Mens Tennis Forums banner

2521 - 2540 of 3785 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Re: Gaston News, Information & Articles

Hi Sonantinca...you mean clay tennis on hard court? it was on hard and interesting to see.
Sorry, I thought it would be on clay :rolleyes: :D

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

After Gastón´s extremely low profile these last few months when he gave no interviews, La Nación and Olé managed to corner him at the Conrad Hotel in Punta del Este, and the rest of the media just reproduced the contents of those articles.

Here´s a translation of the Olé interview. There´s quite a lot of stuff that´s similar to La Nación and I didn´t translate that part, so in fact it´s a selection. His views on the DC are basic common sense, but I wonder what Mancini´s reaction will be?

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2006/12/31/01336747.html

GASTON GAUDIO

“Mentally I feel prepared to win Roland Garros once more”

Gastón Gaudio is far from retiring, he´s all set to go: “I want to recover my game and to be a Top Ten once more”. The Gato also talked about the Davis Cup, of his wish to be on the team once more, and he emphasized David Nalbandian´s undisputed leadership.

“Of course I want to be back in the Davis Cup, but first I´ll have to play better”
…………………………..

On the balcony of the hotel Gastón Gaudio (28) plays with his inseparable friend (his cell phone) and accepts to talk to Olé before escaping to go off on a motorboat excursion. He looks different, and it´s not that he´s cut his hair or got tanned: for the last two months he´s had braces on his teeth, which will accompany him for an indefinite length of time.

……………………………

- This year at last you were able to take more than a week´s holidays, something you hadn´t been able to do these last years.

- “Yes, that makes a difference. Of course it´s useful to feel rested. However, my having taken a break doesn´t mean I´ll be as I used to be. But I´m going to try. I need to have more confidence, I know I´m not playing great tennis."

- What stage of your career have you reached? Have you started to think about things unrelated to tennis or are you totally focused on it?

- “Right now I´m focused solely on tennis. In the coming year I´m going to dedicate myself 100% and I´ll see if I can reach the level I´m aiming at. After this year I´ll see what I will do.”

- When you stop playing, do you still have the intention of doing something related to finance?

- “Yes, I love it. Someday, when I stop playing, I´m going to study. I´ll be doing something.”

- And when you talk about being the player you once were, do you think you could win Roland Garros again?

- “I´d first have to play good tennis again. My head is prepared to win it; mentally, to have already lived an experience like that is an advantage. You have to train hard and wait: one day you begin to play better, and better, and better. It´s not happening to me right now.”

…………………………………….

- Are your classic yells on court caused by that impossibility to play well you refer to?

- “It´s because I feel irritation, helplessness, lots of things all together. Now we can rule out playing so many matches in a row as a cause, because I´m not winning. So I´ll have to rely on my willpower.”

……………………………………

- How´s your relationship with Alberto Mancini? There was talk of a discussion…

- “It´s alright. It´s always been alright; the thing is… he´s the captain, and if he decides I´m not on the team, I´m not on the team. There can´t be a bad relationship because there´s nothing to discuss. He makes the decisions and that´s how it should be. Whatever I may say, nothing will change.”

- Do you think that your not going to Croatia, because you felt you weren´t playing sufficiently well, made you lose points all through the rest of the year?

- “I think that if the captain says: “If a player doesn´t accept to play once, he won´t play during the rest of the year”, that´s fine. If he can stick to it always and not only when it suits him, I agree. But then one has to see if he´s able to stick to it, to say: “Right, if this guy doesn´t play here, he won´t play anymore”.

Just the same, if I were captain it wouldn´t be that way, I believe that whoever is playing better at the time should play, no matter if it´s in quarter finals, semis, whatever… Because the year is very long and lots of different situations can arise… I would always chose a team to win, the best team available. It doesn´t matter if a player played all through the year or not. The important thing is to win, more than the camaraderie among the players… To win.”

- In the 2007 season it´s possible that David won´t play in Austria and, if that tie is won, he´ll return to the team again. In that case the captain wouldn´t be sticking to his rules, but do you think he makes an exception because David is a star player?

