Mens Tennis Forums banner

341 - 360 of 3785 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Re: Gaston News & Articles

Adri, thanks a lot for telling what was going on between Mariano and Gaston there! :worship:
Now I can appreciate the clip a lot more than before.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

What a good morning for me- all these new links and stuff- thanks guys! I can't wait to watch them..

Why is Gaston in doubt for Buenos Aires? I tried to read the article but I'm so bad with Spanish that I can't figure it out. He's not injured is he?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

Choupi, I just voted. Do I have to tell you whom I voted? ;)

Has everyone seen this already?:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2004/atoz_2004.asp

A -- Agassi (Andre) -- 34-year-old Las Vegas native finished in Top 10 for 15th time and won a title for 17 of last 18 years.
B -- Berdych (Tomas) -- last player to beat Federer in 2004 at Athens Olympics on Aug. 17; won 1st ATP title in Palermo.
C -- Canas (Guillermo) -- won career-high three titles in four finals and jumped from No. 274 to year-end best No. 11.
D -- Davydenko (Nikolay) -- two-time ATP winner for second straight year was one of three Russians to finish in Top 30.
E -- El Aynaoui (Younes) -- veteran Moroccan was sidelined for most of year with foot injury, playing only five events (0-5).
F -- Federer (Roger) -- Swiss superstar won 11 titles (3 G.S, 3 AMS) and compiled a 74-6 record, best since Lendl in '86.
G -- Gaudio (Gaston) -- Argentine captured first G.S. title at Roland Garros and one of three Argentines in year-end Top 10.
H -- Haas (Tommy) -- Came back from shoulder injury to go from unranked in '03 to No. 17, capturing two ATP titles.
I -- Ivo (Karlovic) -- led ATP circuit with 21.1 aces per match and No. 3 in overall aces (843);played most tie-breaks (28-29).
J -- Johansson (Joachim) -- No. 1 Swede improved from 113 to No. 12 with first ATP title and Grand Slam SF at US Open.
K -- Kiefer (Nicolas) -- reached four ATP finals and won second-most matches (37) in a season in his career (won 54 in '99).
L -- Lopez (Feliciano) -- highest-ranked lefty (No. 25) on ATP circuit won 1st ATP title in Vienna and runner-up in Dubai.
M -- Massu (Nicolas) -- No. 1 Chilean captured double gold medals (S & D) at Athens Olympics and played 24 hrs., 43 min.
N -- Nadal (Rafael) -- 18-year-old beat No. 1 Federer, No. 2 Roddick in '04; helped Spain to D. Cup title; won 1st ATP title.
O -- Olivier (Rochus) -- Belgian captured first Grand Slam title in doubles at Roland Garros and 4th RD effort at US Open.
P -- Pavel (Andrei) -- first Romanian to finish in Top 20 (at No. 20) since former No. 1 Nastase was No. 16 in 1978.
Q -- Qureshi (Aisam-Ul-Haq) -- the Pakistan No. 1 became first player from his country to break Top 200 in ATP Rankings.
R -- Roddick (Andy) -- No. 2 player won four ATP titles and runner-up four other times; fired 1,017 aces (first time since '98).
S -- Safin (Marat) -- made biggest jump of any player in Top 10 from '03 (No. 77 to 4) and won three ATP titles in five finals.
T -- Tursunov (Dmitry) -- young Russian finished year-end best No. 80 and reached personal-best 3rd RD at Wimbledon.
U -- Ulihrach (Bohdan) -- Czech veteran improved from No. 262 in '03 to No. 85, his eighth Top 100 finish in 10 years.
V -- Ventura (Santiago) -- Spaniard qualified (No. 316) in his first ATP tournament in Casablanca and won title.
W -- Woodbridge (Todd) -- veteran Aussie won his ninth Wimbledon and Open Era record 82nd career doubles title in '04.
X -- Xavier (Malisse) -- No. 1 Belgian won first career Slam doubles title at Roland Garros and two-time ATP singles finalist.
Y -- Yen-Hsun (Lu) -- the 21-year-old from Chinese Taipei became first player from his country to finish in Top 100.
Z -- Zimonjic (Nenad) -- reached Wimbledon final (w/Knowle) and posted 1st career Top 10 win over Agassi in St. Poelten.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts

taysbest said:
What a good morning for me- all these new links and stuff- thanks guys! I can't wait to watch them..

Why is Gaston in doubt for Buenos Aires? I tried to read the article but I'm so bad with Spanish that I can't figure it out. He's not injured is he?
No - don't worry - he's not injured. I imagine it's for the same reasons as David, who has signed to play both the Marseilles tournament (the same week as Buenos Aires) and Rotterdam the week after. We have discussed this at length in David's Forum, but mainly it's a business decision based on the fact that the next two Masters' Series events (Miami and Indian Wells) are on hard courts, and after acclimatising to hard courts in Australia, it would not be to sensible to play one week on clay and then have to "re-acclimatise" back to hard courts again. If Gaston wishes to be taken seriously as an all-court genuine Top 10 player, he must be prepared to play out of his "comfort zone" and become accepted and respected elsewhere in the world. Marseilles and Rotterdam (especially the latter) are hugely lucrative and well-respected tournaments that attract the likes of Federer and Safin, so I guess he feels he wants to test himself against the best and gain points on other surfaces than clay. Coria is also booked for Marseilles for the same reasons as David.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts

taysbest said:
Ahh- thanks Rosie- that makes perfectly good sense. And I just love that kitty picture! He's a good pressie to find under your tree! :)
Providing he doesn't destroy the tree in the meantime :p

·
Registered
388 Posts

Hey guys, I can translate that article for you [the one Jazz posted] but be a little patient, I'm a bit slow today ;) [let's say I'm on "pre-season" :lol:]

·
Registered
388 Posts

iliketennis said:
???? I have no idea what they are saying about glass and cement ????
Glass = the Cup

Cement = hardcourt :)

Babelfish doesn't work very well with long texts...

·
Registered
21,729 Posts

Adri said:
Thanks so much, Reiko!!! :hug: :banana:

For the non-Spanish speakers: First, Gastón claimed Mariano doesn't even know how to turn on the computer... Then, they asked them what music they liked, Mariano said he liked U2, Rolling Stones, more rock stuff, and Gastón likes those as well as Jamiroquai. (They were listening to Coldplay at that moment and Gastón kept calling them "Coolplay" :lol: ) Later they talked about their Playstation skills, according to Mariano, Gastón never wins, he always loses and leaves the room crying. But Gastón wanted to tell the truth so he said out of 8 times they played once, Mariano only won 2. Mariano refused that, got mad and wanted to leave the room as you could see, and Gastón was calling him "the biggest liar ever" :lol: .... Then they talked about golf, Gastón was laughing a lot about Mariano's shots... And finally about football (soccer), Mariano said Gastón had skills, but those kind of skills where you get only one right and the rest wrong, he also said the whole stadium would boo him (Gastón) if he were a footballer. :lol:

That's what I could make out of it, there was some noise so maybe I didn't get something. But that's mostly it :dance:
:D Hilarious! These guys are so silly together, I hope I get to see them both next year in Montreal! ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts

Alright, here you go guys :):

Sparing, concise, Gastón Gaudio likes to enjoy the freedom of his silences. In an interview, almost like in a tennis match, the ROland Garros champion is able to prove a point or even rehearse a fantasy, if the idea seems good for him, or leave his answer on the net with a short word, if he doesn't like the subject or if it's boring for him. "Gato", who hates photo sessions, could say the same over and over again but he'd rather speak without roundups, even when he takes a couple of seconds to make up with an answer.

That same balance he tries to keep takes him to an evaluation of an unforgettable 2004: "There was a bit of everything: I had good times, others were amazing, terrible times, and Roland Garros, which was the best that had ever happened to me", says Gaudio, 26 years of age, in a chat with LA NACIÓN during the Copa Argentina that he won after defeating David Nalbandian in the final, on a hardcourt, the surface that is most difficult for him to play on.

-It seems as if you reconciliated with yourself.
-I think so. Considering that I don't like to lose at all and that everytime I enter a court is to win, at this time I'm enjoying the game more, more calmed.

-You used to say you suffered a lot with tennis...
-Well, I still suffer, but I try to understand that sometimes things don't turn out the way I want and that I got to be patient and wait for the right time.

-Did the Paris title change your life?
-No. Let's see... It changed something in a personal level, because the title gave me an extra sense of tranquility I didn't have; I've grown up; I'm starting to enjoy things more. It wasn't a big change, but there are things that make me live a bit better.

-How do you get on with this new fame?
-People recognize me and support me. I try not to do anything otherwordly; if I have to deal with an uncomfortable situation, I try to avoid it and that's it. Everything's perfect; I don't feel stalked or anything. It's just a bit more love and it's good for me.

