Mens Tennis Forums banner

2601 - 2620 of 3785 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Re: Gaston News, Information & Articles

News from Gastón!
There is really nice article in Ole today. It's an interview with MArtín Jaite, who's gonna work with Gastón during european clay tour, coz Franco is at home with his son :angel:
http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2007/04/10/01396823.html
Maybe someone can translate that

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

The Jaite and Gaston team again, well when he won Barcelona without losing a set and then Mallorca it was Jaite that was coaching him.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

News from Gastón!
There is really nice article in Ole today. It's an interview with MArtín Jaite, who's gonna work with Gastón during european clay tour, coz Franco is at home with his son :angel:
Maybe someone can translate that
It´s a pleasure to translate this:D :

FOR THE GATO´S RECOVERY: MARTIN JAITE

“GASTON IS BENT ON WINNING”

He will coach Gaudio during the European tour, thus repeating the successful team they made in 2002. “He has the firm belief that he can come through”

JORGE VIALE [email protected]

“Hey, news travels fast!!” Martín Jaite exclaims knowingly.

The ex Top Ten, director of Argentina´s most important tournaments (ATP, Copa Telmex and Copa Petrobras challenger), will temporarily return to coaching. As Franco Davin, Gastón Gaudio´s coach since 2003, will stay on in Buenos Aires due to the birth of his son, Jaite will take his place for the most important tour, culminating in Roland Garros.

“They thought of me because I know him so well. I reorganized some personal matters and will accompany him” Jaite told Olé.
In this way the team that reaped successes in 2002 when Gaudio won his first ATPs: Barcelona and Mallorca, on the same tour, gets together again.

“We started to work together in Miami and I found him enthusiastic. Eager to change. Will he retire? He just says that when he can´t feel the ball, it doesn´t mean he´s retiring…” Jaite assures us.

- What can you contribute in such a short time working together?

- “ I won´t be changing much technically, I simply have to instill confidence in him so that he can change his mindset during matches. Gastón is eager to win. I am absolutely convinced that he can overcome this stage”.

- What is the secret for Gastón to be able to overcome this stage?

- “To be able to play a match in the same way he plays when he´s practicing, and for that to happen he needs the confidence gained from winning matches. It isn´t easy to see that players that you used to beat now beat you. Judging by his recent appearances one might imagine that Gastón was shattered, but I found him full of strength. I was surprised to see how well he was, he´s convinced that he can come through this and he works his butt off training.I feel confident, I´m not going to Europe on holiday. If that were the case I´d rather stay here with my family”.

- What do you recall of the time you were together during the 2002 tour?

- “That he was playing really good tennis. I used to tell him that, seeing his level of play and that of his rivals, he could well win Roland Garros, but he wasn´t convinced. That was his main problem. Two years later he did win, but that doesn´t mean I was a visionary. Nowadays Gastón is more mature”.

- He always had a special relationship with you…

- “We´ve had very good times, but well, the main thing now is that he play good tennis, right? What I like about him is that he´s an easy guy to travel with, and he accepts what one tells him and absorbs it”.

- What do you feel when he yells in the middle of a match?

- “That depends on the moment. I can´t change his personality, he´s 28 years old. That´s the way he is, when he does that he´s letting off steam because he feels bad. He´s a guy who goes in for strong self-criticism, sometimes too strong. I asked him recently how he had felt when he was booed in Buenos Aires and he said: “The people were right, I´d have done the same thing at a football match”. Sometimes he´s too self-critical”.

·
124,507 Posts

Thanks for the great translation and Jaite is from a family of pyschoanalysits, so he is perfect for Gaston, but it's good to see Jaite with him again for the most important part of the season for Gaston.

·
Registered
20,073 Posts

Thanks for the translation Vale. Good to know that Gaston's gonna work again with Jaite. A good team for sure. :yeah:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Jaite has just been in Tucumán province, organizing a Futures tournament, and in an interview he talked about everything related to Argentine tennis players. This is what he said again about coaching Gastón:

http://www.lagaceta.com/vernotae.asp?id_seccion=4&id_nota=201706

Martín Jaite has made a heavy bet: he has accepted to be Gastón Gaudio´s new coach, with whom he´s about to begin a strenuous tour.

“I´m convinced that Gastón can recover; he needs to reproduce the same level he´s showing when practicing, in his matches. I found a highly motivated player and that´s why I accepted this challenge, which is a very heavy bet because I have a family and three children. I don´t wish to travel to Europe for a holiday or just to accompany him; I´m going because I´m sure that Gastón can overcome this situation”

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

how am i HAPPY to hear these words....

Thanks, Vale!

I do hope to witness Gaston's revival this spring.

·
Registered
21,729 Posts

Hoping to SEE Gaston on my TV for MC!

·
Registered
99 Posts

Thank you, Vale! It is news like this that puts a big smile on all our faces :) I can't wait!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts

Vale - thanks for the news and translations. Hope we're seeing him back in top form in matches soon.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Here´s a pre-Monte Carlo treat for you all!

El Gráfico is Argentina´s most famous sports magazine, but it doesn´t post its articles online and it doesn´t cover tennis all that much. Yesterday my husband brought me a special gift: the April 7th number that devotes five pages to Gastón! It´s a great article, typical Gastón with original, intelligent answers, and I´ve translated the parts I thought most interesting. (It´s funny to see Gastón´s love/hate relationship with golf!):

EL GRAFICO (7 April 2007)

THE CAT WANTS ANOTHER LIFE
(by Juan Manuel Durruty)

He doesn´t want to talk about retiring because he longs to feel the pleasure of playing good tennis once again.

- What were the repercussions among the people you came across on the street after your defeat in the Telmex Cup?

- “People support me, they´re always pleased to see me and they praise me, that´s very clear to me. The same thing happened after Málaga………….”

- ……….. As you´re not an aggressive guy, it would be hard for them to criticize you openly on the street.

- “The truth is that people have never given me a hard time or been unpleasant on the street, they´re usually on my side, you see?”

- “What hurt me most was to have played so badly, not the boos of the public”.

The magazine talks about “the unforgettable press conference, that ended with all the journalists clapping Gastón in recognition of his sincerity when talking to them” (something we were never shown on TV!)

- “It´s because you, the journalists, aren´t used to hearing someone tell the truth”

- “After spending part of my life playing at a very high level, being one of the ten best players in the world during a couple of years, winning tournaments, it´s difficult to find myself where I am at the moment. It´s like I don´t feel comfortable being here, you see what I mean? And one suffers much more. So, maybe I can find strength in this suffering to play a bit better. Well, that´s how I see it… Even so, I´m finding it difficult and it´s very hard to regain a high level”.

- In the Buenos Aires press conference you said more than once that you´d considered giving up tennis, that you couldn´t find your way out of this situation.

- “Honestly, since I started playing tennis I´ve never looked for an easy way out to escape from problems. I´ve played badly many times and I´ve struggled to get ahead. When times were rough, I never gave in. Besides, I wouldn´t like to give up tennis while I´m playing like this; after having dedicated so many years to this sport, and after having achieved a successful career, I don´t think it´s the way to go.”

- And haven´t you considered giving up playing just for a while, disconnecting yourself?

- “In my case I think it would be worse to stop playing. Once you stop, it´s more difficult to return. My belief is that one has to be tough and go on, on, on… I went to compete in Acapulco playing the worst tennis in my life, and I lost to Ferrero playing rather we… a little bit better, but anyway, that´s better than nothing. So that´s how it goes, one has to carry on”

- What motivates you to try to overcome this bad patch?

- “That I really like to play tennis, I really enjoy playing good tennis. It´s a great sensation, and it´s the only thing that has always given me pleasure throughout my life… when I won Roland Garros or when I played good matches. And I want to experience that sensation of pleasure once again. I don´t want to give up tennis in this way, after so many years playing”.

- But right now you give the impression that you suffer a lot and don´t enjoy yourself at all…

- “Yes, but there´s no other way. To be able to enjoy something, first one has to suffer for it”.

- And what do your family or friends tell you?

- “They want to see me happy and they know that if I continue to play it´s because I´m striving to recover my game. They want what´s best for me, and if I don´t want to play anymore, they´d say ‘great’ and that´s that”.

- Do you still see the psychologist?

- “Yes. It was good for me once, and now I think it will also help me. I don´t know if it´s just a habit or not, but I feel comfortable with it and I know that, at the very least, it can´t do me any harm”.

- Are you still playing golf?

- “Much less now, because I got better and better and better and reached a level where one day I played amazingly, but as the next day I played like shit, it ended up driving me crazy”.

- Did you start to whirl your golf-sticks?

- “Yes, it drove me wild. And I´d play like shit. Now I´m so angry that I´ve quarreled with golf, because it´s aggravating that it´s such an unfair sport. So I haven´t played anymore. I´m bad playing golf, well, actually I play well, but I´m mediocre. And there were days when I was disastrous, it´s a real mean game, but even so I like it”.

(HE SMILES WHEN HE TALKS ABOUT GOLF).

- Does your decision to continue playing tennis have anything to do with money?

- “I didn´t start playing tennis for the money, even though later I began to win matches and important tournaments and I made money. But just think, when I played the Roland Garros final I was playing for a whole heap of money, and yet I swear by my mother that that was the last thing I was thinking of. The same when I won. When one plays tennis the money angle is the last thing one has on one´s mind, one´s looking for something else, you see?”

- “Cash is no motivation for me to continue ”.

THE GOLDEN GENERATION

- “I think it´s unlikely for the situation we had a couple of years ago to repeat itself, when we were lots of Argentine players at the top of the ranking. Perhaps it could happen again, but it´s very difficult to stay up there. One thing that strikes me is that for a long time the country was waiting for the day when there would be Argentine players among the top ten, and when it finally happened everybody was pleased but I don´t think it´s full dimension was appreciated. It was a unique moment, it was the first time in ages, no, in fact it was the first time ever that we had so many top ten players at the same time. And a long time will go by before we see anything like it again. We were all at a great level, Coria, Nalbandian and I, and then came Puerta, Cañas himself… it was amazing”.

