Mens Tennis Forums banner

Gasquet vs Tsonga: the battle of friends and promising french players,who will win?

• Gasquet in 3

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Gasquet in 4

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Gasquet in 5

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Tsonga in 3

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Tsonga in 4

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Tsonga in 5

Votes: 7 8.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It could be an interesting match as their last 2 encounters were very close(Richard won the last one at Bercy 7-5 7-6 while Tsonga won 6-4 6-4 at Lyon the week before)

Although i like Tsonga,i reckon i feel a bit sad because i would have preferred to have a Murray-Gasquet as they are my 2 favourite youngsters.......it would have been so exciting, not the least because of what it would have happened in this forum with all the Murraytards who love to have a go Gasquet :devil:

Coming back to the subject of this thread,i'd say Gasquet in 4.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Tsonga in 3 unless Gasquet plays more aggressively.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Both of them wonderful players which I respect lots. Still I wish for Tsonga to come through here. :angel:
No disrespect to Gasquet, here, let that be clear.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I haven't seen Gasquet having a problem with Tsonga. He reads his serve very well and gets back the return in play even if its not aggressive all the time. Tsonga must play a really good match to beat Richard, I believe. He must cut down on his errors and play percentages.

Its not so much a question if Gasquet can beat Tsonga, The more important question is if Tsonga can beat Gasquet. I think he can, but he won't this time.

Reactions: Horatio Caine

·
Registered
866 Posts
Gasquet is the more complete player, but Tsonga can get on a roll when he plays aggressively - huge serves & forehands - and finds the lines consistently. Conversely, when a part of his game breaks down, the unforced errors mount exponentially.

I'm going to vote with my heart, so I say Tsonga in 4. Allez Tsonga!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Heartbreak for me, my two favourites youngster with Murray (what a shit draw). Tsonga should play more relaxed this 4th round than in Wimbledon or USO. He has gained some valuable experience. Too bad they meet, I think they could both have been deeper with their level at this tournament. I see Gasquet in 4.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Why is everybody playing up Tsonga? Is he playing that good?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Gasquet is the more complete player, but Tsonga can get on a roll when he plays aggressively - huge serves & forehands - and finds the lines consistently. Conversely, when a part of his game breaks down, the unforced errors mount exponentially.

I'm going to vote with my heart, so I say Tsonga in 4. Allez Tsonga!
That's another thing. Gasquet is not the best returner. Tsonga's serve can give him trouble.

·
Registered
772 Posts
That's another thing. Gasquet is not the best returner. Tsonga's serve can give him trouble.
Gasquet is a very good returner. Just doesn't do it aggressively enough. I thought he read Tsonga's serve very well last time I saw them play at Bercy. The key will be if Tsonga can keep up consistency while going for his shots. He was erratic. Has he improved a lot in this Australian Open? I haven't seen him play yet.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I see nobody's looking at Wimbledon result. Funny thing, because it was best-of-5 and also in 4th round

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I see nobody's looking at Wimbledon result. Funny thing, because it was best-of-5 and also in 4th round
Tsonga Wimbledon is different from the Tsonga today.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I am surprised that some people believe that Tsonga has the upperhand in this match. I don't think he will win.

·
Registered
340 Posts
let it be gasquet in 4 sets... :angel:

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I am surprised that some people believe that Tsonga has the upperhand in this match. I don't think he will win.
I think Tsonga has a slight upperhand especially with his confidence right now. I don't think it's far fetched to believe that. :shrug:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think Tsonga has a slight upperhand especially with his confidence right now. I don't think it's far fetched to believe that. :shrug:
I have to watch Tsonga's recorded game today. If so many people believe that he is playing well, there might be an element of truth to it.

But according to me, he faced just one good opponenet in Murray, the other two were unknowns, I guess. So I am not sure if that can count against him.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
I certainly won't win. :sad:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts