Mens Tennis Forums banner

421 - 440 of 3785 Posts

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
Re: Gaston News & Articles

I misunderstood when I first heard it, he thanked Hewitt for "letting him be in semis" and not David. Then he said that before the final he asked McEnroe if he suffered so much in the finals like he was doing it now, and he told Gastón: "People that go to the war suffer, you have to enjoy it" and those words did him well.
And his "worst" match, or the one that he played the worst was against Andreev.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts

LOL! And that once the match was over he wanted to literally kiss and hug everyone in there, even Guillermo! LOL!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts

That Clarín article was great! Thanks for posting it! :D :hug:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=11951&bannerregion=

Federer, Gaudio Ride The Dunes In Doha

By Brad Falkner
01/02/2005

Roger Federer and Gaston Gaudio got dusted today. The two men who teamed to sweep the four Grand Slam titles last year, started the new year with new titles.

The top-ranked Federer and 10th-ranked Gaudio became honorary sheiks for the day — or more precisely, about 20 minutes during today’s promotional appearance in Doha for this week’s Qatar ExxonMobil Open.

Members of the media shook off jet lag and tagged along with the pair. Federer traded his classic Nike headband and Gaudio replaced his customary baseball cap for similar white kaffiyehs, the cloth headdress worn by Arab men.

The reigning Roland Garros champion and the men who collected the Australian Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open crowns took us on a trip to a place called "The In-Land Sea", which is about a 45-minute car ride from the Doha tournament site. Imagine the desert embracing the beautiful aqua-blue water and the sea spilling onto the sand and you get an idea for how captivating the Qatari coastline appears.

It looked like an Oasis, but might well have been called "Club Fed" as Federer was having a blast riding around in the sand on a 4 x 4 like a college kid enjoying his first day of spring break.

Before the two Grand Slam champions, clad completely in white, posed together for photos, the pair were hot-rodding up and down the desert dunes on the 4 x 4 like a couple of X-game all stars.

Federer, who is known for leaving opponents in the dust on court, And Gaudio, who feels most at home on the dirt, were spraying sand everywhere as they fish-tailed down the dunes. Gaudio even caught some air — soaring higher even then his victory leap at Roland Garros. After their joy-riding they got regal and donned their thobes (the white outfits) and spent time posing in a tent and on the dunes. Federer even delivered few serves into the desert dunes. It was a mellow late-morning trip with everyone — players, media and staff — in good spirits. The weather, which had been cold here the last week, was a spectacular 24 Celsius. Gauido was accompanied by his brother and Roger was with his girlfriend, Mirka. I got to ride out to the site with the Gaudio brothers and we rapped for a bit in Spanish. The soft-spoken Gaudio was polite and looking forward to seeing the sights.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Hi all!
Here is my translation of the letter to Gastón from the Argentine Football Association posted today. I´d never seen it before. It´s really nice and genuine-sounding, nothing like the stilted, formal notes one expects from public bodies. BTW, Gastón must be pleased because his favourite team, Independiente, now has the new coach GG was praying for: Menotti, who led the Argentine team to winning the World Cup in 1978. The team, at one time the third in importance in the Argentine, has been doing very badly, so I hope this will give them a boost.
Here´s the translation of the letter:

http://www.afa.org.ar//Notas/Notas.htm?Op=90501&CodNota=34797

GREETINGS TO A CHAMPION

Buenos Aires, 7 June 2004

To

Mr. Gastón Gaudio

Dear Champion:

As you can imagine, we are far from being tennis connoisseurs. But our lack of expert knowledge is no obstacle to being able to enjoy many matches, specially as in the case of Roland Garros, where a legion of Argentines has given us so many satisfactions.

The final was something else. Among us opinions were divided, but there was a majority in your favour.

Because of the secret vote and because it´s scarcely relevant, we won´t give numbers or names.

Deep down we all knew that in the end all of us would be celebrating because the winner would be an Argentine.

But that winner (you) achieved it by turning his back on the experts, on history, on everyone. One could say, a true winner.

As in Almafuerte´s verses (“do not accept defeat even when defeated”), you won one of the world´s most important trophies scattering courage and technical skill and you forced those experts to review many of their preconceptions, which through force of repetition seem to be more resistant than steel.

We rejoiced with your triumph, with your fortitude, with your tennis, with your celebration and with your declarations. In short, you made us, and it´s no exaggeration to say you made the whole country, infinitely happy.

At this stage we are going to take the liberty to let you in on a little secret. Your success has had such a strong impact on us, that when we decided to send you these lines to congratulate you and to invite you to visit us when your schedule permits it, we did so fully convinced that this practice will repeat itself very soon and very frequently.

With affection and respect.

Alicia C. de Abbatángelo Nélida P. de Grondona

Member Chairwoman

LADIES PROTOCOL COMMITTEE

ARGENTINE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

Thanks for the translation for the article Vale that was a very good read.