- “As far as I´m concerned, David is like Federer: he must play, whenever he feels like it. Maybe lots of people won´t agree with my point of view. I hope he´ll feel like playing as many times as possible. I want him always to be on the team. Look, at this moment there are only two players … no, not even that, I´d say one player, who wins two points playing away. Do you understand? And even so we lost. Neither Ljubicic, nor Davydenko, nor Roddick…not even Nadal (on grass or against Croatia he´d lose) – David is the only player guaranteed to give you two points playing away, in the world! So if I were the captain I´d have him on the team whenever he feels like playing. Even if he said: “I´ll play today, tomorrow I won´t”. That´s the way it has to be if you want to win the Davis Cup.”

- Do you think you could have played well on a fast court such as was used in Russia?

- “The Davis Cup is difficult, but I think that when one´s going through a good patch one can surmount every obstacle. Chucho is not a star player on cement, but even so he played well. Nadal himself reached the Wimbledon final and he´s no expert on grass. Speaking of Chucho, I totally agree that he should play, on cement, grass or whatever. A player´s confidence should have priority above all else. If Coria or I are going through a bad patch, and Acasuso is playing well, then he´s the one who has to play.”

- What parameters do you think Mancini guides himself by today? What comes first: current form, ranking, performance playing the Davis Cup, the group…?

- “I don´t know. I don´t know what his priorities are. He chooses the best team. That´s what he says.

It depends on the moment, you perceive it: you have to talk to the players, ask them “How do you feel? Do you feel you can do it? Do you feel you can´t …?” You perceive it; if tennis is your livelihood you have a good idea which player can win a match, or you put yourself in the shoes of the opposing player and ask yourself which of them would find it more difficult. It also depends on the respect a player commands. If I had to play a Grand Slam final and I had to face Coria as he´s playing today, who is not going through his best moment, or someone like Del Potro, who is playing great, I would prefer Del Potro in spite of his current level. It´s a matter of respect, the weight that prestige gives. That´s what I feel. There are lots of things that a captain has to consider.”

·
Registered
3,358 Posts

Rhanks a lot, Vale, for the translation :)

i always like Gastón's honesty and intelligence to see situations and tennis. I was impressed about his words on David and Cup Davis team: the only player in the world that can guarantee you 2 points playing away. WOW! :worship:

i woudl love for him to win another RG!! :D

·
124,507 Posts

Those answers from Gaston were thoughtful and logical, but as for him playing in Croatia, well Gaston wasn't in good enough form to play in that tie and that was the same for the whole season. He has to play well enough to be considered for the team.

·
Registered
20,073 Posts

Thanks for the translation Vale. It is interesting to read how Gaston sees how Mancini's job must work......and also, that's nice to read he's firmly decided to be 100% on his tennis again this year. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts

Thanks to everyone who brings us all such depth news about Gaston Gaudio and his game (great job on the translations....THX). It is great to hear he is looking forward to this year....I can't wait!!!

Here is a little article I came across, it is a interview with Andy Murray and he mentions one of the greatest matches he saw last year was Gaudio and Nadal at Monte Calro.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2006590473,00.html

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

... as for him playing in Croatia, well Gaston wasn't in good enough form to play in that tie and that was the same for the whole season. He has to play well enough to be considered for the team.
I think that´s his point: He felt he wasn´t playing well enough to go to Croatia and climbed down, and he´s been given to understand that he wasn´t called again (principally in the case of the tie in BA where he feels he should have been on the team) as a punishment for not going to Croatia.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts

I think that´s his point: He felt he wasn´t playing well enough to go to Croatia and climbed down, and he´s been given to understand that he wasn´t called again (principally in the case of the tie in BA where he feels he should have been on the team) as a punishment for not going to Croatia.
well, Vale, i cannot understand how could they have such misunderstandings! i mean, with a good talk all that could be solved. I think Gastón was right thinking he wasn't playing good enough in Croatia times, so why Mancini did not understand that? The punishment is jut a feeling from Gaston or Mancini told him somehting like that? If this is just Gaston's feeling, well he should talk to Mancini and solve the misunderstanding.