-Is there any pressure to keep your level in 2005?
-No, I'll keep doing what I've done until now. I don't feel any obligation to defend the Roland Garros title either; I don't believe in that "defending points" thing; what you've won you've already won it. I'll begin next year with the same desire as this year, and if I can't win it, I'll try to enjoy it the same. I would like to have better results at the tournaments previous to the French Open.

The famous Musketeers Cup, which he kissed last June 6th, in a picture that was shown all over the world, rests in Paris, for it's property of the tournament. "I have nothing left from the final", says Gaudio, who received a smaller replica of the Cup after the ceremony, and even though it's small it has an unique personal meaning for him. "I have the cup at my living room at home. Everyday I wake up, I see it there and I'm happy for the rest of the day". And he claims to have never seen those five sets against Guillermo Coria: "I only caught bits and pieces of the match on TV".

Gaudio assures he hasn't thought about what could come after tennis, the sport he decided to make a life out when he was 15 years old. And he dared to dream to become top 10 and to win the French Open, 2 goals that seemed impossible a year ago. But he obtained both. What now? "There are always new goals, but it's harder now", he answers cautionely, without making a goal about the rankings.

That's how he is, the Roland Garros champion, world's number 10, Independiente's supporter, fan of Vilas, Bochini and Maradona -his biggest fan last weekend in Buenos Aires-, and golf lover. That's Gaudio, the one who touched heaven in Paris and learnt to look ahead to the future more camly.

Por José Luis Domínguez
De la Redacción de LA NACION

Davis Cup, that obsession

The best year in Gaudio's career ended the day before yesterday, obtaining the Copa Argentina title, at the Buenos Aires LTC's center court, over an asphaltic carpet surface, in front of 4600 people, and with applauses and recognition. Last year, at this same tournament, Gaudio was booed with no regrets.

All because of what happened 3 months earlier at Davis Cup. He lost his 2 singles matches with Spain (2-3), against Juan Carlos Ferrero and Carlos Moyá. That fatal tie in Málaga left him tormented, under a pile of criticism and with no desire to play tennis in weeks...

"I think I got over it fine. Maybe they came over me a bit more than expected. I always thought it was a little unfair, because I didn't lose to any other guy, I lost against world's number 1 (Ferrero) and number 6 (Moyá)! It was a complicated subject" says Gaudio.

But it doesn't end there. "When I used to win every Davis Cup match I played, they told me I was invincible and I told them that it wasn't like that, someday I would lose and the same people who once praised me were going to kill me, and that's what happened. I knew the story, that was always clear for me", he adds.

That was his last participation at that tournament. Now, with 2 months left for the tie with Czech Republic, he turns on the desire lights: "It would be espectacular for me to come back, I always liked to play Davis Cup and if they call me I'll live it as I always did. DC is a debt for all of us, we need to get together and place it as an objective, a goal, and win it, because Argentine tennis deserves it".

In doubt for Buenos Aires
Like Guillermo Coria and David Nalbandian, there is still no confirmation of Gaudio's participation at the ATP de Buenos Aires, which will start next February 7th. The official list will be out next Monday; Gaudio will return to the circuit on January 3rd, in Doha, Qatar.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Cool- thanks Adri! That was a long one!

Rosie- here is a pic of one of my naughty kitties under the tree. His name is Ilkka. I should probably put this in the chat section but I wanted to thank Adri for her translation....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

Rosie said:
Marseilles and Rotterdam (especially the latter) are hugely lucrative and well-respected tournaments that attract the likes of Federer and Safin, so I guess he feels he wants to test himself against the best and gain points on other surfaces than clay.
Rosie, you have a good point!
Now, I stop planning a trip to BsAs but stay here in the Netherlands.
Rotterdam is a very good tournament. Full of audience even early in
the week - "No less than 104,739 fans visited" the tournament in 2004.
The practice courts are open for public (at least in 2004).
I really hope Gaston will be there.....

Adri, thanks for the translation. You are so sweet doing it. :worship:
Gaston sounds indeed calm and grown-up, doesn't he?

·
on clouds...
13,407 Posts

Thank you so much for the translation, Adri!

·
Registered
5,480 Posts

Thank you, Adri for all the translation work you do.

I know that I don't post here much but I get this thread in my mailbox every day so I can keep up with the news :D

341 - 360 of 3785 Posts