Mens Tennis Forums banner

2581 - 2600 of 3785 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Re: Gaston News, Information & Articles

Oh, Vale,thank you a lot for yourtranslations and links! I spent all the day today working on translations for my russian forum and you helped me a lot in it ;)
Hope the respond from that case will show Gaston, that he really has the fans he can count on.

·
on clouds...
13,407 Posts

Vale, thank you so much for all this information :hug:
This is so much appreciated and it´s great to see there are still so many people supporting Gaston :yeah:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

This is the first serious interview Gastón has given in over a year:

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/02/24/deportes/d-07615.htm

Gaudio: "People either love me or hate me"

While he lives through the most complicated moment of his career, he says that not being able to recuperate his best tennis hurts him more than being booed by the public because of his poor showing in the Buenos Aires tournament. He declares that the sum of disappointments could lead to his retirement, but he still dreams of achieving a great triumph.

HARD TIMES. Gaudio gets serious when he speaks about the spectators´ reaction when he was defeated by Ramírez Hidalgo. “They don´t want to see me like that and they expressed it that way”.

Marcelo Maller
[email protected]

Minutes before flying to Acapulco Gastón Gaudio sits in one of the Ezeiza Airport tearooms for an exclusive chat with Clarín, as he had promised the previous night.

There´s a topic (or rather, several) that is still being talked about in tennis circles: The unprecedented catcalls he received in the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club when he lost to the Spaniard Rubén Ramírez Hidalgo 6-1 6-1, his current poor form and the possibility of his retirement, are among those topics.

The Gato, wearing a white T-shirt with a pocket, pale blue jeans, no belt, and sneakers, with his girlfriend Macela Kloosterboer nearby, didn´t conceal anything, he didn´t hide. He faces the situation and explains what´s happening to him.

- A day and a half have passed since the catcalls. What´s your analysis of what occurred in the tournament?

- “I´m trying to make a comeback, I´m fighting. It´s understandable, perhaps people have such expectations placed in me that they wanted to see something that I was unable to offer them the other day. In a way it´s understandable because one goes to see a good spectacle and ends up with something else. It happens to me when I go to see something I don´t enjoy. When I see Independiente playing badly I hate it.

But if they have expectations placed in me it´s because at some point they´ve seen me play good tennis. I´d love to play well again for people to want to go to see me, and for those who go to see me to find what they expected.”

- What hurt the most?

- “What hurt me most is what has been hurting me all along: that I´m playing badly. As far as the public´s reaction is concerned, it has it´s good side: it means they expect much more of me, in a way they´re showing me that we see it the same way. They don´t want to see me like this and that´s their way of showing it. I didn´t take it badly. That didn´t hurt, what hurt is to have played so badly and not to be able to pick myself up.”

- After living through this rough moment, are you closer to retiring?

- “As I keep accumulating frustrations and losing matches, I don´t feel good, and I feel more inclined to retire than to keep on playing.

But here I am, off to play in Mexico with the same hopes I had when I started to play in Buenos Aires; thinking I may be able to play well. It´s a matter of willpower, I have quite a big challenge before me.

For instance, I found strength in the Málaga situation to win Roland Garros the following year. Right now I´m in a similar situation, so maybe it will give me the strength to get over this.”

- Do you know the reason why you can´t find your tennis?

- “That´s my main worry. I don´t know why this is happening to me, I can´t find the root of the problem. If I knew why, I could find the solution. I haven´t changed anything, I feel just the same as always, I train hard.

Perhaps there are different situations and my motivation is not the same. I´m not the same age and maybe, after so many good and bad experiences, the time has come when I have to find a new motivation that will give me the hunger to get to the top. Maybe that´s what I´m lacking right now. Do you see what I mean? I´m lacking that something that surges from inside oneself. I don´t enjoy being down there, perhaps that will give me the strength to overcome this stage.”

- How do you see and feel about professionalism in tennis?

- “Professional tennis now is almost the same as it was when I became a pro. As you advance from one stage to the next, things change. It becomes a job of work and that change is really noticeable. After I began to play in the ATP, I changed one hundred per cent. It´s such a competitive world, there are such pressures and there´s so much at stake that you´re pushed into professionalism”.

- And in your case, do you prefer just playing to being a professional?