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts

Vale said:
Hi all!
Here is my translation of the letter to Gastón from the Argentine Football Association posted today. I´d never seen it before. It´s really nice and genuine-sounding, nothing like the stilted, formal notes one expects from public bodies. BTW, Gastón must be pleased because his favourite team, Independiente, now has the new coach GG was praying for: Menotti, who led the Argentine team to winning the World Cup in 1978. The team, at one time the third in importance in the Argentine, has been doing very badly, so I hope this will give them a boost.
Here´s the translation of the letter:

http://www.afa.org.ar//Notas/Notas.htm?Op=90501&CodNota=34797

GREETINGS TO A CHAMPION

Buenos Aires, 7 June 2004

To

Mr. Gastón Gaudio

Dear Champion:

As you can imagine, we are far from being tennis connoisseurs. But our lack of expert knowledge is no obstacle to being able to enjoy many matches, specially as in the case of Roland Garros, where a legion of Argentines has given us so many satisfactions.

The final was something else. Among us opinions were divided, but there was a majority in your favour.

Because of the secret vote and because it´s scarcely relevant, we won´t give numbers or names.

Deep down we all knew that in the end all of us would be celebrating because the winner would be an Argentine.

But that winner (you) achieved it by turning his back on the experts, on history, on everyone. One could say, a true winner.

As in Almafuerte´s verses (“do not accept defeat even when defeated”), you won one of the world´s most important trophies scattering courage and technical skill and you forced those experts to review many of their preconceptions, which through force of repetition seem to be more resistant than steel.

We rejoiced with your triumph, with your fortitude, with your tennis, with your celebration and with your declarations. In short, you made us, and it´s no exaggeration to say you made the whole country, infinitely happy.

At this stage we are going to take the liberty to let you in on a little secret. Your success has had such a strong impact on us, that when we decided to send you these lines to congratulate you and to invite you to visit us when your schedule permits it, we did so fully convinced that this practice will repeat itself very soon and very frequently.

With affection and respect.

Alicia C. de Abbatángelo Nélida P. de Grondona

Member Chairwoman

LADIES PROTOCOL COMMITTEE

ARGENTINE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION
This is a very beautiful letter, Vale. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

Thaaaaanks for the translation. :worship:

Vale, do you know this story, then?
http://www.lacapital.com.ar/2004/06/05/ovacion/noticia_105768.shtml
The article (or better, my web-translator) says that Gaston sent an air ticket to Gabriel Mena, his old trainer, so that he could be present at the final. Mena was Gaston's trainer (age 14 - 18) and when he stopped coaching GG, he said "Only thing I want is, one day when you are on RG SF, I want to be there." Gaston remembered it, though the promise was made jokingly, and he kept his word. Another nice story about Gaston!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

http://www.lacapital.com.ar/2004/06/05/ovacion/noticia_105768.shtml

GAUDIO KEPT AN OLD PROMISE

He sent his ex coach an air-ticket for him to travel to Paris to see him in the final.

Six years ago, when the young tennis player Gastón Gaudio made a promise to his then coach, it seemed just a joke. However, although it was only that, the player has kept his promise like a gentleman.

Gaudio, who yesterday became a finalist in the French Open, sent his ex coach a passage for him to fly to Paris to see him play against the other Argentine Guillermo Coria, in his first final of a Grand Slam.

“When he changed to another coach I said tohim: «all I want (and it´s not money) is that on the day when you reach the Roland Garros semifinals, I want to be seated there»”, said Gabriel Mena, who coached Gaudio between the ages of 14 and 18.

“I was expecting the call. He sent me the air-ticket. I have a flight to Paris tonight (for last night). I´m thrilled”, he said.

Tomorrow the Gato must confront Coria for the first Roland Garros final to have an Argentine player on both sides of the net. But because of his ranking Gaudio was the fourth favourite behind Coria, Nalbandian and Juan Ignacio Chela.

However, Mena says he´s confident. “I was the first one to tell his dad that he should leave school (...) and devote himself to tennis because he´s exceptional. Nobody believed in him, I´ve been the only one who said he´s a crack player, he´s the (Diego) Maradona of the racket”, Mena concluded.

----------------

Reiko, thanks for posting the original of this article in Spanish. I´ll tell you what I know about this story:

Mena was Gastón´s second coach, after the club coach who taught him as a child. I believe Gastón left school at about 16, instead of continuing A Levels and University, to become a professional tennis player after his father had a heart attack and the family´s financial situation had changed.
Mena was the coach who took him originally to the Vilas Club. When he was 18 and had grown beyond what Mena could teach him, he progressed to another coach, and that´s when he made this promise.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

Hey, Vale, thanks again for the translation.
Also, I appreciate your telling the story behind!

·
Registered
388 Posts

That is such a nice story. I think I've heard about it before, but it was nice that you posted it here :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Adri, thank Reiko for finding the original file! Reiko, I don´t know how you do it, you always come up with original material. You´re the site´s archaelogist... Keep it up, please!

421 - 440 of 3785 Posts