41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Well done Richie :D

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
Gasquet is so talented, but he needs to work on his conditioning.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Very happy! :woohoo: That's a very good news that he won his first 5 sets match and his first USO match after never having good results in North America! (Maybe the "North american season" on HC is too long and he's homesick or something?...) He failed to play in the Bronx challenger because of a bad line call, disqualification from the US Open qualifying, bad results on the two North American TMS leading up to the USO because of his tennis elbow making suffer much more than before and now despite loosing his concentration and stoping playing well (actually even playing like shit...), he still manages to win fighting. That match is another experience. It will be of great use to him in the future. He wouldn't have won it a few monts ago! That shows he made progress. But these concentration lapses he only has till recently are very worrying. :scared:
Take advantage of the two days of rest Richard! You have no points to defend anyway and you're injured! You have nothing to loose but please win at least another match there...
A question: some who saw the match said that his BH was off /less efficient than usual (or that he couldn't use it much because of his elbow...) and that he attacked much more with his FH, that he didn't serve very fast (as expected). Is this true?
And c'mon! 26 UEs in the fourth set! :rolleyes: :smash:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
His FH went awol, as it's often the case he's playing badly. Loads of UEs from the 3rd set. Half due to physical condition, and half psychological (I think that he tends to listen to himself a bit too much when things turn wrong). But it's a very important victory and he will learn A LOT from it (in fact, hard fought victories are always where you learn the most), especially that he can win 5 setters even when he doesn't feel good. He must remember that the guy in front of him is not always in a better shape (physically or psychologically) than him. And in this case, Martin handled him the victory.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Martin handed him the match on a plate.

All Martin needed to do was keep the errors down in the fifth and he would have won. Instead he gifts a break with double faults galore, throws in wild errors and let an exhausted Gasquet get through.

Tempted to say I think Martin realized the match was there for him to win and he froze. Each time he reached break point in the fifth he went to pieces.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Richard won and that's the most important.. For his first 5 set match and for someone who's supposed to have the worst stamina on the Tour, this is a promising result. He'll learn a lot about this match and Galimberti will be easier to handle with than Martin. Richard you have a golden draw, don't let pass your chance! :D

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I saw chunks of the match and Gasquet was in fine form the first 2 sets. Whatever happened in the follow-up? :confused: Anyway, I am happy the young Frenchie won, he is in one of the weakest pats of the draw and should be able to make it to the 4th round easily if he plays up!

·
Registered
55,915 Posts
Purple Rainbow said:
I saw chunks of the match and Gasquet was in fine form the first 2 sets. Whatever happened in the follow-up? :confused: Anyway, I am happy the young Frenchie won, he is in one of the weakest pats of the draw and should be able to make it to the 4th round easily if he plays up!
2nd round should be straightforward but Ljubicic in the 3rd, Roddick in the 4th? :confused:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
silverwhite said:
2nd round should be straightforward but Ljubicic in the 3rd, Roddick in the 4th? :confused:
Ljubicic has never made it past the 3rd round of a slam and hasn't played impressive tennis after a tremendous season start. A reasonably good playing Gasquet shouldn't be troubled by Ljubo.
And I stated that he'd cruise to the 4th, not that he'd make it past there! :)

·
Registered
55,915 Posts
Purple Rainbow said:
Ljubicic has never made it past the 3rd round of a slam and hasn't played impressive tennis after a tremendous season start. A reasonably good playing Gasquet shouldn't be troubled by Ljubo.
And I stated that he'd cruise to the 4th, not that he'd make it past there! :)
He was already troubled in the 1st round so forget about the cruising. :lol:

Seriously, I have no idea how he's going to return Ljubo's serve with an injured elbow. :eek: This might be Ljubo's first 4th round.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
2nd round should not be a problem seriously. Against Ljubo (if it happened), I certainly hope he will prevail. He will start slightly favourite at least. He must do that to justify his ranking.

Going further will be a bonus and will ask a very very good performance from him.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I was at that match last night...I thought he played very erratic. His timing on his forehand was off. Martin was playing very well. Gasquet came up w/ a few brillant shots. I'm glad he won...I had to go to Ashe stadium to see the start of the Sharapova match...I left a few games into the 5 set...I'm glad he pulled it out.

·
Registered
24,581 Posts
phew Richard dont go to 5 again ;)

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.