- “I enjoy just playing much more, I think it´s fun. But it´s all mixed up, because I want to play attractive tennis within the ferocious competition there is today. And that´s what I enjoy: to be able to play as I like under the strong pressure of competition. And to try to have fun and do stuff that others don´t dare to do.”

- The other day you threw down your racquet and broke it. When something doesn´t work out in your private life, do you react the same?

- “It´s tennis that makes me react that way. Nothing else makes me go crazy like that”.

- Sometimes you seem to be listless on court. Are you the same outside the courts?

- “I´m the same outside. Sometimes I don´t feel like doing anything. It´s the same when I play golf. Sometimes I play five holes and, if I´m playing badly, I leave. It´s how I am”.

- Are you going to get married or does tennis come first?

- “The tennis circuit has nothing to do with it. They´re two different things. One can have a job and a separate private life. And my private life is great. Nowadays I feel calm and I don´t know if it´s the time for something like that. Tennis is part of my life, but there are other things outside.”

- Which are?

- “My family, mi friends, my girlfriend. The same things any 28-year-old guy has apart from his work”.

- What is your major goal and your major challenge?

- “The main thing is to play tennis well again. And after that, to be high up again, and to win something that will satisfy me. A Masters Series, to win Roland Garros again would be marvellous, to win the Davis Cup… I would need to achieve something big, I wouldn´t like to retire like this.”

- You already have the replica of the Roland Garros cup in your display cabinet…

- “I already have one, but people here probably don´t even realize. A repeat wouldn´t be half bad.”

- What have the people on the street said to you?

- “It´s incredible, they´re supporting me. People either love me or hate me. I like the way people treat me. I respect those who hate me and those who love me. It´s fine by me, one can´t love everybody and one can´t like all styles of people. This is my style, this is me. I don´t put on a show either for those who love me or for those who hate me. I behave just the way I am.”

........................................................................................................

“Being so high up tires your head out”

Even today, his historic triumph two and a half years ago in Roland Garros still reverberates. But nowadays the leading players of that 2004 final are not doing at all well.

- You and Coria are going through a bad patch. Why do you think this is happening?

- “To be so high up, when the competition is so intense, is exhausting for one´s head and there comes a moment when it´s hard to keep it up. Hewitt was number 1 for two years and he ended up 20. To stay on top is very hard and it´s more of a mental effort than anything else. And that is much more tiring than running. You can keep on running all day, but when your head is tired, you can´t move. He and I are paying for the effort we´ve made, after three hard years of competing in important tournaments. It´s normal. I don´t know if we have the strength and the willpower, but we still have the tennis skills. So we can be back on top again”.

- Has tennis become “footballized”?

- “It´s become more popular thanks to us. And to Vilas, although it had dwindled a bit. I like people to live the match like we are living it on court. It´s fine by me for them to boo if they want to, and to applaud if they want to.”

………………………………………………………………….………………...................................

What´s next:
Acapulco

In spite of his defeat at the hands of Rubén Ramírez Hidalgo and his subsequent withdrawal from the Buenos Aires ATP, Gastón Gaudio flew to Mexico yesterday to take part in the Acapulco tournament where he reached the semifinals last year. Just this once, Gaudio travelled with Roberto Azar as coach because Franco Davin is about to be a father for the second time. And he was accompanied by his trainer Juan Carlos Menchón. José Acasuso, Agustín Calleri and Gisela Dulko were on the same flight.

……………………………………………………………………………................................…..…..

The Gato says:

- “Would I like to return to Buenos Aires to receive the public´s applause?

All this will be over soon… I don´t mean because I´m going to play well again, but because people understand that anyone can have a bad day. And that a bad year is a bad year, but you always win through. And I know that I´ll return to the BALTC and the public will value all I´ve done for this country´s tennis and for all the little kids who became motivated when I won Roland Garros. I think that people, when they calm down, will value all that.”

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

Great translation work Vale, and it's very true what Gaston says people love him or they hate him and there is no acting with him and that' s something to be appreciated.

·
Registered
21,729 Posts

Funny, even when Gaston loses or he loses his temper... I never get mad at him... I don't know why... Rogi makes me mad sometimes... Maratski always makes me mad or :rolleyes:... strange...