- Is there no new generation appearing that can follow all of you at the same level?

- “Del Potro can very well achieve it, but I don´t know if there are any other players. I haven´t seen much. Juan Martín is already successful, but I don´t know of anybody appearing behind him”.

THE DREAM OF WINNING THE DAVIS CUP

- “We can still win the Davis Cup with this generation of players. We need David, and for Guillermo Coria to recover his best form, and we have good chances”.

- But in this last year we have depended too much on Nalbandian and that seems dangerous.

- “It´s evident that we cannot play with just one player. A point won by Acasuso is worth the same as Nalbandian´s, it´s not as if when David wins it´s worth double. But it´s worth noting that every time that David had to play the three points, he didn´t play one of them at his best level. Except over there in Australia, when they won on grass. It´s because it´s very tiring and it overtaxes just one player. That´s why it´s essential to have two players playing at their best level to be able to win”.

- How much do you think the draw influences the outcome?

- “If you have the luck of the draw, it´s an advantage. When Spain had that luck, they sailed through. In our case, we´ve always had some tie where we weren´t so lucky, and it made a difference. But the day will come when everything works in our favour, and I hope that then we´ll all be in good form to be able to win the Cup”.

·
124,507 Posts

Mr Vale knows how to look after you it seems.

·
Registered
21,729 Posts

Gracias, Vale, can you post a link to the original Spanish article?

·
Registered
21,729 Posts

Gracias, Vale, can you post a link to the original Spanish article? ;)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Gracias, Vale, can you post a link to the original Spanish article?
I wish I could!:mad: As I mentioned, the Gráfico doesn´t post the articles from their printed edition online, and I only read that interview because I was given the magazine.
I typed out a transcript of the salient points for the Yahoo Group: (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/gastongaudio_group/message/12970) and then translated them to post them here. Lots of work really, but lets spread the love!:D

The Gráfico link is http://www.elgrafico.com.ar/edimpresa.php
and there near the end of the index you´ll see "GAUDIO A FONDO. Con su estilo único para jugar y para declarar, el Gato se planta y dice las cosas que siente". but that´s it - no article!:(

·
Registered
334 Posts

Vale - Your efforts translating all these articles are fantastics (and in this last case, taking the time to type out the original for your group als0). Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I always enjoy his interviews and his honesty and openness in them.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Gastón was quite pleased with his tennis today. Here are some quotes:

http://www.diariohoy.net/notas/verNoticia.phtml/html/268515115/

“I felt confident and that´s why I won”, said Gaudio

The Argentine tennis player Gastón Gaudio said today that he “feels confident” and that is the reason why he rediscovered “the tennis I´ve been looking for”.

“During the first set I didn´t manage to play as I wanted and I got broken at the crucial moment, but later I started to gain confidence and I played good tennis in the last sets”.

“There are always things that I need to improve. I never leave the court feeling 100% satisfied, but I know that winning gives me confidence and motivation to continue striving for the level I want to achieve”.

“It will be a terribly tough match (against Djokovic), but I hope to put up a good performance and to be able to play well and “lindo” (untranslatable! The closest is “attractive” or “nice”). If I can, I will have a chance of winning and advancing in the tournament”.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Gastón gave a radio interview to Matías Martin in “Basta de todo” after the match against Tursunov, which is quoted in today´s Olé by Jorge Viale.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2007/04/17/01401443.html

In yesterday´s chat with Matías Martin in “Basta de Todo” after the match, Gastón Gaudio was all jokes and irony, like when he´s interviewed on FM Metro or Rock&Pop radio shows – far from the subdued version he often shows in other public appearances.
The phone call from the programme served for him to joke about the rumors of his retirement and even to talk about parenthood.

In the last part of yesterday´s match Gaudio appeared calmer, with the shots and the spice of other years. “Are you kidding me? It wasn´t too difficult to play better than before! I hope it´s the beginning of my recovery, because I´m tired of playing like that and to have all the press criticizing me!” he said, laughing about his 3-7 record this year.

- “If I could stay in this ranking I´d be saving the year, because to fall to # 70 would be no fun at all”.

When asked about the possibility of retiring, he said:

- “During a match, when I´m playing like shit, 80 times I think to myself “That´s enough of this farce, let´s get it over with. But when I´m training, which should be the hardest time, I put up with it very well”.

That was when Martin said to him that he´ll always be the Roland Garros champion, a title nobody can take away from him. “Yes, that´s for my kids” Gaudio said. “Oh, do you have kids?” the interviewer asked, quick on the uptake. “No… at least, I don´t think so” Gaudio joked. “But I´d like to have a kid, it would be great. But no, up to now my girlfriend is not pregnant”, he confided.

Tomorrow the Serb Novak Djokovic, Miami champion, awaits him in Monaco. “He´s playing well, but one can´t chose one´s rivals. One has to beat them all. Someone like I used to be could feel confident he could beat him. Someone like I am right now… we´ll see”.

2601 - 2620 of 3785 Posts