·
124,507 Posts

Well there seems to be something unresolved there. If he thinks that is the case. Considering he was one of the main people behind getting rid of Luza and having Mancini taking over the job.

Gaston hadn't been playing well enough for the whole of the 2006 season to be included in the team, so he has to make sure he does the job to make it impossible for Mancini to leave him out. At the same time given if his form is good enough then he should be considered for the clay ties.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/952763

Nieminen to meet Rochus

Jan 6, 2007
By Alan Granville at the ASB Tennis Centre, Auckland

The draw has been made for the first round of the Heineken Open and it's thrown up a few tasty matches.

Last year's winner Jarkko Nieminen has drawn Oliver Rochus - in 2006 the duo played perhaps the best ever match seen at the tournament in the semi-finals with Nieminen prevailing in three sets.

Third seed David Ferrer plays former French Open winner Gaston Gaudio in a battle between two of the world's best clay courters.

Top seed Tommy Robredo takes on fellow Spaniard Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo while last year's runner-up and second seed Mario Ancic faces a qualifier.

Also facing a qualifier is New Zealand's only entrant Dan King-Turner.

Two potential thrillers see Juan Martin Del Potro taking on seventh seed Agustin Calleri, while Nicolas Almagro faces Stanislas Wawrinka.

·
124,507 Posts

http://www.stuff.co.nz/print/3922059a1823.html

Ferrer outlasts Gaudio in 2½ hour clash

Spaniard David Ferrer left the ASB Tennis Centre here today pleased with his fitness after a long first-round triumph over Gaston Gaudio, of Argentina.

Ferrer, the world No 15 and third seed, beat the former French Open champion 5-7 6-3 6-2 after 2½ hours on court.

It took Gaudio 71 minutes to take the first set from Ferrer after breaking serve in the final game of the set, but Ferrer won the second set courtesy of two service breaks and looked comfortable throughout the final set.

Ferrer said striking Gaudio at his first match for the year was tough but he thought he might have been fitter than his opponent.

"When I play with him it's a tough match. He was again very good and he's a very strong player," Ferrer said.

"He had more chances (in the first set) but in the second and third, physically I was maybe better than him."

Gaudio appeared to get frustrated in the final set and Ferrer said he was pleased with his own temperament.

"I played very regular all the match, maybe a little bit casual in the first set but it's normal with players. Sometimes we're a bit crazy."

Ferrer said he would take confidence from his victory but it would have limited relevance to his second round match against Italian Daniele Bracciali, a 6-3 6-2 winner over Gilles Simon, of France, today.

"Bracciali is a different player to Gaston, he plays more serve and volley and it will be a different match."

Ferrer, who has been in the top 15 of the world for the past two years, said his ranking did not concern him much.

"For me I have to play match to match. These two years I have played good tennis and I am happy but now it is different and more difficult so I want to play match to match."

·
Registered
551 Posts

Somebody knows if Gaston has thought to go this year to Conde de Godo :confused:

·
Registered
21,729 Posts

Somebody knows if Gaston has thought to go this year to Conde de Godo :confused:
No, Gasti, don't go... try next year when I might be able to go too!! :lol:

·
Registered
551 Posts

And because it does not go :confused: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

·
124,507 Posts

We have the schedule thread and everything with him at the moment is decided to Miami and then afterwards it's open to adaption.

·
Registered
551 Posts

I need to know if wrath or no :sad: , because I must myself buy the tickets

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

These TV NZ "awards" include Gastón and that´s my excuse for posting this amusing article here!:D

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/488120/958996

Heineken Open awards

Jan 14, 2007

The weather may not have played its part but the 2007 Heineken Open has certainly seen its share of drama on and off the court.

Marathon matches, big upsets and temper tantrums have marked this year's tournament, which was won by David Ferrer in the battle of the Spaniards over Tommy Robredo on Saturday.

The votes are in and the judges' decision is final as tvnz.co.nz presents the first Heineken Open awards.