·
Registered
20,073 Posts

Thanks for the hard translation work Vale. It's a great interview and Gaston speaks his mind, as always. Maybe that's what I like the most in him....especially when things aren't going too well for him. He doesn't hide.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

Vale, thanks as always. :)

Not to demand Vale's translation but I saw this and thought some of you might be interested:
"Gaudio necesita un impasse de 6 meses"

I guess here in the article a psychologist is saying Gaston needs a longer break - like 6 months. I don't know. Hope he soon will rediscover his strength one way or another and start enjoying on court.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Vale, thanks as always. :)

Not to demand Vale's translation but I saw this and thought some of you might be interested:
"Gaudio necesita un impasse de 6 meses"

I guess here in the article a psychologist is saying Gaston needs a longer break - like 6 months. I don't know. Hope he soon will rediscover his strength one way or another and start enjoying on court.
Thanks for posting that, Reiko!:D I hadn´t seen it, and when I can I´ll translate the main parts.

In the meantime, here´s a short Vilas quote that a friend posted in the Yahoo group:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/886816

VILAS DEFENDED GAUDIO AND CRITICIZED THOSE WHO JEERED

“The public sometimes make mistakes, they´re not always right.

They jeered at a guy who always confesses in public, who always wants to play good tennis, and who never blames anyone else but himself.

This is something connected to football, it´s a situation I don´t agree with”

·
Registered
551 Posts

Somebody knows if it is going to play in the TMS of Indian Wells??

·
Registered
1,885 Posts

I hope it´s because he feels he can best occupy his time preparing for Miami or the clay season in Europe, and not due to some physical problem.:confused:
it seems that's the reason :shrug: I didn't hear about any injury or something like that.

·
124,507 Posts

No need to worry it makes perfect sense that Gaston isn't playing in Indian Wells and it would not surprise if he missed Miami either.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Hi Guy's, I am not sure if everyone has heard about "THE SECRET"by Rhonda Byrne it is a AMAZING dvd which can be purchased as a book and audio cd. Here in North America it is huge (even thought I had not heard about it). A friend of mine from the gym asked me if I have heard about it beause it has literally been all over the news CNN, oprah and every other talk show. Anyway since I hadn't she offred to lend me the DVD. At first I thought maybe this is just one of those hyped up money making scandles here. But I was quite impressed and thought of Gaston, I am sure he has received professional help, but I wish he could read or see THE SECRET. It talks about how are thoughts shape our lives, future and alot more basically all the stuff we all know but somehow we let the negative thoughts get in our way of living the real life we want, Gaston is a perfect example of that. I just think it would be great if Gaston could get his hands on The Secret, I am sure he is already aware of it all but I think it would still interest him to know more.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

No need to worry it makes perfect sense that Gaston isn't playing in Indian Wells and it would not surprise if he missed Miami either.
In today´s Olé they say he is back in BA preparing for Miami. I imagined he would have gone to Miami as he has an apartment there, but I guess he preferred to come home as it´s quite a long time before the tournament starts (24th?)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

A new Gastón?;) New attitude, anyway... :

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/03/26/deportes/d-02601.htm

Clarín: “How much longer can you carry on suffering like this?”

- “I don´t know, one can see I have a lot of patience.
We´ll see what happens on the clay tour, see if I can improve. I´ve already been through this several times before. When, when, when, I don´t know.

"And if the improvement never comes, it´s not the end of the world. It´s not like somebody died”.

·
Registered
99 Posts

This is good news!!! T

here is always a reason why we go through these up and down phases in our lifes. I hope Gaston finds his reasons...weather it is in tennis or his life.

Thanks for the update, I was starting to wonder how he was taking all this.

·
124,507 Posts

Thanks for that Vale.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I really miss Gaston out of the top 20. :sad: Really hoping some clay court in Europe will bring him some confidence.
Having played tennis for about 2 years now; it amazing to me how well balanced and feeling good you have to be on the court. It takes so much heart and spirit as well. I connected with George's insight on what might be happening to that spirit in his life outside of tennis, who knows? On George's "Let's get back on the Subject for 2007"

As a professional player, it is also valuable in knowing that he does not have the same trainer. I will hope that he keeps playing and improving; such a great player to watch. If he needs to rest; then , he should. I sincerely hope that he will not leave us; and I am NOT surprised at all of Vilas' defense of a great player. Good point- Gaston never blames anyone but himself.

No, Gaston's life will not be finished if he doesn't improve in tennis; but, professional tennis will be missing a great player.:hatoff:

2581 - 2600 of 3785 Posts