Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.smh.com.au/news/tennis/balls-to-blame-gasquet/2008/01/09/1199554741525.html

These balls don't suit me, says defeated Gasquet

Jessica Halloran
January 10, 2008
Advertisement

WORLD No.8 Richard Gasquet claimed the balls used at the Sydney International and the Australian Open were jeopardising his grand slam ambitions. Gasquet, who lost to Russian Dmitry Tursunov 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 yesterday, said his game was not strong enough to cope with the Wilson balls, which "fluff-up" quickly and expand on the new Plexicushion surface.

Gasquet believes the balls favour strongly built players such as Russia's Marat Safin.

"I think the balls are difficult," Gasquet said. "The surface is great, no problem, but the balls are too big. I really don't like these balls. For the shoulder, it's hard. They're big, and coming bigger and bigger … after one game. It's really hard for my serve, for my game. I don't know why they put these balls. The court is great, but not the balls."

After losing, Gasquet said the balls were putting pressure on his shoulders and arms and he would have to adjust his game heading into the grand slam at Melbourne Park next week.

"You have to be really strong," he said. "It's not my game to be really strong. My opponent today can serve 220, 225. But me, I have to … it's really, really hard. So the balls are not good for my game. It's really slow, the surface. I heard it could be faster than last year, and I think it's slower. It's really slow with these balls. It's OK. It's the same for everybody."

Gasquet had an excellent season last year, in which he finished in the top 10 for the first time and won 49 matches, a personal best. But he struggled with a knee injury in the off-season.

"I played great last year," Gasquet said. "I had problem with my knee, so I couldn't practise a lot, but I think it's ready. It was my first tournament. The tournament is strong. I played my best, but I think I'm feeling good."

In other results yesterday, Sebastien Grosjean, Fabrice Santoro, Evgeny Korolev, Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek all advanced to the quarter-finals.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/01/09/1199554741525.html

Hmmmm....what do you guys think???

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Gasquet has a lot of 'balls' experience.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
He's getting his excuses in early before Murray trashes him in R16

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
If there's one thing about Gasquet that does irritate me, it's this tendency to complain about this that and the other in advance of a tournament, like he's getting his excuses ready, in public but also in his head, in case he loses earlier than he expects. So now, like, if he loses early, it's because the balls don't suit his game so that's okay then, nothing he can do.

Except no.

It's the same for all players, some conditions and factors will suit some players more than others, you go out there, you get on with it and try your best

For me, I'd like it better if he viewed it as one more challenge to overcome rather than a reason why he won't be able to do as well as he wants.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Gasquet's quotes could serve as a nice springboard for an article in The Onion. In fact, I almost felt as though I actually was reading a satirical piece from The Onion, considering the title, the quotes, and the source of those comments.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
If there's one thing about Gasquet that does irritate me, it's this tendency to complain about this that and the other in advance of a tournament, like he's getting his excuses ready, in public but also in his head, in case he loses earlier than he expects. So now, like, if he loses early, it's because the balls don't suit his game so that's okay then, nothing he can do.

Except no.

It's the same for all players, some conditions and factors will suit some players more than others, you go out there, you get on with it and try your best

For me, I'd like it better if he viewed it as one more challenge to overcome rather than a reason why he won't be able to do as well as he wants.
I was going to post exactly what u said regarding Gasquet. I am sure he tries as hard as anybody else but he always seems to have a complaining tone about everything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's too bad to hear these things from a supposed "prodigy". I always thought that at the least, one should be able and more than willing to adjust to the different playing conditions (which could be an advantage/disadvantage to different players). Sure, feel free to slightly whine about what puts you at a disadvantage but it would be nice to reframe it into something positive that you can overcome it. Actually, it might be Gasquet's mental toughness that might put his GS ambitions in jeopardy. I'm hoping the best for him, still : )

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Here are some varying opinions from other players of the balls fluffing up. I think it's an interesting issue, more so than the court surface:

Safin:
Well, I'm pretty sure the players who are talking like this are the ones who don't have so much power, so they are complaining; also complain when the balls are too fast, you know. So for every person it's different feel. For me, I feel like the court has to be green. But it's okay. But everybody has own feelings, sensations on the court, which makes big difference. I guess, for sure, the balls are becoming big, but for players like me, like Roddick, Roger, the ones who are hitting the ball pretty hard, I think these kinds of balls suit their game. Otherwise would be too fast, because the courts are not slow. So we need to slow down somehow the game, otherwise there would be no rallies and would be boring for everyone.
Gonzalez:
The court, it's okay. I mean, it's slow. The ball, I don't really like it. I mean, it's too heavy and too hard. I don't care if it's heavy but if it's too hard, when you don't hit in the right spot on the racquet you feel it everywhere in your arm. That's the worst part.
Murray:
Well, I think the court, now, is quite similar to the US Open, and the only difference is that the ball at the US Open tends to go smaller, the fluff gets taken off it, whereas here it gets bigger and slower. I think that's why a lot of the guys said the court feels pretty slow, because after four or five games the balls start to get pretty big. But the surface itself, I think, is a pretty fair court. I just think the balls they are using get a bit big after a few games.
Roddick:
Yeah, they are getting big. It's the nature of it. I mean, when you have a grittier surface, it's only natural when the ball hits it's going to check a little bit and rub a little bit. But, like I said yesterday, I don't think it's any different than a normal kind of gritty hard court.

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
same for Gonzalez

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here are some varying opinions from other players of the balls fluffing up. I think it's an interesting issue, more so than the court surface:

Safin:

Gonzalez:

Murray:

Roddick:
Hey A, thanks for gathering these quotes. Those were cool to read. It sounds like Gasquet isn't into the balls, but the court surface is equally at fault.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts