Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
let's make it clear,this thread has nothing to do with his yesterday's loss(he shouldn t even have played this tournament in the first place).......i simply couldn t post during the last weeks because there was a problem with my password.

So yeah,Gasquet made a sort of breakthrough at Wimbledon( as i predicted) but in my opinion,he has not improved at all.
Despite the fact he played awesomely during 3 sets against Roddick,he has still the same strenghts(backhand) and the same weaknesses(forehand,not enough self belief)

I don t think that Gasquet is mentally weak(see the way he beat Federer 2 years ago-saving several match points- or Roddick recently,being 2 sets down) BUT i think he doesn t believe enough in himself....which is not necessarly the same thing.

When he plays guys like Roddick,Federer or Hewitt,he acts a bit like he doesn t even deserve to be on the same court as them..... and that's ridiculous!
I sometimes wish he had Djokovic's self belief(without being as arrogant though) for example.

And for god's sake,do something about that forehand,Richard!
His forehand lets him down still too often ,especially on big points(remember for example his pretty weak forehand return of serve on a break point a 5-5 in the first set against Federer)
I'm still very confident about the future but with some reservations.

While i was talking about Djokovic,i must say that i'm really impressed by what this guy has achieved this year so far.
Like Federer(remember his comments about Djokovic after their Davis Cup match 8 months ago),i must admit that i certainly didn t expect him to reach the top so soon.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
He showed some pretty decent self-belief in the latter stages of the Roddick match, even at 5-5 in the fifth when he was up 40-15 and was pushed to two deuces I was expecting him to crumble but he managed to hold on. I think it was actually a backhand return that he dropped short against Federer on the break point. As regards the forehand, it has some technical weaknesses behind it but isn't it a little too late to retool such a major part of his game? It's wristy and he can be rushed on that side, but he still gets good pace behind it.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
He showed some pretty decent self-belief in the latter stages of the Roddick match, even at 5-5 in the fifth when he was up 40-15 and was pushed to two deuces I was expecting him to crumble but he managed to hold on. I think it was actually a backhand return that he dropped short against Federer on the break point. As regards the forehand, it has some technical weaknesses behind it but isn't it a little too late to retool such a major part of his game? It's wristy and he can be rushed on that side, but he still gets good pace behind it.
Actually,it's not like he needs to change his whole forehand technique but more the way he hits his forehand in some positions and particularly one position: when he steps back.
His forehand when he steps back is absolutely horrible to watch and often a gift for the opponent(it was particularly visible against Federer and even against Roddick)......it's as strange as a forehand as it gets.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
He is still too defensive and stays too far behind the baseline.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I can't imagine that many players hit their forehands well when they step back from it, what he really needs is less stepping back. If he were more dynamic with the forehand, although obviously it'll never be the supreme shot-making wing that the backhand is, he'd be much more of a force to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
agree , Gasquet is just as good as he was in 2005 , maybe it's time to hire a real coach
i think the same.
i respect all the work his coach has done until now(although i'm not convinced that other coaches wouldn t have done as well,if not better) but i truly think that it's time for Gasquet to hire a new coach.......and i say that all the more easily since he just produced his best result ever.
I know he has developped a good relation with his coach but i think that in the mid term,it won t benefit his career to stay with the same coach too many years......he needs a "booster" in his career.
In my opinion,a coach in the Brad Gilbert mould would be fantastic for him,especially in the mental aspect

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I know grass isn't as taxing as other surfaces but he seems to me to have improved his fitness since the Oz Open when he looked dead after 2 sets against Robredo.
I was worried in the latter stages of the fourth/beginning of the fifth set against Roddick when every fist pump was accompanied by a heavy puff of air, but he didn't seem to have any physical problems in that final set while Roddick looked out for the count by the end (though that was probably as much mental as physical fatigue).

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think it was actually a backhand return that he dropped short against Federer on the break point.

nope,it was a forehand return(i have this match on my hard disk) ;)

He is still too defensive and stays too far behind the baseline.
well,i don t think that you can reach a Wimbledon 1/2 final playing that way......
Personnally,i thought he played very offensively during this Wimbledon( he came a lot of times to the net for example).

·
Registered
526 Posts
I agree with you 100% richie21!!!!! I did also notice the weak forehand that he netted vs Federer at 5-5, that would have been his huge chance of winning the first set. He does show some "heart' but only when he's forced to do so. His forehand is not great at all but once in a while he will hit an awesome hard and fast forehand winner but only when he's on the run and he has no choice but to hit a winner. With the exception of his backhand, all his shots are very reactionary and his aggressiveness only surfaces as a defense against the pressure that his opponent puts on him. The guy's already ranked 7 in the world with the way he's playing, imagine his potentials if he could improve on certain weakness that we all notice. I would make him do several things to improve his game:

1. Have some self belief, don't act like you're the underdog anymore toward anyone, you're #7 now in the world, not #27 anymore.
2. Stand at the baseline, not 6 feet behind. You can't be agressive at 6 feet behind the baseline
3. Develop a new forehand because what you've got right now is not great, no power and the form is kinda ugly which is a shame because the backhand is a beauty!
4. Fire your coach and find a new one that can force you to adopt a much more agressive style of playing.

If all these changes occur, Gasquet would be so freakin dangerous IMO, even to Federer!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
3. Develop a new forehand because what you've got right now is not great, no power and the form is kinda ugly which is a shame because the backhand is a beauty!
yeah,that's ironic ,isn t it??:)
His backhand is truly a model of fluidity and should be copied by every youngster who plays with a one-handed backhand while on the other hand,his forehand is often horrible to watch.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't imagine that many players hit their forehands well when they step back from it, what he really needs is less stepping back. If he were more dynamic with the forehand, although obviously it'll never be the supreme shot-making wing that the backhand is, he'd be much more of a force to be reckoned with.

You're probably right but in Gasquet's case,you see something is wrong in the way he hits his forehand in this specific position......you have almost the feeling he just pushes the ball and don t even hit it.
it's not easy to explain it with words(even more so in a foreign language) but all i can say is that it's really strange

You spent all the time after his loss to Qureshi making this thread? :eek:
read well the first sentence of my post :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Why should we take your uncredible word for it? :scratch:
i swear you that it's the truth.
2 weeks ago,i had lost my password and so i asked MTF to send me a new password......but the problem was that although i always received the first email,i never received the second......until today.:eek:

·
Ace Loveforty
83,392 Posts
it's you that choose the password,

how can you forget that? :confused:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts