were winning masters and managed to win majors in their 20s ;).

Anyways, this is a good thread. I'll try to add some names later, watching Montreal right now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because if he wasn't losing matches, he'd be nr.1 not nr.36 as he currently is. Most of those players are better ranked/were better ranked at the time.

In the last couple of months Rublev lost to; Zeballos, Giannesi, Kavcic, Albot, Millman, Dodig, Fabbianno, Cecchinato...

Zverev lost to Ginepri, Brands, Sijsling, Kudla, Mathieu, Bagnis, Russell, Zopp, Ilhan...

all of which are much weaker players than those who are listed against Coric.
It's not about him being defeated, but being defeated in this way. I'm just wondering because it's rather rare to super talented player as Coric losing these matches without any fight. I'm not saying he isn't fighter or something like that, but maybe there is no coincidence that he's 50. in race ranking when he started this season inside top100? His ranking is great right now, but at the end of a season he may have similar ranking to Kokkinakis, Zverev or Chung and I think that would be disappointing for his supporters, when we take into an account that he started this season 60 places higher then Thanasi Kokkinakis, right? Without Dubai points (he lost there with Fabrice Martin) he would be behind Kokkinakis in race right now...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Great thread. Perhaps moderators could add other threads about youngsters' potential here to keep them in one place?

·
Registered
723 Posts
BECAUSE HE'S BLACK?

Seriously, Tiafoe has tremendous physical potential, some serious weapons in his games, very high upside, he's showman, people are enjoy watching him on a court, he isn't stable emotionally (right now?) - yeah, he may develop into different player, he's 17, many things can change with him, but right now there are some similarities with Gael... Ofc Monfils is very unique player, but when I'm watching Frances, he reminds me these Gael's abilities to make serious tennis being very funny game and I think crowd thinks the same way about him.

G-Force - Moutet is fine, but right now it's hard to talk about Corentin and make this hype about him bigger and bigger when he didn't even win single futures title. Press in France said some months ago he's going to be no. 1 in French tennis in 2020 and I think this is big expectation for 16 yo talented lefty. I saw his game with Haase (?) and he looked kind of pusher there, I was expecting more from him even as for 16yo.

Quinzi's stagnation is awful.
Thanks. I would definitely like to know more about Rayane Roumane. He is born 2000 and already with Futures SF beating Yann Marti in the process.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The Ymer brothers.....The best brothers in tennis.:wavey:

Mikael could be the more talented one but I'd like to see both of them make it big and become top players in the future. They have potentional so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
672 Posts
At the moment, I'd say it's a toss-up between Zverev (who may become injury prone due to his height and type of game, ala del Potro and Cilic) and Rublev/Rublyov.

·
Registered
723 Posts
We should not forget Roman Safiullin. Injured now i think but last year he obliterated whole futures circuit,

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Safiullin played last time in February in Burnie, so it's hard to talk about him.

Mikel Ymer has nice game with very good BH, and some pro wins right now so he's worth some attention in my opinion.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Safiullin played last time in February in Burnie, so it's hard to talk about him.

Mikel Ymer has nice game with very good BH, and some pro wins right now so he's worth some attention in my opinion.
True that. For me younger brother have better future. Anyway why didnt you put Kyle Edmund in the list ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts