Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will someone remind Richard that the GS are best of 5? I really don't know how he's in this position. Easily leads 6-2, 6-3 and then loses the third 1-6 and now a break down in the 4th.

His play in the first two sets was impeccable but since the third he's been making UE's like there's no tomorrow. At this rate Martin is going to beat him in 5. Maybe Richard needs to work on his fitness? That's the only reason I can think he'd be so good and then so bad.. unless of course he's another headcase which I don't think he is (even if he is French)!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Re: Gasquet-Martin

his conditioning isnt great, he could definately work on that and i know what you mean about letting leads slip, he does it often, as he grows and matures he will learn things like this. this is a bettter problem to have then lets have not having certain shots. its a department which can be easily improved and will. hes going to be a frustrating player, but in 3/4 years time he will be near the top if not at the top.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

oh he's got the shots alright. aside from Federer there's no one else I'd rather watch than Richard and I pretty much think in 2/3 years he will ne challenging right at the top. however, there's no substitute for winning but winning n the sooner he learns not to let leads slip the better.

I mean this is against Martin. he's one of another in the long line of identikit Spanish players off the production line (no offence meant to Martin or the Spanish). one thing u can count on though is that Albert will run all day and try his damndest. Richard has got to figure out a game plan for beating these guys efficiently.. not by being sucked in to 5 set matches. anyway, I'll stop ranting now and just pray that Richard gets through in 4 (or 5).

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

yay.. :) Richard broke back (how I don't know.. he missed a sitter in that game at the net and nearly let Martin off the hook). now come on.. wrap in up in 4!!!

·
Registered
11,359 Posts

Never mind, the Pisser handed it back to him.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

only to lose the tiebreak 7-4. into the 5th now and it's really become a crap shoot the way Gasquet is spraying errors everywhere.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

JustmeUK said:
only to lose the tiebreak 7-4. into the 5th now and it's really become a crap shoot the way Gasquet is spraying errors everywhere.
49 errors so far from richie :eek: but to be fair martin has hit 41. so they are both playing shite

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

While I agree with 1sun, I also agree with JustmeUK that he faster he learns not to let leads slip away and to have a better mental and physical preparation, the better. He seems to have certain difficulties to deal with some situations and I won't be surprised if he loses this match now.

He's rapidly becoming one of my favorites because when he's on, it's such a joy to watch, but it's also a frustrating experience because you can see he's having a nervous breakdown. People have said he needs some intensity on court to improve his mental position in relation to the game, but I don't agree with that. It seems to me he's the Federer/Safin kind of type where emotions can only cause trouble, but I might be wrong.

I've read he's injured. Does anybody know what does he have? (not exactly in this match, back in Cincinnati he was feeling something).

·
Banned
873 Posts

Richie has no chance in the 5th. We all know his fitness is amongst the worst on tour.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

u know.. he's starting to remind me a little of Edberg. gorgeous BH but that FH does look a little awkward occasionally and he's really missing on that cross court FH tonite on top of which he's missing a lot of putaways on the short balls in the front of the court (on both sides though less on the BH). does anyone have a close up shot of Richard hitting FH? he looks like he uses a semiwestern or eastern forehand grip.

good hold though from 30-40 down to stay on serve. 2-2 now.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

is anybody watching the match? someone who is is telling me Richie looks like he's having problems with his elbow. My friend who went to Cincinnati has told me that he didn't sign autographs because of his elbow, too. :confused:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

he doesn't look like he's having problems with the elbow to me. break point to Richard for 3-2 lead (missed chance with a wild cross court BH that went wide).

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

JustmeUK said:
he doesn't look like he's having problems with the elbow to me.
ok that's good news among the bad. one of the bad being that he just blew the bp :(

come on richie!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

pryss said:
is anybody watching the match? someone who is is telling me Richie looks like he's having problems with his elbow. My friend who went to Cincinnati has told me that he didn't sign autographs because of his elbow, too. :confused:
unfortunately it's true :sad:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

he does look tired though :(. he's not even making an effort to get to some shots that he could surely reach.

·
Registered
21,867 Posts

watching him i dont think hes having elbow problems but if he wants to save this match he better get his act together with his shots

1 - 20 of 61 Posts