Best match - Quite a few to choose from with all four quarter-finals producing some great play, so did the semi between Mardy Fish and David Ferrer but the award goes to Olivier Rochus v Juan Monaco in round two. Shoved onto Court 4 due to the "Terrible Tuesday" wash-out these two whippets played exhilarating tennis in front of a packed audience. Both men gave their best and covered every inch of the court with some sublime play. Qualifier Monaco won on the day 7-5 5-7 6-3 but yet again Rochus played his part at the Heineken Open. Last year he was involved in perhaps the best match ever at the tournament against Jarkko Nieminen. This man must play Centre Court every match here!!

Worst match - Quite what happened to Daniele Bracciali will perhaps never be known. Was it nerves; an injury or just a slump in confidence but his display against David Ferrer in round two was abysmal. Maybe he left the iron on in his hotel room because he didnt want to hang around, winning just one game.

Best temper tantrum - this award was already winging its way to Argentina as Gaston Gaudio stomped, shouted, grimaced, swore and took his anger out on a helpless microphone in losing in round one. However it had to be diverted to Florida as Mardy Fish sneaked in with a last-gasp effort, destroying his racket in spectacular fashion in his semi against Ferrer.

Best underdog performance - Qualifiers are a strange lot. Some end up being cannon fodder in the opening round, while others surprise and go far in tournaments, so step forward Juan Monaco. The Argentine came through three rounds to win through to the main draw and despatched Kiwi hope Dan King-Turner in round one. Everyone was expecting the story to end there but the world number 71 thought otherwise, defeating fan favourite Rochus in three before taking on seventh seed Agustin Calleri later on the same day. Monaco gave all he had before losing in the last eight, having played an amazing 62 games in one day. Great name and a great entertainer. Honourable mentions go to fellow qualifiers Lukas Rossol and Woong-Sun Jun who played way above their world rankings before losing to seeded players.

Worst performance - the weather. Tuesday was washed-out; Friday nearly went the same way, with the rain also making an unwelcome appearance on finals day.

Worst on court performance - A lot was spoken about up-and-coming wildcards Gael Monfils and Juan Martin Del Potro before the tournament. Heineken Open organisers like to source future champions and felt confident that Monfils and Del Potro would bring entertainment and passion to Auckland. They were both turfed out in the opening round. Maybe next year guys. Honourable mention to Janko Tipsarevic, who lost a first set on tie-break to Kristof Vliegen and then won only five points in the second.

Worst hair - Really Nicolas Massu, do you think you're sexy?

Retro clothing award - Tommy Robredo's outfit and headband made him look like he stepped out of Wimbledon in 1985.

Best name - Close one between Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo and Mardy Fish but the American just wins it only because it was so difficult not to use puns using his name. "Fish Flounders", "Fish all at Sea," "Battered Fish" etc, you get the idea. When he was playing Ancic, commentator Andrew Saville came up with "Fish Ancic". Say it a few times and get the ketchup.

The "and you are" anonymous award - Simon Aspelin, Chris Haggard, Jeff Coetzee and Rogier Wassen. They competed in the finals in the doubles in case you didnt know.

Best atmosphere - the outside courts on Thursday. Fans packed out every inch of Court 4 and 6 as the sun shone on and some of the best matches in the tournament were played just metres from each other.

The missing event award - the doubles. Only three matches were played at the ASB Tennis Centre until the final due to the weather. Cue lots of journeys across the bridge to Albany.

Quote of the tournament - Tommy Robredo clattered into the net during the final causing some damage to his, ahem, manhood. In the post-match interview he admitted "I may not have any children".

Value for money award - Nicolas Massu and Juan Ignacio Chela took three hours to finish their second round match on Court 6. Some fans with numb bums on the concrete there.

The stalker award - Keith Quinn and Lavina Good. They needed to fill in time during the rain by interviewing anyone and everyone involved at Stanley Street. If you stood in one place long enough you would be guaranteed your 15 minutes on TV ONE.

Good sport award - David Ferrer wins admiration among the media for at least trying to speak English in post-match interviews. He battled bravely on despite knowing little of the language. Some other players in previous years, who we know can speak English, weren't so forthcoming.

Missing fans award - We see and hear the Croats and Chileans and to a lesser extent the Argentine support when their boys play, but where is the Spanish support? Two of your guys made the final you know. Ola? Anyone?

2521 - 2540 of 3785 Posts