Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
The season of retirements, Koubek, the King and the Gaston one far from surprising. Now he can continue enjoying his life away from the sport watching Independiente play football.

He was an original, no bullshit about him, people either liked or hated the guy.

·
Registered
13,152 Posts
I will never forget the 2004 French Open final, thank you Gaston.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
Take care Gaston. :hatoff: Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
He must have been reading this forum! I was only asking if this had happened a few days ago!

Joking aside, he was a good player who I never got much chance to watch aside from his 2004 Roland Garros run. In all fairness, he probably maxed out his career potential: 1 Grand Slam and #5 in the world being the highlights. It is, however, a shame that his period at the very top of the men's game did not last longer.

I hope Voo decides to do a thread about Gaston so I can learn more about his best matches!

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
y allá al final del camino te espero gato

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
He must have been reading this forum! I was only asking if this had happened a few days ago!

Joking aside, he was a good player who I never got much chance to watch aside from his 2004 Roland Garros run. In all fairness, he probably maxed out his career potential: 1 Grand Slam and #5 in the world being the highlights. It is, however, a shame that his period at the very top of the men's game did not last longer.

I hope Voo decides to do a thread about Gaston so I can learn more about his best matches!
Gaston's very best matches try the Barcelona 2002 event, the first one he won without losing a set.

Code:
64	W	 Albert MONTANES (ESP)	6-3 6-2
32	W	 Thomas ENQVIST (SWE)	6-4 6-2
16	W	 Carlos MOYA (ESP)	6-4 6-2
QF	W	 Alberto MARTIN (ESP)	6-2 6-4
SF	W	 Lleyton HEWITT (AUS)	6-4 7-5
FR	W	 Albert COSTA (ESP)	6-4 6-0 6-2
Then the 2004 QF at Roland Garros v. Hewitt this and the final against Costa were his best matches.

Gaudio had some brilliant chokes as well.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Quite frankly the best single-hand backhand I've ever seen, on a clay court at least.

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
Buena Suerte, Gato :hatoff:

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Best of luck to El Gato in his post-tennis life.

When he was on, which wasn't very often, it was beautiful, and that RG final against Coria will always stand out as a classic wtf moment in tennis.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Gaston will be so missed, but he gave it his best shot at a comeback a couple of years ago and it's the right time to announce his retirement now.

Grand slam champion, top 5 player, winner of 8 titles and owner of the most beautiful backhand. :worship:

Reactions: Xristos

·
Registered
86,336 Posts
Reactions: Xristos

·
Registered
22,207 Posts
Yeah, he must've seen the thread about his retirement getting bumped two days ago :lol:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ciao Gaston! I missed him already since he didn't play since one year.
One of my favorite player ever, thanks you to make me enjoy tennis that much :yeah:

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Enjoy your post-tennis life Gastón...

A beautiful backhand he had indeed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts